“Great Place to stay, don't pay attention to negative comments” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bent Mountain Lodge Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Copper Hill
Bent Mountain Lodge Bed and Breakfast
9039 Mountain View Dr., Copper Hill, VA 24079   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Copper Hill B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Great Place to stay, don't pay attention to negative comments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had planned a trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway. For my trip, I booked a lodge on the parkway, however do t the government shutdown, I had to find alternate lodging. I saw Bent Mountain Lodge, but was a little concerned because some of the negative comments I saw on tripadvisor. I don't know who those people were or what their expectations were. The lodge sits on the top of Bent Mountain. About 4 miles from the parkway. photos of the lodge give you a good indication of the lounge area and also the kitchen. The view is breath taking. You should expect about 1 mile of gravel roadway to get to the lodge. My van did the climb with no problem.
While in the lodge, I felt like i was in my own home. There was a guest fridge that had items that guests could help themselves too. Every morning there is coffee, fresh fruit (great local apples), muffins, which can be toasted. We run in the mornings, but the owners left the food out for us to serve ourselves.
We arrived late and the owner waited for us to insure that we got to our room. The lodge has rooms in the main building and additional rooms outside the main lodge. We stayed in the main lodge. Again, it felt like I was staying in my own home.

The owners left us on our own, which is the way we wanted things and acommondated a few requests that we had. They also helped us find local places including a running area.

Our room was $120 per night, which is about $40 less than what it would have cost on the parkway. I found the cost of the room very reasonable and the most inexpensive of our trip.

During our 7 day trip we stayed at the Biltmore in Asheville, N.C. as well as Kiawah Island Resort in SC. I mention this only to say that I have stayed in a number of hotels. I would certainly return to the Bent Mountain Lodge. It is different than these other two hotels, but just as good.

Any concerns I had because of comments,were certainly dispelled.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was a wonderfully relaxing weekend in a gorgeous mansion. We were able to enjoy the great room, the deck, and our Jacuzzi tub in our room. The pets are friendly and cute and the owners were very nice.

Room Tip: We chose a room in the house, which we enjoyed because we were able to use the kitchen and great roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

If you are staying for a night or two as a single guest this place might work fine - but for those who are interested in this property for an event DO NOT book!!

We had several issues with hosting our event here - nothing was cleaned for our outdoor wedding (all tables and chairs we had rented on the property had spider webs and were dirty) - we had to clean them on our own, Jesse was extremely rude to our guests during check in, when we visited the property one week prior to our event we asked that the tables & chairs be cleaned and the grill moved for the day as we were using the entire patio for our event (neither happened - finally 4 hours before our event he moved the grill but did not turn off his gas line, when the gas started leaking during our event he marched thru our guests and was dragging the large grill back to its original place), table cloths and long tables were also to be included in our rental - we practically had to beg for these and had to get the long tables ourselves, Jesse also helped himself to beer and was taking photos of our event and marching thru guests at every turn (I would like to add that he did not ask permission to take photos of our event), finally - two days prior to our event he informs our caterer that she cannot use the kitchen (when we booked our event and up until one day after our event it stated online that you could use the kitchen), we finally had to settle on use of the kitchen but not the stove/oven - this was even a stretch and he had originally set it that our caterer would have to set up a tent outside and have a make shift kitchen, oh and we were asked to take extra trash out with us because apparently cleaning was not included either!

Jesse made us feel like we were trespassing even though he made over $5000 from us for that weekend - what was originally agreed to did not happen and we paid top dollar for everything and received very little in return (and nothing that had been agreed upon). If I had to do it over I would never book my event at Bent Mountain Lodge.

• Stayed July 2013
JesseLawrence, Owner at Bent Mountain Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
We regret the misunderstandings outlined in the complaint. Prior to agreeing to any event like this we sit down with the bride to be and go over all the details and write down our agreement and make it clear that the location is out home and we expect everyone to respect it as such. We always make it clear that we are renting the outside space to be set up and arranged by guest and cleaned and returned to original state by the guest. Kitchen is always only used by caterer to distribute food and cooking on the premise is not allowed by us and local health department. caterers know this but try to short cut their costs and mislared their clients. later parents get involved and want to arrange things the way they want and were not a party to original discussions. Clients were from Colorado so distance was a problem in communications. We discussed all of these issues a week adead of wedding but clients were not willing to accept answers and just moved ahead as if it was going to be their way no matter what. There were many other issues but in any case we regret the issues. this is the first wedding in 10 years that we have had such a problem. There were just too many chiefs directing the event. jesse lawrence

Travelers are raving about these Copper Hill hotels

Bent Mountain, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Super location with Mountain views that are breath taking....

However, The over-all first impression of the B&B was not very inviting....upon our arrival, we were not greeted in the lodge, there appeared to be no one around. We did call out for a response, and finally a man came out of his office. He did not introduce himself, and our reaction to his attitude and persona was not very friendly or hospitable. We gathered by the ensuing conversation he was the owner. My thoughts were, the owner, (i saw his name on a diploma on the office wall) we were "invading his castle", and he really didn't want to bother with the process of checking us in, and showing us our rooms etc...

His wife, came to greet us, as we ate breakfast on the deck, and she was delightful! The breakfast was a completely "self serving", which was okay, but not exactly what you might expect in a Lodge that cost $150.00 per night.

Over all the Lodge had beautiful surroundings, and nature was abundant, all around you. But the atmosphere that the owner created, give off bad vibes. May I suggest, the lady of the lodge, meet and greet the visitors, and I am betting the entire experience would be much better.
I would describe Jesse at  times, as arrogant and rude, not at all what one would expect when staying in a B&B. The rooms were clean but the odor was not pleasant. It was obvious they were trying to cover up the musty  and mildew odor with a chemical...which was overwhelming.  . I doubt we would stay there again...unless Jessee's wife handled all the "greetings" and check in process. She was delightful.

Room Tip: Try not to get the large suite on the lower floor.....it had a musty and mildew odor to it, and the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
JesseLawrence, Manager at Bent Mountain Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
I have to admit that my wife Bonnie is a much nicer person and more inviting than i am. However am I really that bad? I am very sorry for the impression i left with you, it certainly was not my intent. We are pretty casual around her as it is our home and we try to treat people the way we would family visiting. we leave folks to their privacy unless they want to talk and we are always willing to visit. We enjoy having folks from all walks of life stay with us and that is why we share our home with so many. 42 stares and 10 foreign countries this year and for 10 years. Our success speaks for itself. Some folks arrive tired and I try to get them settled quickly and be a helpful as possible. Our breakfast is detaied on website and is self service so folks can come at their leasure if they want breakfast. Anyway I hope you will give us another chance sometimes. Jesse lawrence
Tucson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The location is very nice, and it was scenic. The man (I think he was the owner) that showed us our room was not very friendly. That is OK, we could deal with that. However, when we arrived in our room we were overwhelmed with the odor of what I suspect was an extreme overuse of a cleaning product, perhaps Febreeze. We opened the windows on both sides of the room and tried to air out the room for two hours while we visited a near by town. When we returned, the room was still unihabitable. The cleaning product odor was so strong it was irritating our lungs.Because it was affecting our health. We contacted the owner and all he could offer was for us to sleep on the couches in common living room of the place. Not a good thing, and then we would have to pay full price for at their room rate. We ended up having to stay in another hotel in a nearby town. Since we were not able to stay there, we challenged the charge on our credit card bill since they did not render the services they advertised, which were a place where we could sleep. They refused to credit our charge card.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
We regret the issues outlined in this complaint. This is a extra large suite and the most popular of all our suites. There are times in any location that some folks have greater sensitivites to cleaning materials than others. We have no way to know about folks with these issues ahead of time if they do not say something. This is our home and we use same cleaning materials throughout our home. We never offered to put people in our living room on the sofas as an alternative as stated, that is silly. We have completed 10 years and 3500 reservations so our success speaks for itself. We value doing a good job fpr our guest and are blessed with many returns year after year. We had folks from 42 states and 10 foreign countries this year and we enjoyed them all. Jesse lawrence
Bloomfield, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

If you like B&B's that have paper thin walls, dogs barking through the night, a do-it-yourself breakfast, and a curmudgeon for a host -- all for the exalted price of $137 a night -- welcome to your dream lodge.

When my wife and I entered the (alleged) B&B it appeared empty save for an elderly guest lying on the sofa watching FOX News. We walked around looking for the host and finally called out with "Hello." Up popped the gentlemen from the couch -- he was the owner. He didn't appear happy to see us except to demand payment in full not too long after a cursory hello. He was also not happy or helpful in providing requested information on restaurants. In fact, he gave misinformation about the nearest town, which, if accurate, would have improved our dinner that night.

The room was clean and the view was beautiful, but the walls were made of cardboard and we could clearly hear quiet conversations from the adjoining rooms while trying to sleep. Note that I wear a hearing aid, but not to bed. I guess I should be thankful for the persistent barking of one of the owner's dogs through the night, protecting the bikes in our car, but I was not. (Note that we have 3 dogs and we'd take corrective steps if this happened at our home.)

Bent Mountain really should be renamed either Motel or Bed & Snack. Breakfast consisted of toast which you make yourself and assorted breakfast bars. You want butter on that toast? Walk over to the refrigerator and get it yourself. Check out the cheap yogurt and fruit cup in heavy syrup while you're there. Did I tell you the coffee was undrinkable? If the owners read this be aware that the second B in the title means a full, sit down breakfast.

Worst lodging experience I've ever had. We felt ripped off. Worse is that it appears from reviews elsewhere that this is the de rigeur from Bent Mountain and they apparently don't wish to make changes.

Save. Your. Money. Caveat emptor.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
My apologies for any misunderstandings. Continental Breakfast was exactly as advertised. Food is presented as required by local health department. After 3500 reservations over 10 years, a few folks fail to read a complete description of breakfast on the website so we we check them in we take them to the kitchen and explain about breakfast. As far as complaint about thickness opf oflls, the construction of this facility more than meets normal Our prices are more than competitive and people often comment that we should charge more. We try to let folks have their privacy. Our dogs do bark at times when a deer, turkey or bear pss by us but they are kept insde our barn in a seperate building. We do at times have a guest with a barking dog but they are also always kept in our cabin suites in a seperate building.
Our success speaks for itself. But in any case we always hate for folks to leave and their expectaions are not met. jesse lawrence
Springfield, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The Property and views are beautiful. Bonnie is warm and hospitable but Jesse does, however, truly seem bothered by having guests at the property. We had rented rooms for the past 7+ years - same weekend/ same rooms for a family reunion. Last year, our parents (80's) cancelled their room 2 weeks in advance due to illness. The room was immediately rented to someone else- we know this as we saw people come to the Property looking for a room and turned away because all the rooms were filled. Red Flag/ Concern: Two weeks advance notice of cancellation by a repeat customer, the room was rented and no lost income incurred, and yet NO REFUND of the DEPOSIT. Our parents called to follow up to see if it was a mistake and were told - there are no refunds. Be aware.

Each year when we ask about reserving for the next, we have been told - not now, we'll do it later. We assumed, as loyal repeat customers, that it would continue in the same manner. We called in early March to finalize what we thought were our standing reservations for the end of July to be told sorry - no room at the Inn.
We're disappointed and ending our patronage.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We always enjoyed having you folks stay with us and we have always tried to treat you as family and perhaps it is true that familiarity breeds contempt. We always gave you the run of the place including the kitchen and the oven you left on and left and other guest had to put out the resulting fire. Replaced oven $2500.00. but still you were always welcome. I often called you to alert that rooms were filling up as this weekend is always very busy. We booked a wedding this particular year and they took all the rooms. Surely it is not our responsibility to keep up with your plans. as far as deposits we have always had a firm policy of no refunds for deposits and it is spelled out very clearly on the website. We did rerent the room for one night at the last day of the cancellation but reservation was for two nights. Most reservations for that week are for three or four nights but we always rented to you all for two nights and lost the opportunity for more nights from others. We do regret the misunderstanding and the ill will you now feel towards us after so many years. Hope you will consider coming back sometime if just to say hello while you are down the hill. Jesse lawrence

Been to Bent Mountain Lodge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!