“Would be perfect if not next to the railroad” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Would be perfect if not next to the railroad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

This hotel was very clean and even smelled brand new, even though the occupancy permit on the wall was from 2009. The train is pretty loud because there is an at-grade crossing right next to the hotel and the train blows its horn as it passes. I am a pretty heavy sleeper but heard at least two trains pass through the night. As posted in other reviews, the hotel does provide earplugs along with a memo stating "Sorry about the train."

Room Tip: The railroad tracks are on the back side of the building, so hopefully a room on the front side woul...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I only stayed here one night but plan on returning. I was originally concerned because I had read the other reviews regarding the train waking me up in the middle of the night. Yes, this hotel is right in front of very busy train tracks. when checking in I told the clerk my concerns, she said she would put me in the front of the hotel to minimize the noise. I did notice the sound of the train occassionally but not enough to keep me awake or disturb me. Beds were so comfortable. Room was very clean and upgraded, granite coutertops, nice appliances, great LCD tv, etc. I used they gym twice - nice equipment, etc. The laundry facility was a bonus. Lots of machines and front loaders for free! All in all, great stay and nice place. I will still here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Colonial Heights, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

The backside of the hotel is next to the train tracks and you will have ear plugs in your room.

However, the rooms are clean and I love the kitchenette and the free washer/dryers.

The maids are great and deserve five stars but their services are geared towards extended stay customers.

The location is easy to access off I-95 but the train is horrible which hurts my location rating.

The price comparable to other hotels so do you want a free breakfast (do not stay here) or a free washer/dryer and kitchenette?

I have stayed here in 2009 and I have noticed that the pillows are older now and should be replaced but the mattresses are wonderful. I would stay here again especially if I need to do laundry for free.

I have stayed here before with my dog, an OLD yellow labrador retriever and they were at least nice enough to give me a ground floor room but the hotel has gone down and if you can't sleep through a train whistle, don't stay here. However, I will probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are farther from the train
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night. We chose this hotel because it has a kitchen, which when you are on a road trip allows you to eat healthily. It is also part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group chain, and they have a sterling reputation for quality.

Our stay had an unfixable problem, and a fixable problem.

This hotel has rooms facing an active train track and rooms that do not face the train tracks. Our room faced the train tracks. We arrived at night, so I discovered this fact when I read the welcome letter which begins "We are sorry for the train...here are a set of ear plugs." (see photo)

I looked outside our window to see a huge bright white light - one of those parking lot lights perched right outside our window (see photo). For that, there was a set of heavy blackout curtains. The message is obvious: to fall to sleep, you must mask both your hearing and your vision. Clearly, both of these are unsolvable problems.

On top of this, the refrigerator was making horrendous noise, and at midnight were moved to another room. Presumably, this was a one-off problem, and the hotel handled it adequately although the maintenance person was a grump.

Front desk staff was efficient and friendly.

The unsolvable problem of the noise and the light (plugs and drapes are not solutions, they are stop-gaps) make this place a hotel to avoid.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Newnan, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Candlewood Suites, the service was excellent, guest check in excellent, all employee were courteous. The breakfast bar was the best we have ever had. Excellent value. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay comfortable and pleasant.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

As a regular Tripadvisor user, for whatever reason, I did not check the reviews of this hotel before my husband and I arrived. I REALLY wish I had. In all my years of travel, I have never experienced such a blatant pet fee RIP OFF!!! It's absurd, and is an obvious attempt to gouge pet owners. There are so many pet-friendly hotels to choose from that charge very small fees and/or refundable fees for a well-behaved pet. This hotel is charging an outrageous $75 FOR ONE NIGHT!!! My itemized bill said $99 for the one night stay, plus a $75 pet fee. After arguing this fee with the hotel manager for 10 minutes, the fee was reduced to $25, which is at least tolerable, though still out of line in terms of what all other hotels charge. And the manager made a point of telling me that the only reason she was reducing the fee, is because I wasn't told about it when I made the reservation. She insisted that the $75 fee for one night is an entirely acceptable charge. This place should be reported to the Better Business Bureau.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

This is a lovely hotel and the staff was friendly. We asked for a quiet room and we were given a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the back of the hotel. Little did we know that the train tracks were a few feet away. Trains travel on the tracks every hour all night long, rattling the bed and blowing their whistles as they approached the crossing just beyond the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights? Share your experiences!