“Terrible place to stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Tides Inn Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colonial Beach
Tides Inn Bed & Breakfast
You added Tides Inn Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
200 N. Irving Ave., Colonial Beach, VA 22443   |
Chester, Virginia
“Terrible place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We rented the most expensive room $200 with tax. For $200 I expected shampoo, conditioner and at least two bars of soap in the bathroom. The only thing we got was 1 bar of soap and 1 washcloth.

I told the InnsKeeper, who is NOT nice at all, that I was vegetarian and was it possible to get a veg. breakfast. She said, "well I need to make breakfast for the runners (there was a marathon going on that day)." Well that was fine, but I was a guest too. The next morning there were three little veggie quiches on the table and by the time I sat down to eat, they were all gone. Other guests took them. That was fine, but the Innskeeper never came out to the dining area to serve anyone. The food ran out, and everyone was just out of luck. You would figure for $200 a night you would at least get a nice breakfast, with a little service. My breakfast probably cost $5.00 which consisted of watermelon.

I would NOT recommend this place as it is the WORST place we have every stayed. It was a waste of $200. 1 bar a soap, 1 washcloth, watermelon and a RUDE Innskeeper is not what I call a nice evening.

Room Tip: My best tip is NOT to go!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Blue Bell, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I am sad to give this review of when we stayed in August of 2011. The owners of the Breakers and the Tides Inn are friends --- and if you stay at the Breakers drinks will be served at the Tides Inn.
I thought both owners were kind, low key and accomodating. The Breakers is interesting in structure. The owners allow you to use the golf cart for free--which my kids and I LOVED.
However, the Breakers and the Tides Inn smells of smoke CONSTANTLY. I hope that the owners will read this and learn. You smell the smoke in your room, during breakfast--- everywhere in the house and you even smell it on the front porch if you choose to eat out there.
If you have an allergy, or loathe smoke this is NOT the place for you.
The only reason I am writing this is to forwarn people about this issue. I wish I knew about this ahead of time.
If this is not an issue--stay here! The owners are soooo kind.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

Not worth the money to stay there. TVs need to be updated. A lot of work to the house. Still need be done. And it's not a made to order breakfast. They make what they wanna make. I made reservations for 125. Check out the charge the 135. It's a bad example of a bed and breakfast place.

• Stayed October 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I expected so much more from this place after reading the other reviews and was sorely disappointed. The house had a funny smell (wet dog + cookies) and didn't look at all like it received too much TLC (bulbs were missing from the chandelier in the landing, and from our room lights, there was dust everywhere and visible cobwebs). Even though I had reserved our room many days in advance, there was no soap in the bathroom (technically there should have been more than one soap since we had said there would be 5 people in our group). The air conditioning was not turned on and when I went to look for the innkeepers they were nowhere to be found. I rang the bell, called their phone and finally knocked on the door to the private quarters and still no one. So we spent the night miserably hot.
The redeeming factor was that the innkeeper refunded our money for the second night's stay and the breakfast, though very meager, was quite delicious. I am glad though that we did not stay the second night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Excellent place to stay! This was my first time staying at a Bed & Breakfast. I have to say it really exceeded my expectations. The Innkeeper was very pleasant and helpful at all times. I will definitely be staying here again!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I chose to stay at The Breakers, the "sister" B&B just across the road from The Tides. Although The Tides was very nice, I loved The Breakers. This was one of the best B&B experiences I've ever had. It is a great location, an easy couple of minutes walk to the beach and good dining. You feel absolutely safe walking home from restaurants at night in this well-lit area (not that there seems to be too much crime in this sleepy water town).

If you want a true getaway with peace and quiet, this is the B&B for you. I stayed in the master suite on the third floor (only room on the floor). While the bedroom itself wasn't as large as some of the other rooms, it was roomy enough with a very nice sitting room -- both with spectacular views of the water. (NOTE: You can see the sunrise through the floor to ceiling window from the bed -- but it's worth rising early to watch it from the beach.) The room's private bath ... wow ... the size of a bedroom with marble floor and huge marble shower. Loved the "dresser sink."

You couldn't ask for kinder and attentive innkeepers. Licensing issue with serving wine and cheese, instead I had an afternoon tea which I so enjoyed on the comfortable front porch. That is also where I had my delicious and filling breakfast.

This inn is well worth the trip and money. My only regret is not staying longer -- but I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: If available, The Breakers suites with water view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

My friend and I had a great girls’ getaway at The Tides Inn. A few days before we headed to Colonial Beach, I called to confirm my reservation and ask if we could leave a few items inside the inn since we’d be arriving before check-in. We were informed that there was no one staying in our room the night before, so we could check in any time. Nice!

We arrived around 10 a.m., found the owner, Megan Davis, and checked right in. She showed us our room, gave us a quick description of the Colonial Beach area, and let us know there was a cocktail hour around 5 and continental breakfast the next morning. When she found out we were planning to hit the beach, she also offered us beach chairs to use for the duration of our stay, and told us what areas were nicer for laying out.

Our room was actually across the street from the Tides Inn at The Breakers, an old building that had been used as a hotel since around 1906. Our room was newly renovated with white carpet, two queen beds (that made for a very comfy sleep) and a marble bathroom. There were lots of windows, making for a really nice, airy room. The TV didn’t have cable, but Megan had put three girl-weekend-friendly DVDs in our room, so no big deal. Our room didn’t have soap or other toiletries in it, but I think it’s because we arrived early and a few final details hadn’t been set up in the room. Again, no big deal since we both travel with our own stuff, but I noticed other rooms had them, so I’m sure we could have gotten some with a call to Megan.

We spent the day on the beach, then returned to our room around 5 for wine and snacks. We enjoyed a nice glass of sauvignon blanc and some DELICIOUS hummus and toasted bread from Megan’s daughter’s The Tides Inn Market, which is in the front of the Tides Inn. The Breakers has a long patio with lots of chairs, which were nice for sitting out during cocktail hour and breakfast the next day.

Speaking of breakfast, it too was very good. Each person got a homemade quiche, and there was delicious bread, preserves, butter and cream cheese, along with orange juice and coffee.

Location was also great: a few blocks to the beach, a great French/Thai restaurant nearby, an ice cream shop nearby and the Tides Inn Market in the front.

My only minor quibble: I’ve never stayed at a B&B before, and once or twice it was a little hard to find the owner if we had a quick question. I forgot to bring a wine key with me, and felt kind of bad barging into the market when I wanted to see if I could borrow one. Similarly, I went into the market when I couldn’t find Megan right away to check in and check out. I don’t think this was a big deal, but I just felt bad bothering Megan’s daughter when she had her own business to run. Each time I went in with questions, everyone was very polite and found answers for me, though.

I’d definitely return here the next time I’m in Colonial Beach. It was the perfect place for an affordable, elegant weekend away.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Tides Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!