“Always was a fan, but interesting last couple of visits...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Radford, Virginia
“Always was a fan, but interesting last couple of visits...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have always loved El Gran Rodeo, favorite Mexican restaurant in the NRV. However, the last two times I have been there, have been less than up to par. Most recently, I was there yesterday for lunch with my daughter. I always order the same thing - You Pick Two where there are several items listed like taco, enchilada, burrito, quesadilla, etc. and you pick whichever two items you want and it comes with rice and beans...great price for all you get too!

So I settle in yesterday and go to order my usual, two cheese burritos - when the waiter, who has never waited on me before, tells me I can't have two cheese burritos, I have to pick two DIFFERENT items. I was shocked, to say the least, and said "But I ALWAYS order this the same way every time I come here..." He said, "I don't know how you've done it, once you select burrito on the computer, that choice goes away and you must enter a different item". I questioned him a couple more times, but he just stared at me like he didn't care, I just needed to do what he said and pick something different. I should have asked for a manager, but I don't usually raise a stink at a restaurant, so I just got a quesadilla instead.

For the second time in a row, the cheese was not melted inside the burrito and had to go back. I will certainly give it another chance, and next time, I will insist on speaking with a manager, I just feel like the service and food is suffering a little bit and hope that when the other restaurant opens in Fairlawn, it will get better.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Pelham, New York
“Lacking a little Spice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The place is beautiful but needs a little umph, like maybe some paintings on the walls or something. It looks clean, new but unfinished, feels like eating in a cafeteria almost.
The food was good and coming from NY, good prices too.

Visited September 2013
Pensacola, FL
“Fast service and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Like most Mexican restaurants the food was prepared in advance and was heated up to serve. They supply you with ample chips and salsa as an appetizer and they are good.
We ordered the Steak Fajita and split it. It was good tasting and filled the twoi of us up.
I have eaten there before and I would go back to this restaurant to eat again.
Prices are very reasonable.

Visited October 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Favorite Mexican Place in the NRV”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

When I want Mexican, this is my go-to place. Atmosphere is nice, but the food is consistently delicious. If we want Mexican specialties or if we want standard burritos or tacos, this place always offers the freshest taste around. That's why there's frequently a line out the door to eat here!

Visited August 2013
western va
“Memorable meal at El Gran Rodeo”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We tried this restaurant based on Trip Advisor rave reviews. The service staff is very friendly and helpful. We found our food choices, the taco beef salad and enchiladas supreme to be totally lacking in quantity, taste, and the exceptional preparation reported by other reviewers. Not what we expected and surely not the best Mexican food available in the area.

• Visited August 2013