“Good Stay - Temporary Issues” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
Kanawha Valley
“Good Stay - Temporary Issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very friendly staff at the counter. Great breakfast offerings. Comfortable and clean. However... their elevator was out of order and the stairwell to our room was not heated - in Winter! After a large snow, there was a sea of slippery ice all around the busy part of the building that was never addressed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Patsy W, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Sorry for the delayed response, but we did want to say thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy that your stay here was so pleasing, and we most certainly hope you'll come and stay with us again the next time you're in our area. We've made lots of improvements to the hotel since your stay.....new room furniture, new paint, and we are now 100% smoke-free!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Outstanding service and comfort we received at the Comfort Inn during out stay between Christmas and New Year. They allowed us to celebrate my fathers 80th birthday in the breakfast room and it could not have been more suitable. The staff was incredible. So nice to see kind, friendly and smiling staff! You all were a blessing. Pool was exceptionally nice. The grand-kids and great grand -kids will never forget you! lol The only suggestion would be to repair the hot-tub-it was cold :( (especially for the oldies) Had family from Dallas, Pittsburg, and hometown Nashville and we were all very pleased with your staff, location and the overall experience. Happy New Year!

Terri Nashville 2012

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tim S, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. It's wonderful to hear you found the staff very helpful and accommodating. We work hard to provide our guests with comfortable and friendly service. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

OK for a Comfort Inn. I assigned this an overall average because of the unusual electrical configuration of the electrical sockets in the rooms (except the microwave and fridge socket). The lower plug of all the sockets is controlled by the electric switch by the front door, which also turned on the ceiling light just inside the door...so when I turned off the switch to what I thought was only the overhead light, off went the tv and all the wall lights in the room...total darkness. Once I called the front desk and they told me how the sockets worked I had no problem when I changed all the lamp plugs and tv plug to the upper socket...so I could watch tv and have the bedside light on with the ceiling light off. Unusual, and potentially dangerous if you are not aware of this. My mother (in another room) did not realize this, so although she thought her phone and camera were charging overnight they were not. Of note, I could not have both the bedside light and electric clock on at the same time if the ceiling light was off, so I chose to have the bedside light so I could turn it off from bed and no clock.
Strange!

Room Tip: Take an extension cord with multiple outlets!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We have recently renovated our hotel and have taken care of the electrical issues you spoke of. We hope you get a chance to come back and see all of our improvements!
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Warm and friendly staff counter the below average condition of the room; loose wallpaper, cracked ceiling, broken bathroom door lock and shower curtain rod precariously holding onto wall. BUT, if you stay when JoAnn is providing breakfast, your morning is off to a sunny start. Clean buffet and dining area, fresh food and coffee; no matter how large the crowd, she manages to keep up with it all and maintain a bright, welcoming smile.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your stay and review. We are so happy to hear that our staff provided you with excellent service and that you enjoyed your breakfast. I apologize that the room did not meet your expectations. We have recently renovated the hotel and would invite you to return and see the improvements we have made. We are certain we can make your entire stay a more pleasurable experience!
Ashburn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our family has been traveling to Radford for the last 2 1/2 years. In the past we have always stayed at the Comfort Inn- nice staff, clean rooms and decent breakfast however over the last 6 months the quality has gone down hill. The rooms have not been updated and are beginning to show wear...they were not great 2 years ago but now they have deteriorated to the point where they need replaced and badly! This most recent visit consisted of 2 trips one on a Sunday and Monday night- we had 2 rooms, they were clean but falling apart, we had a joining rooms and one of the locks on the doors between the 2 rooms fell off in our hands! The overall decor was showing wear, bathroom wall paper tearing, bedding thready, carpet- well not so nice, the table in one of the rooms was sticky with something. I had booked another room for Friday night as I was dropping another child off at college...we checked in late around 7.30 in the evening, I dropped off my bag, turned on the air and went right back out to continue helping my child get settled in her dorm room. By the time I returned to the room it was around 11.30 at night. A gentleman was at the front desk wanting to check in but there was NO vacancy (this will be important later in the review). I went to the room and even after having the air conditioner on for several hours there was still a strong odor of smoke in the room,even though it was a non-smoking room...being that it was nearly midnight, there was no vacancy in the hotel and I was extremely tired from moving my child in... I chose not to complain at that time...I hoped to just sleep and deal with it in the morning..Though I had considered going to my car to sleep- that is how bad it was. Upon checking out in the morning I let the girl know at the desk that I was dissatisfied and wanted to be comped for the room...she told me she could not do that but could give me 50% off...I wanted to speak to a manager as I thought this situation was not good and since I had requested a non-smoking room and it was labeled as such, I should not have to pay. The girl then told me that it had "recently been converted to a non-smoking room"- well placing a placard on the door with a non-smoking symbol does not constitute a non-smoking room...since we have stayed there on many, many occasions, I know what the linens, carpet and window treatments look like and these had never been replaced- which one would NEED to do to transform the room to non-smoking...smoke lingers in linens, carpet and mattresses. Anyway, I asked to speak to the manager....after 2 calls I was given the opportunity to speak with him...I explained my problem and was immediately given a hostel attitude and was told that 1) people have different sensitivities (well, smoke is smoke and if one is a non-smoker that person is sensitive to any smoke smell- I suggested that he come an take a look at the room for himself and he said " You don't tell me what to do"- seriously, he said this to me! unbelievable! 2) I was told it was my fault for not saying something at check-in...what were they going to do, the hotel was booked! 3) This manager continued to yell at me to the point where I gave the phone back to the girl and told her that I would not speak to him any further...and that I wanted the GM's number, she told me she was "not allowed" to give out her number- really? But that she would be in on Monday and I could call her then...which I will be doing. It is not the fact that they were not willing to comp the room it was the fact that the manager was rude and disrespectful to a customer....even if a manager believes a customer is wrong...he or she should never tell a customer that they were at fault for a situation like this! I will never go back and will tell everyone I know not to stay there..(which is quite a few families since 2 universities are there and a great many kids from our area attend those universities) I will also be calling Comfort Inn upper management and reporting this property. The staff has all been recently turned over (after 2 1/2 years I got to know a great number of the front desk people- they are no longer there)....I wonder why!

Room Tip: do not stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nabee Y, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your inputs and we value our guests comments.
I'm sorry for what you have experience with us. We are trying our best to improve our service everyday. And the next time your visit, you would get quality service from us.

Hendersonville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Disappointed, shower rod was falling off wall therefor curtain wouldnt close. Looked under one bed and found wads of tissues filled with something? Told front desk, which I was told to leave a reply on here. No one offered even to look at room. Was booked for 2 nights, left after 1, and went to Best Western. Staff removed towels at 8-9 am when left to find another room, didnt leave any new ones. Had to ask for towel, and then canceled my 2nd night reservation. Lost points for staying at non choice hotels. Room was dirty, I cleaned myself to make our 1 night bearable. Not a great experience, very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nabee Y, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I apologize for your bad inconvenience caused due to the negligence of the staff. The maintenance engineer could not attend to his duties as he was on leave due to an unfortunate accident and the person who was supposed to fill - in his place wasn't informed on time.

I personally take the responsibility of such a huge blunder and assure you again that you will never
have to face such kind of problems in the future. Thank you

St. Thomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Friendly staff but everything else is average. We had outlets that didn't work in our room, very low flow shower, 3rd floor is a smoke pit even in a non-smoking room. The breakfast stayed open as advertised for our stay unlike previous posters and the breakfast attendant did a good job keeping food stocked with a fairly large crowd of hungry people every morning for our stay.

• Stayed August 2012
Nabee Y, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent comments; we always welcome feedback from our guests and were pleased that our hotel employees left a favorable impression on you. We strive to make every guest feel welcome and at home.

Also, we have repaired the water pressure issues since it was called to our attention.

Again, thank you so much for your input.

Nabee Yi

Hotel Management Team

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!