“Good stay for passing through--clean” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
Georgia
“Good stay for passing through--clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

I stayed here for two separate nights as I drive to & from up North for Thanksgiving. Room was clean. Bed was comfortable. Front desk folks were polite. Checking in & out was a breeze. As military, I was offered a king suite for $89 (i.e., same price that I would have gotten a reg room for). Breakfast was typical for hotel chains.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

The hotel is clean and seems to be relatively new, and well located. The breakfast is typical for these types of hotel chains, and is adequate. Our room was spacious and well equipped. We reserved the king suite so our teenage daughter would have a space to herself and a tv that she could watch after we went to sleep. The design of the suite does not work for what we had in mind...no door between the sleeping quarters and the living room area, in fact it had a open doorway and an open wall area over the desk. So, you would really need two rooms if you wanted real privacy. But, that was not any problem, we really thought the room was nice and even the pull out sofa bed was comfortable. The real problem was the lack of customer service provided by the staff. Let me give just one example: we left the room rather early in the morning and were out for most of the day, only to come back to an un-made room. When I approached the front desk, the gentleman working was not there, he was sitting in the dining area watching tv. When he saw us at the desk, he came to help, I politely informed him that housekeeping had yet to clean our room and we were going out again, and would he mind having them come to our room next. My daughter was not feeling well and wanted to rest in the room. He replied that he would let them know, but he had no idea when they would be able to get to our room. I must say, I am not used to that, usually if you request housekeeping it is honored as soon as possible. Well, approximately two hours later we returned and found the room semi-clean. The pull out bed was left completely unattended...not even made or linens folded. There was trash still around the room and the coffee pot not cleaned out. So, I guess in this hotel if you request housekeeping you get half of a job. We found the front desk staff not particularly friendly or helpful in general. We were there for two nights. While the hotel seems nice and the rooms are nice, I would not stay here again. I will choose one of the many hotels near by...and there are several new establishments near by. We chose this because we are loyal to the Marriott chains, and this by no means is comparable to the service we generally receive from any Marriott owned hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Highly recommend this hotel. Very comfortable and VERY clean! Nice rooms and fabulous staff!! Always greeted with a smile and hello. There was apparently a leak somewhere near my room that evening, the front desk called my room to make sure I was o.k. Thought that was extremely thoughtful as a female solo business traveler. Would stay here again in a heartbeat if ever in the area again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the third year in a row for the sold-out Virginia Tech Homecoming weekend. Though it's a few minutes from Blacksburg, the hotel itself is perfect for our needs. Extremely quiet, new in appearance, perfectly clean, with a wonderful bed that is more comfortable than what we have at home. The only thing the hotel lacks is some sort of restaurant or all-day access to coffee and snacks - other than during the continental breakfast hours, you have to either bring food in, or leave the hotel if you need to eat something. But, there are many restaurants within 5 minutes.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Central Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

A recently remodeled hotel that was a clean and comfortable place to stay. The staff was curteous and the suite offered plenty of room to spread out. The breakfast was not fancy but offered a good variety of somewhat healthy food.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

The hotel is in a good location just of the main highway, check in was smooth and efficient, room was large with two good sized beds and plenty of pillows. Room was clean and tidy and good quality items were provided in the bathrooms. Nice pool and spa area, again clean and tidy very good breakfast included in the resonable room rate. Rooms are definately big enough for a family of upto 5.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
HOUSTON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed in this hotel twice on our trip to DC area. It has a great location to the highway. On the way up, we had no problems with check in or check out. My only concern was that we were suppose to get a promotional 25 dollar voucher. The other marriott hotel we had stayed in gave it to us as we checked in. This particular one I had to ask about it when we checked out and was told they were out-they would mail us one if we like. We were very displeased with the variety of breakfast. Seemed to have little selection and much of it was empty. The breakfast lady fussed at me because I did not spray the waffle maker. The spray was not there by the maker when I made mine. Looks like a sign should be posted instructing people it is very important to spray it first---and have a can of spray by both waffle makers. The worst customer relations occurred on our return trip. When we checked in, we were not greeted with a smile or anything. A young man mumbled his directions of where our room was. Although it was 9:45 pm, he seemed to have been awoken from a deep sleep. I came back down to the desk about 15 minutes later, and he was acting the same way with the next customer. He acted as if it was a dreary thing to do his job--he did give her infomation about breakfast times which he did not tell us.
My son went down to inquire about more bath towels. He said he overheard the young man ask a girl to cover his shift. She complained it would be the second night in a row to cover for him. Later, he was up on the 3rd floor outside our room talking with friends for over 30-40 minutes in the hallway. Not sure if he was still on the clock at that point.
Breakfast the next morning was horrible. Everything was empty. The girl who was working the breakfast area was apparently working the front desk. Another lady and I approached the front desk to let them know there was no waffle mix. She left the desk and came and started working the area. Not only did I have to ask for the waffle mix to be filled, but had to request more fruit to placed out. They did not have any more spoons, so my daughter had to use mine when I was through with it. At this point we were tired of asking for things---someone obviously was not doing their job. It was amusing to watch people come down and walk through the breakfast area with looks on their faces of "this is it?" When I checked out, I once again had to inquire about the promotional voucher I was suppose to get for this nights stay. The older man working the desk went and got one for me. He too lacked the ability to make a customer feel warm and welcomed. I still find it odd they don't give out the vouchers unless you ask. I then proceeded to nicely tell him we were dissappointed in the breakfast or lack there of. It was my understanding that marriott has a pledge and asks that you let them know when you are unhappy. Apparently this man did not know I had the right to complain. He made excuses about it being a Saturday and did not offer any apologies. I also told him about the young man working the night before---he cut me off and handed me the head managers card and told me to call them. When I mentioned my dissappointment, he again cut me off and said call them. As I was talking to him, one of the employees' husband walked in. He stopped his attention towards me to greet and have a conversation with the ladies' husband. I thought, gee he did not bother to greet me so warmly. I am appalled by the indifferent attitudes of the staff at this hotel.
This is a nice hotel-new, clean, and well appointed. My fear is that with a staff that is allowed to slack on their jobs within no time it will go down hill. I would say if you can find a hotel comparible in price and quality, I would stay elsewhere. I would not return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg? Share your experiences!