“Good place to stay when visiting Blacksburg” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in Christiansburg
Central Virginia
“Good place to stay when visiting Blacksburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

A recently remodeled hotel that was a clean and comfortable place to stay. The staff was curteous and the suite offered plenty of room to spread out. The breakfast was not fancy but offered a good variety of somewhat healthy food.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

The hotel is in a good location just of the main highway, check in was smooth and efficient, room was large with two good sized beds and plenty of pillows. Room was clean and tidy and good quality items were provided in the bathrooms. Nice pool and spa area, again clean and tidy very good breakfast included in the resonable room rate. Rooms are definately big enough for a family of upto 5.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
HOUSTON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed in this hotel twice on our trip to DC area. It has a great location to the highway. On the way up, we had no problems with check in or check out. My only concern was that we were suppose to get a promotional 25 dollar voucher. The other marriott hotel we had stayed in gave it to us as we checked in. This particular one I had to ask about it when we checked out and was told they were out-they would mail us one if we like. We were very displeased with the variety of breakfast. Seemed to have little selection and much of it was empty. The breakfast lady fussed at me because I did not spray the waffle maker. The spray was not there by the maker when I made mine. Looks like a sign should be posted instructing people it is very important to spray it first---and have a can of spray by both waffle makers. The worst customer relations occurred on our return trip. When we checked in, we were not greeted with a smile or anything. A young man mumbled his directions of where our room was. Although it was 9:45 pm, he seemed to have been awoken from a deep sleep. I came back down to the desk about 15 minutes later, and he was acting the same way with the next customer. He acted as if it was a dreary thing to do his job--he did give her infomation about breakfast times which he did not tell us.
My son went down to inquire about more bath towels. He said he overheard the young man ask a girl to cover his shift. She complained it would be the second night in a row to cover for him. Later, he was up on the 3rd floor outside our room talking with friends for over 30-40 minutes in the hallway. Not sure if he was still on the clock at that point.
Breakfast the next morning was horrible. Everything was empty. The girl who was working the breakfast area was apparently working the front desk. Another lady and I approached the front desk to let them know there was no waffle mix. She left the desk and came and started working the area. Not only did I have to ask for the waffle mix to be filled, but had to request more fruit to placed out. They did not have any more spoons, so my daughter had to use mine when I was through with it. At this point we were tired of asking for things---someone obviously was not doing their job. It was amusing to watch people come down and walk through the breakfast area with looks on their faces of "this is it?" When I checked out, I once again had to inquire about the promotional voucher I was suppose to get for this nights stay. The older man working the desk went and got one for me. He too lacked the ability to make a customer feel warm and welcomed. I still find it odd they don't give out the vouchers unless you ask. I then proceeded to nicely tell him we were dissappointed in the breakfast or lack there of. It was my understanding that marriott has a pledge and asks that you let them know when you are unhappy. Apparently this man did not know I had the right to complain. He made excuses about it being a Saturday and did not offer any apologies. I also told him about the young man working the night before---he cut me off and handed me the head managers card and told me to call them. When I mentioned my dissappointment, he again cut me off and said call them. As I was talking to him, one of the employees' husband walked in. He stopped his attention towards me to greet and have a conversation with the ladies' husband. I thought, gee he did not bother to greet me so warmly. I am appalled by the indifferent attitudes of the staff at this hotel.
This is a nice hotel-new, clean, and well appointed. My fear is that with a staff that is allowed to slack on their jobs within no time it will go down hill. I would say if you can find a hotel comparible in price and quality, I would stay elsewhere. I would not return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Clean room, good beds, friendly service. We didn't have any difficulty getting a rollaway bed at the last minute.

The location is IDEAL - right off the highway and easy to get to Virginia Tech.

Breakfast was varied and tasty enough, though not excellent.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Cape Girardeau, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

This is our second time to spend time at the Fairfield in Christiansburg (we were there in June 2008 as well). Both times, stayed four nights. Our room was spacious and comfortable and quiet at night. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was standard but plenty. We did not bring our laptop, so having two computers available to guests in the lobby area was appreciated. Nice, small pool. There's a Cracker Barrel across the road from the hotel, and the usual assortment of chain restaurants at a nearby mall, including Kabuki, a great Japanese steakhouse...lots of fun. In town, check out Bookbinder's, an upscale restaurant with absolutely wonderful food and great ambience.

• Liked — Spacious, well decorated, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Sort of off the beaten path
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

Great place to stay as an overnight when traveling. No frills, but does have the trademark Marriott waffles for breakfast.

Simply clean, comfortable place to stay at reasonable price

• Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Stayed here when unable to get rooms in Blacksburg, Va, during a visit to Virgina Tech University. Hotel is located on a rather dreary strip. Fairfields are the basic economy Marriott property. however I have stay at ones that are quite pleasant. This one is not one of them. The room was not very well clean, a big cobweb hanging off ceiling right over the bed. Even worst, the room had mold in the air vents, I had to take allergy medication to stop the wheezing.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg? Share your experiences!