“Eady to find” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Madison, Alabama
“Eady to find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Nice hotel. Great staff. Rooms are clean. Easy on and off I-81. Great price. Restaurants are a good drive. Not much to do around the hotel, but there is alot to do in the general area to do. Blacksburg, VA. Is not far.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Hello and thank yo for responding to our survey! I am so glad you found our hotel convienient and enjoyed Blacksburg! We hope to have you as a guest again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed at this Fairfield Inn on the way to South Carolina. Friday night stop late, and we were greeted with a friendly front desk staff. Always nice when they make the process easy for people who have driven all day long. Rooms were clean, nicely appointed and large. Breakfast was fine. Nice and close to Blacksburg (Virginia Tech). Easy off and on to Route 81.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you so much for responding to our survey. It is always nice to hear that our front desk was helpful, and that guests enjoyed the rooms and breakfast. We would love to see you at our property again in the future!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We were warmly greeted by Erica upon arrival and upgraded to a very comfortable king suite. She checked later to make sure that all was well with our room, and it was. The room was clean, quiet, and perfect after a long day in the car. My husband and I felt safe in this location. There are several dining options nearby. Breakfast offered something for everyone with a good variety of hot and cold items. We will stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you so much for responding to our survey. I am so glad you enjoyed the upgrade to our king suite and that you felt safe. All of our staff are always happy to do whatever we can to make our guests stay more comfortable!
Erica Stables
Front Office Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Good stopover hotel while driving thru VA ... Built 10 years ago but looks like they had a refresh not too long ago. Enjoyed a spacious king suite with a pullout sofa so good space for family of 4. Comfortable bed (sofa mattress was a bit thin but our daughter didn't mind it). Very good breakfast the next morning complimentary - cold and hot items. Friendly staff.

Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for responding to our survey. I am so glad you found our king suite comfortable and spacious! I am also glad you and your family enjoyed breakfast. We look forward to your next visit!!
Erica Stables
Front Office Manager
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I don’t write a lot of reviews for TripAdvisor.com, because being a long time “bang around airports” traveler, I know hotel quality – even with chains – varies widely from city to city. It is really the expectation of the traveler that makes or breaks an experience at a local hotel or eatery.

There was a time when Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott could be depended on for a quality experience, a clean hotel and room, much like their competitor Hampton Inn, which I have found to be relatively consistent from city to city.

I am writing this review not to criticize this hotel, but to give a travel – like me – a pre-stay glimpse of the quality of accommodations (as I see it).

Recently, on a trip through Virginia, a late night stop brought us to the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Christianburg, Virginia.

We only stayed at the hotel for a few hours, but here are a few things I noticed:

- The hotel looked great from the highway, as most of these properties often do.
- The lobby was a bit worn, but acceptable in appearance.
- When I entered my room, there was a distinct odor coming from somewhere. It was unidentifiable, but pungent at times.
- The air conditioning was running, but definitely wasn’t all that cool. I turned it up, but it still got hot and musty smelling during the night – which woke me up.
- The free breakfast was good, with the exception of some soured fruit.
- The tub filled up with water during my shower, even with the drain fully open.
- All of the staff was cheerful and helpful, which is always appreciated. The lady attending the breakfast area even asked those still present if anyone needed anything before closing it down.
- The elevator was dirty.
- There were ample USA Today and Wall Street Journal newspapers to read, which is always a plus.
- Wifi (password protected) worked well and was fast.
- The breakfast area was well stocked and clean with friendly staff.

This is probably one of those Fairfields that was built in the past 10 or so years that hasn’t received much of an update of any kind since. So it's overall condition is probably more a reflection of corporate policy of delayed updates in out-of-the places.

As a meeting planner and “frequent traveler” summary of this property, I'd say, “It was OK, but Marriott, you can do better. Refresh your properties more frequently and keep them clean … particularly the heating/cooling systems and filters.” If I had paid some cut-rate price for my room I would not write this review, but with the price I paid I definitely expected more.

Note to hotel manager: Please don’t post to this review telling me you wished I would have a better experience, etc., and how my review is not indicative of other travelers staying at your hotel. Like I said, your hotel isn’t horrible, but as a professional, I know you guys can do better. Take this review for what it is.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate all feedback and concerns!
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This isn't a great hotel. It is a fair hotel in a great location with great people. Located right off 81 in a convenient location for travel north/south or into TN and points SW. Don't expect views or attractions, but a Cracker Barrel across the street and a good BBQ place down the road make food easy. The entrance isn't the easiest to find and turning in the little street just before the gas station/mini mart is the best way in. The hotel itself serves its purpose but the overall fit and finish is not up to Marriott standards. I don't think there is a picture or anything wall mounted that is hung level/straight. All that said, I like this location as a travel stop and will stay here. The staff has always been outstanding.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FairfieldInnS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for completing our survey. I am glad that you found our hotel in a suitable location off the interstate, and enjoyed the local restaurants. We hope when you are in the area that you visit with us again!
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Have used the FI&S brand successfully before, so when our family had a last minute (two weeks out) trip to Radford, VA for a large sports meet and found all the rest of the hotels in the close-in regional area booked (as reported through consulted travel websites), I reached out directly to the hotel via phone to check availability. The night desk clerk was very responsive, very courteous, but initially could not find us a room with queens. I hung up disappointed, but was called backed in less than 10 minutes. He had used my Marriott number to get my phone number and was calling to inform me that though he did not have the original two-queen-bed room, he had just had a King suite reservation cancellation; and explained it did have a pull out couch-bed that might work for our two (smaller) kids. I took the reservation at his suggestion.

Fast forward - We were not disappointed; when we arrived late, the night desk clerk (who was not the same one who made the reservation) was awesome, got us through the check-in process and to the room in less than 5 minutes; with a credit for a drink to boot. The room was a King Suite, was nice and roomy with an unusual contemporary configuration that did not have a door between the room and living room space - nicely equipped; hair dryer, open mini-fridge, microwave, etc. Slept and felt like a much more expensive room. Hallways and commoneating lounge area showed a lot of use, but overall a great service and room experience for a great price for the area.

Coming from the south, get off I-81 at the first Christiansburg exit. Turn left off the ramp and look for the Shell Station, since the sign to the hotel entrance is a bit hard to spot.

Room Tip: Book a Suite if available - King rooms come with a truly "full size" pull out couch-bed th...