“Another stop at this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in Christiansburg
Stafford Springs
“Another stop at this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Pros: Good stay - rooms are clean, breakfast is good.
Cons: Limited TV, broken ice maker on 1st floor and elevator down for maint. at 9AM

My family and I have stayed here several times. It is a good hotel, but I am wondering if things are slowing down a bit IE:TV was really limited
None the less, we will stay again as this is a nice, clean, well placed hotel right off of 81

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I were passing through Va. on our way down to Texas in May and decided to stay at this Fairfield Inn for the night. It was a good stay. The usual amenities. Nothing outstanding and nothing bad to say about it. Staff was good at check-in and check-out. Breakfast in the AM was the usual - good.

Manchester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I are Mariott Guests only, and the Fairfield Inn in Christiansburg lives up to the high standards set by the Mariott Hotels everywhere. If anything is bad here, it is the breakfast bar; but that is quite typical of breakfast bars everywhere. I'm mostly a cereal guy anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

The rooms are clean and larger than most similar hotels and are always well-stocked with supplies. We have stayed in this particular Fairfield Inn and our latest stay was no exception. Everything was great..and a shout out to Njeri---she recommended a local Barbecue place that was just spectacular. They even had a couple of guys on guitar doing bluegrass and folk music.

We used the pool and hot tub, and while the hot tub was a little warm, it was certainly in excellent shape and was clean; as was the pool. All in all, this is a great place to stay and we will be using the hotel on every trip to North Carolina we make.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed this weekend for Memorial Day. We researched all of the hotels in the area and found this hotel to be the most promising.
The good:
* Interior design - I find their bold fabric choices fun and inviting. Better than your run-of-the-mill hotel decor
* Coffee - I still don't know what brand they use but it was excellent. Saved me from having to go to Starbucks every morning. It's available 24 hrs in the lobby complete with flavored creamers.
The bad:
* Beds - Low to the ground and poor quality mattresses comparable to Days Inn or Super 8.
* Room set-up - We requested a queen double room and 2 king suites. The king suites are much nicer than the double rooms but awkward in the sense that it feels like a tight squeeze for 4 guests. The king suite includes one king bed and one pull out couch. You can't expect comfort out of a pull out couch. The double room left a lot to be desired. The double room is a rather large space that looks ... empty. There is only one nightstand which sits in between the two beds. We had to plug our phones into the wall units (leaving them to charge on the floor) and on the desk lamp which were completely out of reach for morning alarms. There is a distinct lack of furniture for such a large space. When we mentioned this to the manager, he stated "Well, it's up to Marriott standards."
* Breakfast - They advertise free hot breakfast including eggs, waffles, etc. If you want something that tastes decent, stick to the typical continental choices. The "hot" elements were lousy. They also advertise 7 - 10am weekend and holiday hours. This morning, (Memorial Day), we arrived in the lobby at 9:30am to find the breakfast bar completely put away. When we inquired about this, the manager thought we were lying and had to consult his advertisement.
* Cost - At $130 and $120 per night, the quality was very disappointing. I expect much more from the Marriott brand. I was advised that hotels in college towns tend to be on the average side because they expect students, football fans, etc. to trash them. That's no excuse. I also don't buy the excuse that a Fairfield is supposed to be average quality. We have stayed in very nice Fairfield's in other locations.
The ugly:
* The staff - When we arrived, we were placed in rooms where the pool was right outside of our window. There were at least 10 kids playing and screaming that we could still hear with the television on. When I went to the front desk to request rooms on the other side of the hallway, the girl averted eye contact with me and made continuous glances toward her colleague as if to imply that my request was completely inconvenient and unnecessary. She tried to tell me that she would upgrade me to a suite but that she didn't have any available. I reminded her that, though I was staying in the double room, we also reserved 2 suites and she suddenly "found" all of the available rooms we needed. Later that day, my newborn had an accident on the bed sheets so we called to ask for another set. The girl said, "Can you come get them? There's only 2 of us and there's like 5 people in line." My husband immediately went to retrieve the sheets only to find both girls chatting with each other behind the desk. There was no one in line.

The overall experience was dismal. Unless you have low expectations for a high price point, I would not recommend this hotel.

Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Large clean room about 10 minutes from VT. I was on the ground floor but it wasn't noisy (even on weekend). Newer equipment in fitness room. Typically nice breakfast with make-your-own waffles, cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, bagels. Great coffee! Only downside was no fridge in the room. Also tried to get a rollaway cot but they only had one left and it had gotten wet. Recommend you reserve one in advance if you need it.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of a ground floor room. They are convenient to the fitness room, pool, hot tub...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Morton, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed last night, and was a pretty average evening. I don't exactly agree with the $114 a night it costs although the military discount did help somewhat. I was a little insulted when checking in my Army Service Uniform (dress) and had to ask if there was a discount. After this the clerk asked me for proof through ID. Really - who guys out and buys an Army Dress Uniform gets a high and tight just to stay at a hotel in Christiansburg, VA? A little bit rediculous. Aside from this not much to note. The gym was OK, but would suggest you bring a rag to wipe down the equipment as there was no bleach water bottle or anything to wipe down the equipment when your done for sanitizing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Philly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Found the Fairfield Inn to be a good hotel for the money. Clean, generally comfortable, and staffed by friendly folks. Complimentary breakfast was a nice bonus.

Keep in mind that this is a Fairfield Inn, which Marriott describes as its “most affordable welcome on the road”. So don’t expect the amenities of a JW Marriott. You get what you pay for here; which is a decent room at a competitive price for the area.

This appears to be a fairly new hotel so I’m not sure what the prior comments about it being old and musty were all about. I found the facilities to be new/updated, clean, and appealing.

The breakfast area is somewhat small in relation to the demand. That is, there could be more tables and more room at the counters to accommodate times of peak demand. But the staff hustled to ensure that all food stations were stocked – smiling as they did it.

Hotel is just off of 81 so the area has a bit of a truck stop feel to it but the hotel is far enough from the highway that road noise is not an issue. Things did get a little loud on the floor Friday night as weekend revelers started to roll in; not sure if this is a recurring theme or just the wedding party that happened to be in town that weekend.

All things consider, this is a good hotel for the money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg? Share your experiences!