“Some good points, but leaves something to be desired” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
Greensboro
“Some good points, but leaves something to be desired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I went to this hotel with family. We rented three of their mini-suites.

The mini-suite consists of a TV room with a fold-out couch, a bedroom, and a bathroom. There is no wall/door between the TV room and the Bed room, so don't count on having any privacy if you have more than one person staying there. The rooms were bigger than most hotel rooms, the bed was comfy, the televisions were modern, and the room had both a min-fridge and a microwave.

The people that work there are friendly, but not particularly available. AFter about 10:00 at night, the front desk attendant hid behind a little wall screwing around on the internet, both nights of our stay.

There is an outdoor pool, which was closed in mid-april, as well as a hot tub.

The hotel furnishes a free continental breakfast with belgian waffles, yogurt, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, cereal, microwaveable biscuits, and coffee. I thought they did a pretty good job with the breakfast.

Okay, now onto my complaints.

1. My brother in law's door didn't work properly. The card keys didn't work in the door, which meant that either he or his girlfriend always had to be in the room, or risk having it broken into. The hotel wasn't able to fix this issue during our two days there, or furnish him with another room.

2. Staying over for two nights, we had to have our key cards reactivated 3 times. That's a little excessive, and irritating to boot.

3. They have really weak toilets. I stopped up the toilet with what I would say was a normal sized "movement," and had to go to the front desk to ask for help, which was embarassing enough. But the person at the front desk said that they had nobody to help with this, and that I would have to plunge it myself, and offered to give me a plunger to take up to my room.

I balked, and just let the toilet stay clogged up.

Look, I understand it's weird to expect someone to plunge a toilet that I stopped up, but at the same time, it would be embarassing to walk around the hotel with the plunger in hand, dripping filthy water all over the place where people walk barefoot to the pool.

Later on in the night, I saw a maintenance person walking around with a plunger, so I don't understand why they couldn't come plunge my toilet.

The place has it's good points, but it's a bit pricey to not have a maintenance person there to handle everyday issues.

I wouldn't choose that hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were on a long road trip and stopped in Christiansburg for a night of rest. We are always leery of getting a hotel without reservations or research while on the road, but were put at ease during check in. The man at check in was super friendly and accommodating to our late arrival. The room itself was very clean, and the bed was ok. It was a decent place to stay for one night - convenient location off of the highway.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
northern virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights for Virginia Tech family weekend. It seems that most of the hotels have a mandatory 2 night stay for these special weekends. I have stayed in 4 different hotels in the area. This is definitely the farthest one from the campus that I have stayed in. It is not too big of a deal though. I have stayed in the Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton and this one. I would say that the Hampton so far is my favorite, followed by the Fairfield, and a tie with the Hilton Garden Inn and Holiday Inn. The big advantage the latter 2 have going for them is location but you will definitely be paying for it on these special weekends. I found the hotel to be clean, beds were comfortable but seemed low to the ground. The only thing I didn't care for in the room is that the bathroom had an industrial cleaner smell to it. The hotel included a continental breakfast. This included make your own waffles, microwave your own jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches, cereals, yogurts,muffins,bagels, juice, coffee. They kept things well stocked. I would certainly recommend a stay at this hotel. We were comfortable for our short stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Ok so it was a last minute travel go to see the HOKIES....but goodness for that price I was expecting a red carpet arrival with bottles of the most expensive champagne and chocolates...the The Westin Peachtree Plaza in ATL is even cheaper(by 99 cents) and has superior ratings than this place!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

Decided to stay at this hotel becauce I have stayed at another Fairfield before. Rooms were clean. Price is good. But had big problem with toilet. It would not flush and would constantly get stopped up. The hotel only had on site one plunger for the entire hotel. We were told we wold have to use the bathroom in the lobby because there was no one to fix it. Finally they did bring us a plunger, and I continuously had to use it for two days nights. What a headache. Might have just been unlucky and gotten a bad room, but there was noone to help us.

• Stayed September 2011
Hyattsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

The hotel is new or recently remodeled and was very clean and well maintained. The room was large however, the bed sat pretty low to the floor. Also, I was surprised that there was no refrigerator and microwave in the standard rooms. They are available in the suites for a few bucks more but those are standard in even the cheapest hotels nowadays. I did try the Due South BBQ restaurant nearby that another reviewer recommended and the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Request a suite if you would like a refrigerator and microwave in the room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Christiansburg, VA overnight passing through from Florida to Pennsylvania. Walking through the door you can smell the old dusty smell. The desk clerk was not the happiest girl to be there; asked me if I still wanted to stay on the highest floor (floor 3) and just handed me my room keys, which did not work! Beds were very low to the floor, but I agree, they were very comfortable. With only 10 cars in the parking lot I knew this was NOT the hotel of the majority. Elevator started with a bump and a grind and made its way to 3rd floor. We slept very soundly through the night despite the fact there was a tornado warning in the area. Breakfast looked pretty decent and my children were eager to eat a glazed doughnut but found they were old and stale. My bagel must have been old as well because it was dried up. Person said they would bring us some fresh fruit but never did. I was disappointed in paying Marriott prices for a Days Inn kind of hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg? Share your experiences!