“Great bang for your buck” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg

Save Saved
You added Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg to your Saves list
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 Ponderosa Drive, Christiansburg, VA 24073   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #5 of 13 hotels in Christiansburg
Charlotte, NC
“Great bang for your buck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

First, let me say I'm picky about where I stay. I like places that are clean, quiet, comfortable, and have good customer service. I was unsure about staying here because I had never stayed at a Microtel. However, I just needed a place to sleep for the night en route to Washington, DC, so I read the reviews and decided to give this property a try.

Needless to say, I made the right choice. Although not fancy or loaded with amenities, the hotel was clean, the bed was very comfortable and it was indeed quiet. The hotel is located in a nice business park, so there is little noise. It also seemed safe. The three employees I encountered were very nice, and all spoke English! The rooms are small, but well-designed and functional. Wi-Fi worked well and was free. Flat-screen TV was mounted above closet and the bathroom was a little nicer than expected. Continental breakfast was above average.

Unless you require a large room, this property provides a great bang for your buck.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor, which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Southbury, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel 3 to 4 times a year for the past 3 years while my daughter has been attending Virginia Tech.

This is a typical Microtel facility; meaning it is no frills, clean, well located and offered at a value price. We almost always get the room with two queens since it is only 7$ more than the single queen and provides slightly more space. Yes, the rooms are small, there are no desk lamps, no blow-dryers in room etc. This is a budget hotel but being a Microtel it has a stark modern feel and is fairly new. They also offer a decent complimentary continental breakfast. The staff is almost always really pleasant and helpful, with the lone exception being the last time we were there (I hope that is not a fore-bearer of things to come).

The advantages of this Microtel are that it is very conveniently located: just 10 minutes drive from Virginia Tech and only a few minutes from all the shopping and restaurants that you could ever want. We have stayed at other hotels that are slightly closer to VT (8 minutes by car), but almost twice the price. We have also stayed at hotels that are walking distance to VT. This is nice, but are even more than twice the price. I think better to save your money to go to the "Our Daily Bread Bakery" for breakfast and Cabo for fish tacos (both in Blacksburg).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had a room with 1 queen bed, and although the room was small, there was adequate places to put our stuff. The mattress was very comfortable, but I found the pillows to be too soft. It was very clean. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

To dovetail on 1YoungMommy's review, I too found the hotel small, not very clean and in need of a renovation. This was a get what you pay for hotel, little money little anything. I arrived at 11 pm after a 15 hour drive, just wanting to sleep but it was an awful room, bed, bathroom etc.
The night clerk was rather rude and indifferent when I checked in. Normally can find at least one plus on a hotel but not here. To add to it, the hotel is in the back of another center which was very hard to find using signage and gps.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We got a deal via Travelocity and based on the price I paid, I believe it was a good value. The continental breakfast started at 6 am which was perfect for our early start and it offered bread, donuts, bagels, muffins, yogurt, juice drinks, coffee, oatmeal packets, waffles (already made), but it does lack fruit. We had no problem finding a place to sit at that early hour. I did ask for a blowdryer (the rooms are not equipped with one) and there was none; so bring your own if you think you will need one. Also, bring your own shampoo, conditioner and lotion (I think hotel offers shampoo). This is a bare bones experience, but we didn't stay in room much to need more. The fitness room is a joke - I don't think any of the equipment was working properly or fully. This hotel is close to many restaurants and Walmart and drugstores. If I paid more for this room, I probably would be disappointed but since it was a bargain - can't complain.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night while taking a tour of VA Tech. Very good value for the price. The room was small, but that was really all we needed for one night. We loved the windowseat! The room was fairly clean (we found one or two black hairs on the sheets, but that could easily be overlooked), and though there was not a hairdryer in the room, the clerk at the front desk offered us one when we checked in. Breakfast was simple and fast, and checkout was easy. Probably the only complaint I would have is the wifi. This hotel advertised free wifi in every room, but the signal was so poor in our room (which was located on the third floor), that the internet was practically unusable. After losing the signal in our room repeatedly, we had to go down to the lobby to use the wifi. That was a dissapointment for us. Most likely the internet would have had a better signal if we were on the first or second floors, as the signal was very strong in the lobby. We did enjoy the nearby shopping and wide selecion of restaurants nearby. The Panera Bread near the mall was very good, and not crowded at all! Overall, this was a clean, affordable hotel that had most of what we needed. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Might not want to stay in a room on the third floor, we believe that is what caused problems with wi...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We decided to check out the Microtel on a recent trip. With a name like "micro" I was thinking small, so I went in expecting that. What I did not expect was the lack of decor (mirrored wall behind the bed), the strange TV placement (on top of a tall built in) and the lack of furniture. The bed was very poor quality, the AC did not work propperly and our unit was less than clean. The saying "you get what you pay for" is definately true in this case. When we checked in to a Days Inn the next night the difference was like night and day. That's right I said Days Inn. Based on the experience we had we won't be staying at this chain again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg? Share your experiences!