“Great rooms, staff and restaurant need attention” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
Richmond, Virginia
“Great rooms, staff and restaurant need attention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I was in the Christiansburg area on business this past week. The Holiday Inn was very clean, rooms were modern and very comfortable beds. Great flat screen TV. My only complaint was with the staff with regards to a continental breakfast order. The breakfast provided by the hotel in the restaurant is substandard with only some cold cereal, milk, yogurt and whole apples. So my 2nd day I ordered Juice/Coffee/Toast/Fruit for the room via door hanger provided by the hotel. I asked that the order be delivered at 6:45am. At 6am the phone rang and it was the hotel wanting to know if I wanted the breakfast charged to my room or pay cash. I could not believe that they called and woke me up for just a stupid question. So wide awake I could not get back to sleep. I read until 6:45 and no breakfast. So I waited until 6:55 and called the front desk. I was total irritated now, so I explained by displeasure with the 6am phone call...that it woke me up the man at the front desk said, "that was me". I told him it wrong to call someone at 6am...then I told him that the breakfast had not been delivered, what is the problem...all I ordered wasuice/Coffee/Toast/Fruit. He said he would check and hung up. He did call back and said they were on their way. At about 7am they arrived and the woman said she had cut the cantaloupe just for me several times, I asked that she just put the tray down, once she did so, she opened her arms and said, "Honey, give me a hug", I found this to be stupid and odd...I said, "no, please, that is enough".

The simple Juice/Coffee/Toast/Fruit was unreal, no butter, cold toast, only 2 coffee creams for a whole pot of coffee and the fruit tasted odd.

This hotel needs to know how to treat business travelers and have common sense, who calls anyone at 6am! People on a schedule, working out of town shouldn't have to deal with any of the above.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was my first time visiting Blacksburg, and I found a great rate at this hotel. Staying here and visiting Virginia Tech was easy; the drive is short and simple. The hotel is near several restaurants, a mall, and a Target, and has easy access to main roads.

My room was quite clean and comfortable. I stayed for 2 nights, and on the 2nd night, there was a constant humming noise from outside. (My room overlooked the front of the hotel.) With the earplugs I always wear when traveling, I was able to sleep really well.

There is a complementary "continental" breakfast that includes cereal, muffins/bread, apples, yogurt, and cut melon. It's not the kind of food I eat when I'm at home, but it sufficed for 2 mornings.

The front desk staff were friendly when approached.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here while visiting Virginia Tech. The hotel is very clean and furnished in a modern style. The location is very close to shopping and movies. Check-in information included contact information for the local Domino's so we placed an order and received our pizza promptly. My only minor quibble is that hotels of this range should provide complimentary breakfast instead of a la carte dining. I've stayed at Holiday Inn Express restaurants for less that offered free breakfast. Otherwise, no major complaints.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lehigh Valley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

New property, convenient location, friendly staff, great amenities and competitive rates...this is exactly what I look for in a hotel in this class and just what this hotel delivered during a 3-night stay. I'd have no reason to look for different accommodations next time I'm in the area. Highly recommended!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was expecting to find a refurbished old style Holiday Inn. What we found is a new updated version with very nice amenities including a small bar/lounge and restaurant, indoor pool and an alcove dedicated to the needs of a business traveller. The beautifully decorated spacious rooms include a concealed microwave, safe and refrigerator. The beds were very comfortable and the room temp could be adjusted as low as we like, something that is often lacking in many chain hotels today.
My only disappointment was the fitness center only had cardio equipment. I suggested to the manager that a few rubber mats and a rack of free weights would be a welcome addition to the center. We would definitely stay there again if our travels take us back to this area.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Christiansburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Very comfortable, room was well equiped and supplied. Staff very friendly & helpful. It is conveniently located near restaurants & shopping. Close to both VT & RU. The room was very clean. We are locals & this was an anniversary get-away for us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The pleasantness of the hotel staff was great. It has been a long time since I have had attentive service like that. I was traveling with a team and the staff was great and polite. The dinners the hotel provided were nutritious and healthy and more than enough for a group of 17.

Room Tip: The rooms above the breakfast area/bar are much quieter than the rooms above the media room.