“Another Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
Virginia
“Another Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed here on New Year's Eve even though I live just about 10 miles away. I had a wonderful time! I arrived early in the afternoon and my room was ready, so I checked in and began my celebration of the arrival of 2014. I took advantage of their heated salt water pool, and had a drink in the lounge before heading out for dinner at Kabuki, my favorite Japanese Steakhouse, then came back to enjoy what the hotel had planned. I skipped the buffet dinner since I had already eaten, but enjoyed everything else.

First, I watched a first class stand-up comedy show while sipping house drinks and hors devours, then they opened up the ballroom for dancing with a live DJ and champagne toasts as we all ushered in the new year. Then, I retired to a wonderful king suite for the night followed by a wonderful breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

Who would have thought that a Holiday Inn could provide such a wonderful celebration at such an affordable cost.

I love this place.

Room Tip: This is an all suite hotel. All rooms are nice. The pool and fitness center are good. Great lounge...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
libby m, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
We are so glad you had a great experience. NYE is one of our biggest events with local comedians and DJ/Dancing - everyone is sure to have a great time. Hopefully, you can make this a yearly tradition!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel 12 times over the last three months for business. I book in advance and get the best rate as given to me by their hospitality person. They gave me a handicap room upon check in with no notice. The bathroom smelled like someone died and had bugs in it. I complained to front desk they couldn't have cared less. My bill was wrong and told the girl at checkout she said there was nothing she could do about it with an additude. She said it had to be advanced purchased. I said it was last week apon checkout. She said she couldn't do anything for me. What a mess of an experience.

• Stayed November 2013
Poquoson, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I travel to Blacksburg area for all VT home football games. This is our 5th year of doing so. My review of the Holiday Inn is based on a comparison of where we normally stay for football weekends. For the same price, we can stay in Blacksburg (less than 5 minutes from campus vs 20 minutes from Christiansburg), get a suite with a sitting area and full kitchen, a free breakfast and cookies and appetizers upon arrival. The customer service at this Holiday Inn was non-existent. We were rushed through check-in and very little was explained to us. The room was fine, but we were on the 2nd floor and there happened to be a sorority party in full swing on the first floor so you can imagine how "quiet" our room wasn't. When we went down for breakfast in the morning, it was $8.95 for a very disappointing breakfast bar. If you wanted juice it was $3.00 more. Comparable breakfasts are free at every place I've stayed recently. So, the room was clean, fairly comfortable and the hotel was attractive. But for the value for the price and customer service, we will return to our normal hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Gernsey,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your positive feedback about the cleanliness and comfort of our rooms and attractive hotel facility. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is very regrettable to hear based on your experience that we failed to deliver an outstanding customer service and breakfast choices. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your valuable comments enable us to target problem areas. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great hotel near Va. Tech. Stayed hear on a recent visit to Va. Tech. Courteous staff, clean modern rooms near shopping and many chain restaurants. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. It was only a 10 min. or less drive to the campus. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Okay we decided to try another chain for the weekend -- not our usual. This hotel was comfortable, clean, new and very attractive. Quirks: thin walls, we heard doors shutting, horns blowing and bangs and bumps in the walls and ceiling -- too much for new construction! The room service staff guy was very, very polite but it took 15 minutes longer to get our dinner than they estimated, and the food was really disappointing (best to eat elsewhere.) There was a free continental breakfast on Saturday we didn't even know about - no one told us but we stumbled upon it looking for coffee creamer, because the coffee machine in the lobby was out two of the three times we checked. The room a/c was REALLY cold at 74 and warm at 75. Pool seemed funky -- someone on this website said it is a salt water pool, but my kids just said it really smelled like chemicals. (They also made friends with the stink bugs in the pool room.) All in all an okay stay, but too many quirks especially considering the top dollar rate ($650 including taxes, one dinner and a room for two nights!) we paid for homecoming weekend. Would have been fine if we had paid a lot less.

Room Tip: Don't stay here on homecoming weekend.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I think this hotel is ran by ammatures! The front desk is routinely vacant ... If someone is there, they don't greet you. The restaurant is pathetic! They push the restaurant on you so we ate breakfast there ... Big mistake! Our order was wrong so we requested it fixed ... Just wanted eggs over medium ... We got overcooked eggs. Took more than 15 minutes to get new eggs and by then the rest of the breakfast was cold. Did I mention we were the only people in the restaurant? So, it's not like they were too busy! Went to the bar to get 2 sodas ... They came out as brown colored water! The server served them to us anyway & when we mentioned it, he tasted it himself to ensure we were telling the truth! The server asked us if we wanted a different kind of soda, we said "no" & he walked away. We had just paid over $5 for colored water! My husband called him back & eventually got 2 bottled sodas! We came back to our room on the 3rd night to find that our soiled towels were gone but our room had not been cleaned nor did we have any clean towels!! You'd think for $229 a night, we could get room service & clean towels! My husband called down for towels & said we need towels for 3 people! They brought 3 bath towels & 1 wash cloth!! Really??? I prefer using my own wash cloth!! This hotel appears new & clean but the staff is untrained!! I'll stay at our normal hotel from now on ... Check out the Hilton Garden Inn in Blacksburg ... You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed October 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear CGlovemylife,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Berkeley Springs, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were also touring VA Tech and found all the hotels in Blacksburg full. This hotel is very trendy, decorated retro. Beautiful, new, clean. Rooms nice, beds comfy , pillows spectacular. Very friendly and welcoming staff!

We tried to go out to Red Lobster, or the Texas Steak House and found they had an hour wait, so we decided to have dinner in the Restaurant located on the first floor of the Hotel. What a surprise!! The waiter Keith was first class, excellent service, the food was cooked by Chef Barrett.
Hubby and daughter had Rib Eye Steaks, and I had Rib Eye with shrimp. Mushrooms and onions on top. YUM!! Spectacular food and very reasonable. There were only a couple people in the restaurant at the time!! What a hidden treasure! We'll sure be back again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg? Share your experiences!