“great new hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 hotels in Christiansburg
Woodbury, New York
“great new hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great hotel near Va. Tech. Stayed hear on a recent visit to Va. Tech. Courteous staff, clean modern rooms near shopping and many chain restaurants. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. It was only a 10 min. or less drive to the campus. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Okay we decided to try another chain for the weekend -- not our usual. This hotel was comfortable, clean, new and very attractive. Quirks: thin walls, we heard doors shutting, horns blowing and bangs and bumps in the walls and ceiling -- too much for new construction! The room service staff guy was very, very polite but it took 15 minutes longer to get our dinner than they estimated, and the food was really disappointing (best to eat elsewhere.) There was a free continental breakfast on Saturday we didn't even know about - no one told us but we stumbled upon it looking for coffee creamer, because the coffee machine in the lobby was out two of the three times we checked. The room a/c was REALLY cold at 74 and warm at 75. Pool seemed funky -- someone on this website said it is a salt water pool, but my kids just said it really smelled like chemicals. (They also made friends with the stink bugs in the pool room.) All in all an okay stay, but too many quirks especially considering the top dollar rate ($650 including taxes, one dinner and a room for two nights!) we paid for homecoming weekend. Would have been fine if we had paid a lot less.

Room Tip: Don't stay here on homecoming weekend.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I think this hotel is ran by ammatures! The front desk is routinely vacant ... If someone is there, they don't greet you. The restaurant is pathetic! They push the restaurant on you so we ate breakfast there ... Big mistake! Our order was wrong so we requested it fixed ... Just wanted eggs over medium ... We got overcooked eggs. Took more than 15 minutes to get new eggs and by then the rest of the breakfast was cold. Did I mention we were the only people in the restaurant? So, it's not like they were too busy! Went to the bar to get 2 sodas ... They came out as brown colored water! The server served them to us anyway & when we mentioned it, he tasted it himself to ensure we were telling the truth! The server asked us if we wanted a different kind of soda, we said "no" & he walked away. We had just paid over $5 for colored water! My husband called him back & eventually got 2 bottled sodas! We came back to our room on the 3rd night to find that our soiled towels were gone but our room had not been cleaned nor did we have any clean towels!! You'd think for $229 a night, we could get room service & clean towels! My husband called down for towels & said we need towels for 3 people! They brought 3 bath towels & 1 wash cloth!! Really??? I prefer using my own wash cloth!! This hotel appears new & clean but the staff is untrained!! I'll stay at our normal hotel from now on ... Check out the Hilton Garden Inn in Blacksburg ... You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed October 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear CGlovemylife,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Berkeley Springs, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were also touring VA Tech and found all the hotels in Blacksburg full. This hotel is very trendy, decorated retro. Beautiful, new, clean. Rooms nice, beds comfy , pillows spectacular. Very friendly and welcoming staff!

We tried to go out to Red Lobster, or the Texas Steak House and found they had an hour wait, so we decided to have dinner in the Restaurant located on the first floor of the Hotel. What a surprise!! The waiter Keith was first class, excellent service, the food was cooked by Chef Barrett.
Hubby and daughter had Rib Eye Steaks, and I had Rib Eye with shrimp. Mushrooms and onions on top. YUM!! Spectacular food and very reasonable. There were only a couple people in the restaurant at the time!! What a hidden treasure! We'll sure be back again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was visiting VA Tech on business and all of the Blacksburg hotels were booked. I expanded my search and found this location. To begin with its less than 15 minutes from campus, so it is very convenient. There are restaurants all around the hotel, with a steak house just across the parking lot/street. The lobby was modern and fresh looking, the employees were very helpful and nice, and the room was clean and fresh. After a long day, I didnt feel like going out, but I decided to try the hotel restaurant, which I usually pass on. I wasnt sorry, the waiter/bartender was great, he went out of his way to be helpful, and the food was pretty good also. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. After I checked out, I needed to leave a couple of boxes for a coworker to pick up somewhere. I went back to the hotel on my way out of town, and they were happy to hold the items for me. I was very happy with the service!!!

• Stayed September 2013
northern virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Move in for ds at Vtech and got holiday inn from Priceline express. Great price and thought it was one close to campus. Had stayed there before and wasn't best experience. but for good price and 1 night, it was ok. Was my great surprise that holiday inn was in christianburg, located close to main strip of big stores and hotels, and its brand new! Right across from red robin and Texas steakhouse, hotel was clean, good Virginia friendliness and really tastefully done.

Seems that large hotel chains are creating new, minimalist style brands. holiday inn got it right. Color and design give rich, cozy feel. Minimalist usually means smaller. Not here Room and bedding is generously large and comfortable. Could have fit 2+. Rollaway beds in our room amazing! Room near elevator and quiet as mouse.

Only bad part was free breakfast was cold one - fruits, cereals, pastries, bagel/toast, instant oatmeal, juices, coffee, etc. Hot dishes w eggs, sausage, etc was extra fee. Ok and nice dining area

Definitely recommend and would stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
toms river new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here July 29th for one night . The hotel is very clean and the beds are comfortable. They have a salt water pool which was a first for us and a very nice change from the strong smell of chlorine. They offer a free continental breakfast( toast,english muffins, fruit, cereal,bagels,coffee,tea,milk,juice) which was more than adequate for us. The employees were also very pleasant to speak with. My biggest thing to look for in a hotel is cleanliness and this hotel met my expectations. Its located in an area with many stores and restaurants . We would definitely stay her again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg? Share your experiences!