“Nice room, terrible restaurant service” 2 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cordova, Maryland
“Nice room, terrible restaurant service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My son and I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting Va Tech. We stayed here because it is only 10 minutes to Tech and the room prices were much lower than the downtown hotels. The hotel is across the street from the mall and there are a lot of chain restaurants nearby. The check in was very pleasant and the room was nice. This is a fairly new hotel--the rooms were very clean and the furnishings in good condition.

The next morning, we decided to eat breakfast at the hotel's restaurant since we had been given a $20 coupon at check-in. (There is a free "continental breakfast" which consisted of 3 cereals-2 sweetened, toast, bagels, apples, oranges and canned grapefruit.) Our first clue that we should have gone somewhere else was that there was NO ONE in the restaurant. However, we stay and each of us ordered omelets: his a western, mine a vegetable without cheese. I asked for coffee. Before placing our order, the waitress decided to have an extended conversation with a friend of hers who had just stopped by, Finally, she placed our order. Then she came to the table to me they were out of coffee! Next, the cook came out of the kitchen and had a conversation with the waitress and her friend. The whole time my son and I sat waiting for breakfast. Finally the friend left, the cook went in the kitchen and the waitress miraculously found me coffee before disappearing. 30 minutes after our order, the waitress brought the first omelet. When she tried to give my son the vegetable omelet, I told her it was mine. She looked at me and said they would need to remake the omelet because it had cheese (she had mixed this up). A couple of minutes later, my son's omelet arrived (I assume they had to add cheese). Finally, 40 minutes after my order, the correct omelet arrives for me. When she brought me the check, I asked her to make change for a $10 bill. This challenged her as she couldn't open the cash register. She finally got the front desk staff to help her. She brought my change, took our bill and breakfast coupon and promptly had her next issue--how to process the coupon. Again she had to get help from the front desk staff. Once resolved, my son and I left, never to return again.

Room Tip: There are great local restaurants in the downtown area which is only a ten minute drive.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear RoadLessTraveledMD,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am delighted to read that you had a pleasant check in and you found our rooms to be nice and clean.

I am truly sorry to hear your troubles during your stay with us. My sincere apologies for the poor experience and service issues that you encountered in our restaurant.

Rest assured that all your comments will be looked into by the hotel's management and will be taken into consideration to target opportunity areas. I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to Blacksburg.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pembroke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel was a great find. It is right beside the New River Valley Mall and Regal Theaters. Walmart is on the other side. The lady who checked us in was very friendly and informative. Libby, the Director of Sales, came out and greeted us. The entire staff was very welcoming. There are several places to eat within walking distance, but we loved the hotel restaurant, Kem's. The waiter, Keith (I think), was probably the best waiter that we had ever had. The room was just the right size and had everything that one would need: large TV, refrigerator, microwave, ironing board, coffee, etc. The walls must be very think because the hotel was full of people but we heard nothing while we were there. The bed and pillows were great, but the best thing for me was.....the entire room, including the bathroom, was very clean!!! If I had to find one thing that I didn't like, it would be that the toilet paper holders are in a bad place LOL. If you ever need a place to stay while in the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area, you should definitely stay here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is our family's first choice when visiting VA Tech. We have stayed here approximately 10 times over the past two years. Very convenient to VA Tech, and stores / restaurants in the Christiansburg/Blacksburg area. Also very convenient to I 81. The staff is very customer oriented, friendly and very welcoming. The rooms are very clean, spacious and comfortable. We are never interrupted by noise outside our room. The workout and pool areas are clean and a nice size for guests to enjoy. The free breakfast is somewhat lacking compared to other Holiday Inns but still sufficient for a quick bite to start the day. The hotel offers a hot buffet at $8 but we have not eaten this as we do not eat a large breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The good:
Very clean and nice room. We were in room 517 which was right by the elevator, but was surprisingly quiet. We did not hear my nephews in the room next door. Hotel was very clean. Great, easy location close to Virginia Tech and restaurants/shopping if you needed something. It has a small pool that the kids enjoyed.

Everyone was friendly. There were graduation decorations and cupcakes and cookies out in the lobby which was a nice touch. Don't know if they always do this or if it was only for graduation weekend.

There really isn't anything bad to say about the hotel (other than graduation weekend prices - ouch) However, they do have some areas where they need to train and clarify things for their guests and employees.

The confused:
We had four rooms booked under one reservation for VT graduation with folks arriving at different times. I can't believe we are the first to do this, but we could not make the girl at the desk understand that someone else in the party had already checked in, we just needed to get our keys/room number. She started calling other hotels to see if we were at the wrong one. No, we weren't; you just were too busy being silly to listen. Thankfully another girl walked up and understood immediately.

The hotel has a small restaurant and bar, which is a little weird for this type and size of hotel. The continental type items (cereal, bagels, breads, fruit, coffee) were included with your room but there was no sign or information anywhere to let you know this. We found out only when we were peeking in to see what was what and an employee kind of announced it. The only signage was for the price of the hot buffet. The hot buffet (eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal - not sure what else) was around $9 (maybe 8.95?) The notebook/info binder in the room has a menu, including a kids' menu. We decided to eat in the hotel on Saturday morning since my son saw the pancakes and bacon meal and for $3.95,I thought it would be a bargain. However, when we tried to order it, the waitperson was new and didn't know what we were referring to. There was no copy of the kids' menu anywhere in the restaurant. Ended up paying about 3.95 for the pancakes and then another 3 for the sausage. With the jacked up prices for graduation (more than a night at an on-site Universal or Disney hotel - ugh), I was a bit annoyed. If you choose to eat here and want anything for kids, bring the booklet from the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Holiday Inn 99 Bradley Drive is by far as good as it gets .The staff is Friendly and efficient .They work hard at making everyones stay as enjoyable as possible.The hotel is always clean from the facilities to the lobby to all the rooms .I have had the luxury of staying there many times on business and have never had a disappiontment.I would recommend this hotel to anyone at anytime of year.

Room Tip: Looking forward to returning
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

my husband and i stayed for one night while we were in town for a wedding nearby. very convenient location...shopping mall, HUGE movie theater, many restaurants and strip malls nearby. we were warmly greeted at the front desk and no problems with our reservation...we got exactly the room type we had requested when we made the reservation a month or two prior. i was pleasantly surprised at how new and crisp and clean everything seemed especially for a holiday inn. the room was spacious and well-stocked with amenitities. the bathroom was extremely large and thinking perhaps it was the handicapped accessible room...room 214. the shower was nice and to my surprise, even had bath & body works toiletries. nice touch! we didn't use the pool or stay for the complimentary breakfast but those areas seemed just as new and clean as the guest rooms and main lobby. the front desk was extremely helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations. (try Due South BBQ!) also worth noting, our room was next to the elevator but the noise level wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. only drawback...very soft mattress, too soft actually. my huband and i woke up and had to take advil.

normally for a quick one-night stay, we would choose a hampton inn or westin. but i wouldn't hestiate to stay here again at this particular property whatsoever. very pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Over the years I have stayed in hundreds of hotels both in the U.S. but also in Europe and Asia. I have never stayed in a hotel which offered the wonderful level of extremely friendly service and professionalism as the staff at this Holiday Inn. The staff on the front desk, whether they be Sara, Jackie, the smiling Alexia, Grace, Chris, Libby, or the General Manager Trish, always make you feel very special every time you enter the lobby. With all the restaurant choices in the area I always have eaten in Kems at the hotel. Great selection of well prepared food ensured by Tabitha, and if you feel like a cocktail, or beer or wine like I do sometimes, go see Keith behind the bar. Great service, and great conversation. If you stay on a Wednesday don't forget about their complementary Mgr Special where you can have a drink, enjoy something great from the kitchen, and it is all on hotel. I always found that Kelly in housekeeping makes sure that the guest rooms are always spotless. If you are lucky you might meet Mani, the owner, and then you will have the chance to thank him for having the friendliest hotel staff around, and offering the best hotel choice in the Christiansburg area. I love staying at this hotel and would never consider staying anywhere else when I am there. .

Room Tip: I have stayed on time in most of their rooms and never had a bad one yet. They are all quiet, clean...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg? Share your experiences!