“Was better under older mgt,but still still very good” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Update restaurant details
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Description: Come for the show and Come Back for the food!Celebrating with the Family? Our expert chefs cook the highest quality ingredients while you watch at the table in the main dining room. If sushi is your preference, we have a sushi bar where you can watch our specially trained sushi chefs prepare all types of sushi. Prefer a quiet dinner for two? Sit in our lounge and bar next to our beautiful koi pond. You can enjoy our full menu regardless of what experience you choose for your dining adventure.
blacksburg va
“Was better under older mgt,but still still very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have been going here for many many years on special occasions.
In years past I would instantly say its a 5 rating.
last 2 trips have been under new ownership with a very changes to the menu.
our most recent trip was Saturday and like our last trip we did miss the omission of bean sprouts as one of the items served with the veggies.
A far as our meal we were very surprised at how empty the place was..... there was a big festival in town and this is probably why.
I had the biggest steak ( samurai) wife had the hibachi steak and shrimp.
both were very good although I feel like in past trips the seasoning was a bit off, just a bit blander than I remember.

I felt bad for the cook since it was a pretty lame table.the other 3 ppl at our table basicly ignored the show and said little when the chef did his tricks?.

portions were huge,and I think in this case even more so since the tables normally have 8 ppl, ours only had 5 so I believe the tray of rice was set for a full table.

The true star of our meal had to be the shrimp tempura appetizer.......... I feel like serving of this to split between 2 was a bargan at $9.
As always the ginger dressing on my salad was unlike anything I ever tasted anywhere.
If we haven't been going here for so many years I doubt I would have noticed a small diff In the quality /taste of main meal. . Staff was friendly and I would suggest arriving early even with reservations and enjoying a nice drink in their lounge before dinner.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kabuki C, General Manager at Kabuki Japanese Steak House, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
First, thank you for the comments, without them we can never improve our service to our customers, and we welcome all input! I would like to add some information concerning some of the points made in this review.

First, the restaurant is not under new ownership. The same owner, Mr. Koeda, has owned the Christiansburg Kabuki for almost 15 years now. Management has changed over the past couple of years as employees have moved on and we have promoted new management from within. The current general manager, Christinia, has worked for Kabuki for 13 years at both the Christiansburg and Roanoke locations. The current manager, Aaron, has worked for Kabuki for 4 years. The rising manager, Alex, has worked for Kabuki for 3 years (he worked here several years ago and returned when he moved back to Christiansburg). Our current head chef, Michael, has worked for Kabuki (Christiansburg and Roanoke) off and on for almost 20 years. As a team, we strive to make our customer's experience better however we can.

We have definitely made some changes in the restaurant over the past year or so. Some are because we (and every restaurant around us) have been dealing with greatly rising food costs and we do not want to increase prices for our customers. Some changes have come at the request of our customers. Some have been made to update Kabuki and adapt to changing customer expectations. All changes we have made are carefully thought out to better our customer's experience and make their visit with us truly extraordinary.

One change we have made is our menu. We still serve the same quality chicken, seafood, and Choice beef. Our sauces and dressings are made in house with fresh ingredients and the same secret recipes we have used for years. We even prepare our own butter in house. We are constantly looking for ways to prepare more in house and increase the quality of what we serve to our customers. What you eat here, you can't get anywhere else. With our new menu we have attempted to increase the options customers have when they visit us, while maintaining fresh preparation and fair pricing.

We have added a Build Your Own Combination section, a Dinner for Two for $30, creative new sushi, Teriyaki Salmon fillet, 9oz Samurai Steak (biggest steak we have ever offered), Bento Boxes, and a Calamari Appetizer with our own special cocktail sauce. At customer request, we removed mushrooms and bean sprouts from our standard dinner plates and replaced them with larger rice portions and carrots in the vegetables. We have also made our children's menu less expensive and more kid-friendly. We now have a full vegetarian menu, and can accommodate many dietary restrictions including gluten-free and allergies. We have added many new and creative drinks to our bar menu, and exciting new sake, beer, and wine options.

We have improved some atmospheric features of our restaurant, and there are still more to come. We brought new life to our pond and re-introduced koi. We have upgraded the lighting in the bar and sushi bar areas, painted the dining room, and redecorated the lobby and dining room. We are currently working on many exterior renovations as well.

Our staff training has also changed. We have increased the amount of knowledge our server staff gains while working with us so that they may better care for our customers. We work with them to provide in-depth knowledge of food, drink, and superior service standards. Our chefs are trained by our head chef in house, including our take-out and tempura chefs. We encourage all staff to learn not only from our restaurant, but others as well through employee experience programs.

We all work as a family at Kabuki to provide our customers an experience far beyond dining. None of this would be possible without our customers and the input they give us. Please keep the comments coming!

65% Recommend
Bethesda, MD
“Huge portions of Hibachi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I split the hibachi steak and chicken combo with shrimp appetizer, salad and soup. Enjoyed the food, especially the ginger dressing and shrimp. The chef was entertaining and service was prompt.

• Visited July 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Much more than you would expect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Kabuki is one of the most consistant good meals in the area. The sushi is good, and the hibachi "show" is always fun. The decor is fantastic and makes going there a memorable experience for any special occasion. The way under utilized bar is the nicest spot in the region to take a date for a drink, or a business/social meet.

Best value for the best time.

Enjoy!

• Visited May 2013
Troutville, Virginia
“Use to be much better :o(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have always enjoyed going here and went her pretty often and it had always been great....UNTIL.... ok so 1 not so great trip after so many great 1's, i think "ok things happen not a big deal food was still pretty good" That was at the begining of the yr and we have been back twice since (3 total in less than 5 months) and each time it gets less impressive. This past saturday are veggies were hardly warm, nothing close to being cooked. My schrimp and scallops were over-cooked, and they use to give so much food that my daughter (6) and I would share and still have plenty left over, well this time she wasnt with us (good thing) because the amount of food has been cut in half (but not the prices) ....I was so upset because I loved this place so much, and visted both locations often, but I gave it 3 addtional tries after i 1st started to notice it was going downhill

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hibachi dinner is pretty standard- rice, protein, veggies etc but it is quite good. I prefer to go here for the sushi! It's a bit pricey, but totally worth the money. Everything is fresh, and the servers are always more than willing to explain what in in each roll or what substitutions can be made. As an extra bonus (and to fill you up without putting too much of a dent in your wallet), ask for a side of fried rice. It is prepared exactly as if would be on the hibachi grill and is a great side for the sushi!

• Visited March 2013