“Live music & great BBQ” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Stevensville, MD
“Live music & great BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

It was late and we were hungry on a Friday evening. Looked up reviews for local eateries close to our office park hotel location and headed a few miles for this well-reviewed BBQ joint. Pleasantly surprised when we walked in....guy with an acoustic guitar was playing for a sparse crowd. We had the brisket....tender and sweet. Great BBQ and live music....what a treat!

Visited September 2013

89% Recommend
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Roadside BBQ Joint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Coming through the front door, diners may be turned off by looking at the remains of earlier diners dumped in a barrel bound for the compost pile and a bucket for used utensils. Being roadside, with limited parking and nestled by a trailer park with no noticeable wood pile leads one to sense only gas or electric smokers are used. Service is almost nonexistant. It's wait yourself. I had the 1/2 rack rib special. The Cole slaw was good. The three institutional hushpies were bland. The ribs were tough and over sauced, killing any taste. There was resistance in the meat, but again the sauce got in the way. Partner had the pulled pork sandwich which was more than enough for one sandwich. Some bark inside but more than one bite retreived fat globes. Over-all an average joint. This place has potential.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Placitas, New Mexico
“Another good review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We happened into Due South BBQ as we didn't feel like dinner in a chain restaurant. I'm not much for pork, so this review is primarily that of my dining partner, who loves pork BBQ. He ordered the pulled pork sandwich, which came with two sides and three hushpuppies. He spent many years living in the South and sampling various types of BBQ, and declared this to be just about the best pulled pork he'd ever eaten. His sides were sweet potato casserole ("like candy") and fried green tomatoes, which were very oily and sort of slimy, but that's pretty much the way they're supposed to be. I had my mouth set for BBQ brisket, but that's only served Fridays through Sundays. I had a smoked chicken salad sandwich, which was good but probably not the optimal choice. My side of fried okra was very tasty, and I could eat the hushpuppies by the dozen. The night we were there, there was a guitar-playing singer providing background music. With the fluorescent lights and rocking booths, don't come here expecting a whole lot of atmosphere; it's about the food. But better than ambiance is authenticity, which Due South has plenty of.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Good smoked pork, many choices of bbq sauces”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Ate lunch at Due South BBQ with family. We all had the BBQ sandwich from the daily specials board. Very nicely cooked pork, but could use a bit more smoky flavor in my opinion. They had several different types of sauces for you to choice from on the tables. I enjoyed my sandwich with a homemade mac and cheese, wife had a side of cole slaw, daughter had the fried green tomatoes, son in law had the sweet potato casserole. All said the sides were good. I'll definitely be back as I travel through this area several times a year.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Geneseo, Illinois
“Great BBQ!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent pulled pork and wonderful sides to go along with it. My wife and I tried the "special" the night we were there - all the pulled pork and sides you care to eat for only $9.95. They had a variety of sauces including 2 different "carolina"-types (1-mustard and the "clear" variety), a sweet style, and a hot variety.. I had the fried okra and baked beans-excellent!!! Even had banana pudding as a side.

• Visited August 2013