“Average food, great service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
VA
“Average food, great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

As part of daughters graduation from Radford University we decided to have a nice dinner at the Farmhouse. Previous reviews were up and down however we decided to give it a try. Went on a friday night not very crowded (the weather might have had something to do with it, raining cats and dogs when we arrived.) Greated by the hostess and sat right away - party of nine. Tammy was our server and did a fantastic job all night. The menu has a limited appatizer menu - we got some shrimp cocktail and onion rings - 4 shrimp and about 10 bland onion rings. Skip next time. The main couse menu has beef, chicken and seafood. The dinner party had some of each - the filet mignon whch two of the party order was below average. Overcooked and dry. Not worth the $28.00. The shrimp scampi was good, price was $17. Daughter had the ribs and said they were good. 1/2 rack $17. The fried shrimp - fried and not much flavor. The chicken came with a cream sauce and daughter said it was very good. Price was $16. We decided to share several deserts - all were good and generous portions. Overall the meal was good - we ate in the caboose room - recommend it for parties of 10 or 12. We have had dinner at several places in Christiansburg, the Farmhouse ranks about mid-pack. The service was great, food average. Will choose another place when spending as much as I did.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Virginia
“Have no idea how this place is still in business”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Back in the day The Farmhouse was THE place to go for a nice dinner. We hadn't been in years and my husband decided he wanted to go there for his birthday. When we came in, there was no hostess or anyone anywhere. We stood there for a few minutes until I finally walked down the hall to flag down a waitress. The place still looks just the same as it did in the 70's. Rustic, eclectic, cozy private booths with the same red checkered tablecloths. The atmosphere I did like, but little else. I ordered sweetened ice tea, which here in the south is available in EVERY restaurant. All they had was unsweetened to which I had too add my own sugar from an old fashioned dispenser (which will not disolve in cold tea). There was a huge layer of sugar at the bottom of my glass. The waiter suggested the "word famous" onion rings as an appetizer. We got them and they were jumbo rings covered with a hard, stale, flavorless batter. Yuck. Frozen onion rings I fix at home are better than those things. The house salad was decent...good lettuce and nice homemade dressing. Was very disappointed though that from a supposedly fine dining establishment, we were not offered fresh ground pepper. I ordered crab cakes and my husband ordered new york strip. His steak seemed to be cooked well and was okay. The waiter brought out a couple of rolls with whipped spread which were just eh. Definitely not homemade. My crab cakes were terrible. By terrible I mean they smelled and tasted like something rotten. I've eaten crab cakes everywhere and have never had an inedible crabcake before. I managed to choke one down but only because I did not want my husband to know how disappointed I was with the meal. The baked potatoes were good but super small and we had to struggle to open multiple tiny little foil wrapped pks of butter to put on the potatoes. Overall, the food is overpriced and blah, and the whole dining experience just seemed outdated and tacky or something. So sad because this place used to be great. I recommend everyone eat at a chain restaurant. ANY restaurant really. But avoid The Farmhouse.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Nice restaurant in interesting setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The restaurant is in an old farmhouse. My son loved the setting. The food was very good and the service was attentive. I was hesitant to go there but I am glad we did.

Visited March 2013
Virginia
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have been here for for multiple holiday dinners, wedding receptions, business meetings and each time I walk away with the same feeling: This is overrated

There are times where other restaurants in Christiansburg are so crowded and this is a good option that others may overlook but it is overlooked for a reason. I dont think we have had a meal here that we were really impressed by or felt that we could not get anywhere else.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Annapolis, MD
“Odd Experience; Odd Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We made reservations and we were asked if a booth was OK. Well, we had never been there, so it seemed like it should be fine, but it was a very dark wood booth with high walls in a hallway. There were table next to ours, but you couldn't see the people, which isn't necessary bad, but it felt odd. Also, the waiter couldn't see us unless he walked right up to our table so he never had any idea when we needed refills or were finished with our meal. The restaurant is in an old building with many hallways, so finding the restroom was interesting. There was no one at the front when we entered, so once again, we had to wander around to find the right person so we could be seated. Then there is the food. Mainly it's a steak house and we were all interested in such. However the steak was not seasoned, the vegetables were over cooked and the potatoes were wrapped in foil. (not bad, per se, but a sign that it's not an upscale place) and our NY strips were $28. Sorry, way too much for that type of food at that type of restuarant. I gave it 3 stars because the quality of the meat was good, the french fries were good (so says the kids), the waiter was nice and tried. We won't be back, though.

Visited March 2013