“Worst hotel ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn Christiansburg

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn Christiansburg to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn Christiansburg
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Bristol Drive, Christiansburg, VA 24073 (Formerly Knights Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 13 hotels in Christiansburg
Dalton, New York
“Worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I needed a place to stay on a long trip and ended up at the Rodeway Inn because the Econolodge across the street was full. We checked in at around 1:20am. First off, the room was extremely cold. I'd estimate between 30 and 40°. The room smelled bad. The heater looked smashed up and was barely working. It took several hours for the room to warm up. There were blood stains and hair on the sheets of both beds and even more blood on the side of the bed. We were completely disgusted. There were cobwebs all around the room, including in the heater. The walls and ceiling looked like they were falling apart. If it wasn't so late at night, we would have changed hotels in a heartbeat. We thought about sleeping in our car, but we had brought along extra blankets and pillows so we used those. Even then, it was so cold that we shivered for over an hour trying to get warm. We were out of there first thing in the morning. It was by far the WORST hotel experience I've ever had.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Gainesville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I usually travel with a travel trailer but this trip was an emergency so we had to leave the travel trailer in Florida and make a quick trip to upstate New York. Along the way we stopped for the night at the Rodeway Inn in Christiansburg VA on I-81 at exit 118-C.
The desk clerk told me to only turn the heat on low because the high setting sucked in cold air from outside.
When my wife made the reservation, she was promised a microwave which was not in the room. There was no water in the kitchenette sink, the night latch on the door was broken and not usable, no coffee maker, no Kleenex, and there was an empty K-Y Jelly box in the dresser drawer.
The room key card had a piece of tape with the room number on it so if by chance you dropped it in the parking lot anyone could pick it up and have your room number.
We should have been alarmed when we saw there was only one other vehicle in the parking lot. The clerk was pleasant and the room reasonably clean even though some of the bathroom moulding was missing and a dog had scraped up up the door. It is a pet friendly hotel with a $10 up charge. There wasn't much space to walk the dog and there was trash and debris all over.
Rodeway needs to check this place out.

Room Tip: Inspect first.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I rented this room for my son and his girlfriend for a VA Tech football weekend. I went ahead and paid up front because they would be arriving late. Once they got to the hotel they were given a room that was terrible. When they opened the door a mouse ran across the floor and out of the door. There was a hole resembling a bullet hole directly across from the room door. The jamb of the door was damaged as if someone had tried to kick the door in. The toiler ran constantly and the bathroom was dirty. When they went to the front desk to try and get another room no one was many the reception desk so they left the hotel and went to spend the night at friends closer to VA Tech. The next morning when I called to discuss a credit for the room charges the reservationist acted as if I was at fault and said they would not credit my card for the room because my son had not returned the key. When explained he had come by the front desk that night but no one was there the reservationist disputed his claim. My son immediately came back to the hotel to return the key he still had on his possession and again found no one at the front desk. He left the key and I called back to make sure someone had found it which they did. I expected to be charged for the room so I contacted my credit card company immediately. Much to my relief the hotel did credit the entire charge because I am pretty sure they knew the condition of the room but were hoping since my son arrived late he would not say anything about it. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had reservations at a major hotel chain that was closer to Blacksburg for Homecoming weekend, but figured we could stay at the Rodeway and drive the extra 3 miles to save $100+ a night. We cancelled the other reservations and booked the Rodeway Inn. While we may have had nicer amenities at the big chain, the Rodeway met our needs and saved us about $225. The continental breakfast was very basic, so we had breakfast elsewhere and still ended up saving about $200 for the weekend. The rooms looked a little tired, but they were clean and that's the most important thing for us. I would stay there again, we didn't have any issues with the room at all. It was much better than a few others we've stayed at in the Christiansburg area!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This place is one step away from being burned as a public health menace or demolished. Every thing is shabby. Water faucets turn the wrong way from the rest of north America. The instruction or guide plate for setting the HVAC controls is completely useless. Thin and tiny towells. Microwave was indicated at the web site but if the microwave was there I never saw it. Over priced for a roach motel. I had a far better room for less money at a Rodeway in Albuquerque, NM. That's way I took a chance with this one. Boy, was I wrong.

Room Tip: Don't go. The Choice Hotel chain is crap shoot. One never knows if their rooms will be worth the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Herndon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I really cannot find anything good to say about this place other than the friendly lady at the desk. It is an old motel in bad need of upgrades. Uncomfortable bed which didn't even have a fitted sheet but rather a top sheet tucked in...and quickly untucked during the night. Lumpy pillows. Small bath towels that didn't even wrap around me (and I am petite). And you only get two...we had to ask for more. Cheap everything all the way around. Worst of all no coffee pot. Get rid of the full size ironing board and iron and put coffee in the rooms! Who irons anymore any way? No complimentary breakfast but they DO have free wi fi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Traveled to Virginia Tech on a weekend with a major swim meet (I was not there for the swim meet). Hotels were booked or very expensive, but Rodeway Inn was reasonable priced so I booked a room here. The day I arrived I came early to see if I could check in early. There was nobody at the desk, but I had my computer with me so I used the wireless to answer some e-mail. He arrived about 20 minutes later saying he needed to stop by the store. The guy at the desk was very friendly and he was able to get me into a room even though I was 3-4 hours prior to check in time.

The rooms have outdoor entrances and parking is in front of your room. The area has many restaurants. I saw complaints about it being hard to find. Even though it is behind a closed gas station there is a sign on the road and I had no problems finding it.

The room itself could use a make over. Outdated, some wallpaper peeling, the carpet around the baseboards were dirty, and saw a few strands of hair in the bathroom (toilet and shower). A couple outlets did not work and one light did not work. It is a good size room and had a fridge and I think a microwave. The wireless worked well. The bed was comfortable. It looked like they would do a daily quick cleaning but it had been a long time since the room was thoroughly cleaned.

Breakfast is scheduled from 7-10am. I didn't check the breakfast out the first two days, but the last day I thought I would while I checked out. Got there at 7:45 and there was no one there. Door was locked and no breakfast was available. One other note about the breakfast area I noticed earlier, the spacious breakfast area shown on the web page consisted of a table and two or three chairs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Rodeway Inn Christiansburg? Share your experiences!