“Average Value & Average Stay (takes pets!)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Christiansburg

Save Saved
You added Days Inn Christiansburg to your Saves list
Days Inn Christiansburg
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2635 Roanoke Street, I-81 Exit 118C, Christiansburg, VA 24073   |
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
DC
“Average Value & Average Stay (takes pets!)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We needed a place to stay to sleep a few hours (I think we stayed 5-6 hrs tops); they take pets and the price wasn't bad. It's a super easy on/off from the interstate, and there's not much else (if you're heading west) for hours and hours. If you're looking for something not so cheap and average, stay at one of the other hotels next door. There are fast food joints around and gas next door. The room was clean enough, and the lady at the desk was nice. Quick breakfast options/coffee served early in the morning. Again they take pets, though I don't remember how much they charged (wasn't much).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vienna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've had several opportunities to stay at the Days Inn in Christiansburg. There are lots of competitors all around Christiansburg and Blacksburg in the level of the market - but the Days Inn stands out as a great place. Access to I81 and 460 is fantastic. For the rates - the rooms are fine. The staff is always willing to bend over backwards to accommodate all forms of requests.
HINT - I'm pretty lazy, so I always ask for a 1st floor room where I can park my car right outside.
Remember its not the Ritz, but for the dollar - its the best value I've found in my four years of traveling to VA Tech.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Colonial Heights, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

I expressed my concern with Days Inn Corporate and this was in response to their reply. They basically stated that the only thing they could do is promise that they are having maintenance look at it, and it wasn't a known issue, eventhough the front desk staff let me know I may have to wiggle the handle. They offered a 25% discount on my next stay, but after you read the e-mail below you will understand why 25% is not enough. And, this is all 100% my experience.
------------------------------------
To whom this may concern:

I appreciate your offer and your prompt response, but we will not be staying at this location again. It was not a matter of being compensated for our bad experience, but it was because the hotel's security, safety and overall operability was very poor.

The upstairs room: The air conditioning was not operational and the door key was operational, but might as well be for aesthetic purposes only. The point I am trying to make with this is: When we are coming to stay there for a Virginia Tech football game and we come 4 hours away to stay, we've packed up some valuable items and get there and find out we can't even leave the room, b/c the only working lock is the hinge that can only be applied from the inside. A locked room seems like a very basic necessity, I can understand if I was asking for a cappuccino maker in the room.

The downstairs room: Both our own and our neighboring room needed a magical touch to open the door handle. We first had trouble opening the door, so I went to the front desk to get our card reset, assuming that was the problem. The front desk host was very nice and stated, "try lifting up on the handle". This to me was a hint that it's a known issue. The hostess was trying to help, so that was appreciated. But, upon returning to the room, we struggled for easily 5 minutes trying to open the door. The trick was to push in where the handle connects to the door and then turn the handle. When the room's guests showed up next door, I filled them in on this helpful info, as they were struggling as well.

Throughout the common area, where the beds are located, it smelled very strongly of smoke, the ceiling was stained, and the wallpaper was peeling and rippling. Both rooms also had mold/mildew in the bathrooms.

We had two rooms, but were only able to use one room. When I stay in a hotel, I have just a few general requirements: heat/AC, a bed, a bathroom, and locking door. I generally do not e-mail hotels, but I have never had such a bad experience at a Days Inn. The money we lost in only having one usable room is greater than the 25% discount to stay and possibly receive the same quality and experience as before.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Pulled back the covers and mattress pad and found an alive bed bug as well as bed bug legs and parts in the mattress seams. Management moved us but refused to comp us the room. The other room had dead bed bugs, but what could we do? No other hotels for 2.5 hours. Now I know why I could book a room here so close to game day. I won't stay here again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Fredericksburg, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Believe the bad reviews. This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. And I've stayed in some scary places. I would rate Days Inn as the worst hotel chain in America right now. I have stayed at two bad ones in a row. I figured two dads and their teenage sons could rough it and save some bucks. It would have been worth it to avoid the ratty rooms, the maid service never cleaning the bathrooms during the stay (and not much evidence that they are ever cleaned), the noise, uncomfortable beds and general decay. They need to raze the place and start over. On the plus side, the staff is friendly, check in was great, the breakfast (except for the horrible coffee) was pretty decent, and you get a microwave and fridge in your room. The pool water was opaque, had a weird glow and had "something" growing on top. Don't ask, "How bad can it be?" You don't want to know.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

The room was shabby and needed updating. We had the safe charge removed from our bill but the original charge was not voided so we were billed twice. It took 6 callls to talk to a manager, who did put through a credit and fax us a copy of the credit. Also, they couldn't find where they put my iceblock (no freezer in fridge in room) and it took 10 minutes of searching. I would advise against staying here. The Days Inn in Blacksburg is fairly nice. I'm getting very leary of staying in Days Inn. There doesn't seem to be any standards and the pricing is often out of line for the area and room. Some have a great breakfast and some have nothing worth eating.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

This is the ONLY hotel in Christiansburg that has a vacancy during football season which speaks for itself!!!! I stayed here when I dropped my son off at college because it was the ONLY hotel available. Before going into the room I made a reservation for a football game in September......a very bad decision. The places is dirty and outdated......don't waste your time or money. Even worse is when I went to cancel my September reservation they lied to me and told me they didn't have any record of it and then charged my credit card. Despite repeated phone calls to solve the problem they never got back in touch with me and I am dealing with the dispute via my credit card company. AVOID THIS PLACE....drive a little further to get yourself a decent hotel, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Days Inn Christiansburg? Share your experiences!