“Not great but not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
virginia
“Not great but not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

All things considered, room was not awful. A bit musty but clean. Continental breakfast sparse but good for dieters!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Our horrific experience at the Econolodge in Christiansburg, VA, began with the shocking state of the room’s door. Its original white paint was in need of immense sprucing up. Upon entrance into the room the not so pleasant spell wafted into my nostrils and made me question the sanitation of this dimly lit room. In order to obtain more light in the space I cautiously approached the vanity and attempted to switch on the light above the sink ‘s “vanity.” At first my attempts were futile for the light would not switch on. I called my father over to assist me and we soon realized we needed to give the light time to “warm-up.” Unfortunately once lit, the light proved to be more of a source of seizure rather than illumination. This became a constant annoyance. The light did not prove to be the only item in the vicinity that was a disappointment to our stay. The beds, luckily, did not contain any infestation of bed bugs but did leave one to the imagination as to who may have inhabited the bed before I. Not only were there a few questionable stains on the fitted sheet but the pillow also held proof of another’s DNA, a strand of hair rested on one side of the pillow. I quickly flipped it over and attempted to put the thought out of my mind that the sheets are clearly not properly cleaned after each use. After my examination of the bed I removed the comforter to find a ratty looking blanket that I quickly chose not to use. As I lay down to attempt to get some sleep, a peculiar noise disturbed my slumber. A strange gurgling noise was coming from the sink; I ignored the noise but was quickly informed first thing in the morning what the noise was. This noise was not the only that caused my sleep to be interrupted, the movement of our surrounding neighbors also kept me awake. My father awoke in the morning to find the sink filled with dirt, as if water from another guest’s room had backed into the sink during the night. This incident proved to be the last straw and our decision was final; this room was not acceptable to stay in any longer. We quickly took our showers, concerned once again for our personal sanitation. After a long day and even longer night of lack of sleep we took our leave of the Econolodge and long story short we will never return nor recommend this motel to anyone besides recently released convicts or the insane. Lastly, the only thing missing from this room was the coin slot to make the bed vibrate; I assume you have to pay extra for that upgrade in the room.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Palmyra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We just wanted clean and comfortable, but instead we found old worn dirty linens and blankets, and a refrigerator that wouldn't work. Some kind of gooo in the shower and best of all a roach in the bathroom. I was very uncomfortable the whole night worrying about bed bugs and roaches and stains. Management has dismissed me as a liar, and will not acknowledge anything except the gooo in the shower. I will NEVER stay in another Econolodge again. Oh, and we had to pay extra for these lovely problems as there was a Virginia Tech home game that weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
grove city oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had car issues and had to be towed to the nearest Honda dealer which was about a mile down the road from this hotel. The staff (sorry I don't remember the two guys names) were quite helpful to us. The first clerk would have gone to pick up my son at the dealer once the car was dropped off but the tow truck driver (another fantastic person) brought him back. This clerk checked with the 11-7 clerk to see if he could take us to the dealer first thing in the AM & called our room to say he would. Neither person would have had to assist us in any way but were glad to do so.

The room we had was clean - the hotel is upgrading at this time & we thought we were in a room that had already had the carpet replaced. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Parkville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed here on July 28th and had 8 rooms reserved for a group. Check-In process was very smooth and the handsome desk clerk name Taz was very friendly and professional. He tried his best to put all of us on the same floor/if not as close as possible together. I must say, I was very impressed with the room(s) condition. Some of us had pet's travelling with us...and We had absolutely no issues placing the pet(s) in the room...Room was big enough for everyone! Later on, I came down to find out about the area and what are the good resturant's for dinner and Taz recommended a lot of them and one of them had pretty much a little bit of everything for all of us. Then, he helped me with the directions and showed me how to get there on his GPS on his phone! I was also not able to connect to WiFi And called Taz. Even tho he explained it very well. I was still not able to connect to it. I called him again and asked him if he could come by and show me. He was very kind and came to my room. Later on, we found out it was not the WiFi...But it was my laptop!...However, Taz was able to fix my laptop issues as well and then I was able to connect. He's very genius and generous to the guest and provides very well put-together customer service! Also my room's hair dryer was not working and brought this issue up to Taz and he jumped on it right away and fixed it for me! :) Also, we chatted for a bit and I found out that this property will be upgraded soon. I was very excited to find out more abouot the area from him...The guy who was working the night shift was also very nice, asked him for extra towels and he was very polite. The breakfast was okay just to start off your morning and get you goin...And that's what we all really needed. The lobby space was clean and neatly decored. The staff of this hotel are very well mannered. I work with a lot of customer service and travel around a lot. I can recognize excellent service when I see one and TAZ definately goes over beyond to provide a wonderful stay! I would definately stay at this hotel again and would recommend to all my friends and family!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice! Hint: always ask for Taz to get the best Pricing on the rooms!and excellenet...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Central Square, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We chose this hotel as it was half way on our trip and located near the highway. Our room smelled like something had died in it. The carpet was so filthy we kept our shoes on the whole time. Our shower wouldn't drain. The front desk lady came with a plunger, no go. She gave us a key to the room next door to shower, telling us that the air conditioner was broken so they couldn't put anyone in it. We got up at 5 am went next door to shower and walked in on some poor man sleeping. Scared both of us half to death. Went to the front desk and told them we wanted our money back. The guy at the desk laughed when we told him we walked in on someone else in the room. He said " We thought you showered last night so we rented the room out". He would only refund half our money and told us " you got to sleep what else do you want" We had to finish our trip home without showers,feeling dirty from the filth in the room. Also the door had no jam left in it so the lock didn't work , the security latch was missing. We put the table and chairs in front of the door. It was the WORST motel I have ever been in.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Linden, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Actually stayed here at two different times last year. Once on my own last June. Then again with my husband last December. I chose it because I had 2 dogs with me the first time. The hotel is clean but a bit outdated. I had a ground floor room, so it was nice with the dogs. It has internet service, which is always a plus. The room was clean. Bed was fairly comfy.Easy access to I-81, food and gas are close by.This hotel is across the highway from the Rodeway Inn, and given the choice, I would pick this one. It's better kept up, and a bit nicer. Reasonably priced.This one does not charge a fee for your dogs, Rodeway Inn charges $10.00 per night for each pet. I would probably stay here again if I had both dogs with me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!