“Average room, below average service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Christiansburg
West Orange, New Jersey
“Average room, below average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Unfortunately, what could have been a nice stay at this hotel was marred by a billing issue. This was the first overnight stop on a family road trip. I saw that we were running behind schedule so I called ahead to let them know I would arrive very late. I was assured that everything was fine and was actually told that I " have until 6am before the room would be given away anyway."

Upon arrival (at around 4 or 5am) I tried to check in but my reservation could not be found. The girl at the front desk reasoned that after she did her night audit at midnight, my reservation was probably cancelled automatically (despite what the previous guy told me about 6am). The room was still available though so she was able to just book it again. Problem solved, right? WRONG!!!! I should have known something wasn't right when she had trouble running the card that the original reservation was charged to. She said it was declined and advised me to check with my bank (FYI - I did the next morning and it was fine). I was extremely exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep so I gave her another card to charge and went on up the room. The next morning I checked out, got a printed receipt and left.

Later that day, I checked my account and found not one but THREE separate charges from Quality Inn! Two for the same amount on my receipt and one that was slightly higher. I called them back and after the guy at the desk conferred with his manager, I was basically told there was nothing they could do since at this point they were all pending authorizations and that I would have to wait for them to "fall off". Do you know how long it takes an authorization to just "fall off" your account??? Never mind the fact that I was in the middle of a cross country road trip and would like to have all of my money available to me! And how about the fact that obviously there was some clerical error on your part that even put all of these charges onto my card? No explanation or apology for why this happened, why there were charges for different amounts, or which one will be the amount that actually posts!

Everything eventually corrected itself on my account, but these guys certainly left a bad taste in my mouth and put a damper on what was (otherwise) a stellar vacation. In all fairness, I have to say that I have no complaints about the actual accommodations though. That's the only reason I didn't give a lower rating. If you choose to stay here, just pay attention to how many times they swipe your card, keep a close eye on your receipt, and watch your bank account.

Room Tip: No elevators, so if you have a lot of luggage you may want to request the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Easy to find off the main highway, this was a great spot to stop off at. The greeting at the front desk was exceptional and the staff were lovely and helpful. Lots of families staying so the the outdoor pool was busy with happy children! I had hoped to use the on-site laundry but it wasn't to be, there seemed to be someone in there all the time so I passed. The room was clean and cool and smoke-free, which wasn't to be said for the outsides of most of the rooms, people seemed to be booked into non-smoking rooms but standing in their doorways smoking anyway. Other than that, it's a great place to stop and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was expecting a clean room and minimal breakfast..............to my surprise the room was very nice, spacious and very comfortable. Nice pool, great hot tub, really good warm breakfast. The reception area/office was beautiful with offerings of cookies and lemonade 24/7. I thoroughly enjoyed my stop over in Christiansburg.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

After a recent (the night before) stay at a rather dirty Quality Inn we gave this one a shot in Christiansburg. We were not disappointed at all.

This is how a hotel should be run. It was quite crowded which was a good sign but that also brings along with it a number of smokers who get a non-smoking room (because of capacity I'd say) and therefore smoke along the outside corridors. At any rate our room was spotless, fresh smelling and a good size with all the amenities noted being there. The staff were friendly upon arrival and accurate with their directions etc. Upon checkout the staff person was less so but competent so I guess that is what counts.

Location was perfect for our run onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. The breakfast was crowded (we didn't partake because of time) and chirpy so that was a good sign.

No problem at all recommending this stop on your way through southern VA or on I81 or anytime for that matter.

Room Tip: We were right above the outside pool and never heard a sound, so I would say no problem.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Wow! Who knew that Christiansburg was the town that never sleeps! And this hotel was in the middle of it all! The swimming pool was overtaken by a couple of families who also allowed their children to run free (with yapping dachund in tow), fireworks being shot off one of the balconies (at least that was short-lived), a group of young men cooking hotdogs in the parking lot, and people coming and going pretty much all night.

However, the room was your good basic, classic motel room. Things were clean and bed was comfy. Don't know about breakfast...we didn't stay as it was all basically carbs.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from "groups" that are staying there together if you want any peace and qui...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Im not one to complain or to get someone in trouble, but when I was reading other reviews and saw other people complain about the older breakfast attentant I thought to myself, SURELY she can't be all that bad -- but I was wrong. My family of 4 were the only people down for breakfast and when I went to make my waffle I was rudely pushed asided and she said "I'll do that, I don't want you making a mess". When she walked away, I proceeded to make another one, since there were 2 waffle makers and 4 of us and there was no one else there waiting -- she looked at me and rudely asked "are you making another one?". My reply was "yes, there are 4 of us and we would all like to eat". I could understand if there was a long line and only one maker, but this was not the case. I don't want to pay $100.00 expecting a nice breakfast but then given the 3rd degree about it. The hotel itself was nice -- we slept very well and the front desk people were very nice and helpful as we checked in.

Room Tip: In the same parking lot as Cracker Barrel -- that was nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Little Elm, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This would have been a one star review had the staff not made the efforts they did to rectify a multitude of problems. Number one, We booked a room that was to have a king and sleeper sofa. The night staff did bring up two roll aways to help. Instead of the sleeper it had a recliner. Number two, the AC unit sounded like a jackhammer which could be heard in the parking lot. I know because as I was unloading the car, I could hear it quite clearly. Major heat wave in this area and we had to only run the fan. Nothing else to do without maintenance which was not available. Number three, the bathroom was not clean and the shower was awful. Number four, the attendant working breakfast was mean, disrespectful and lacked proper food area etiquette as she first coughed over the waffle makers then as opposed to using the brush which was right in front of her, she cleared the crumbs off of the waffle maker by blowing them off. No joke about this whereas the hotel itself is nothing but a joke.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
Comfort Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Christiansburg
Hampton Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Christiansburg

Been to Quality Inn Christiansburg? Share your experiences!