“"I checked your room and it's clean." The front desk guy should play poker” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6273 Maddox Blvd, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336 (Formerly Quality Inn Chincoteague)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Glenside, Pennsylvania
“"I checked your room and it's clean." The front desk guy should play poker”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

My husband, sister, nephew, our two dogs and I, on our way to the Outer Banks for a week, decided to make a half-way stop at Chincoteague Island. Although we found the island charming enough for our one night stay we would have preferred camping on the beach to our stay at the "Quality" Inn. Quality Inn - I've never heard a more ironic name considering the outrageous price we paid for a disgustingly dirty room, rude service and a room/hotel that was substandard in every way. A pet friendly room with two queen beds was $250 -for this price we got towels that were so dirty that there were large pieces of food and other goo attached to them, the tub was caked with dirt and as a bonus the previous hotel guest's earring was left on the bathtub ledge. There was hair in the sink, the rug hadn't been vacuumed in quite some time and the covers and sheets on the bed were dirty. The T.V. looked like it had been used as an ashtray for several years with burn holes around it and the room smelled of mold. My husband and nephew arrived at the hotel first and they complained to the front desk. The man from the front desk came to our room and amazingly proclaimed to my husband and nephew that the room was indeed clean and I guess he was also inferring that my husband & nephew were hallucinating instead of truly seeing actual filth before their eyes. My sister and I drove up to the hotel just in time to see the front desk guy beat a hasty retreat from our room. We noticed that both my husband and nephew looked upset. My husband said,"I don't think you're going to like this room. I complained but the guy won't do anything about it." My sister and I looked around the room, were outraged and went to the front desk. We were greeted by the same man we saw leaving our room when we drove up and when we complained to him about our room he actually had the guts to say,"I checked your room and it's clean." This guy should play professional poker for a living. I told him that he must not have very good eye sight because the place was so egregiously dirty that I planned to put the pictures of our health hazard of a room up on TripAdvisor as a warning to future travelers to avoid this "Quality" Inn like the plague. That finally got him moving. So instead of starting my vacation sightseeing or laying on the beach, I spent the next hour supervising the cleaning of the bathroom, the vacuuming of the floor, helping with making the beds with clean covers and sheets (after I discarded several "clean" blankets and sheets that the maid brought in that actually had dirt and grass clinging on them). We will never forget the worst way we ever spent $250 and will never ever stay at another Quality Inn. Perhaps other Quality Inns do not deserve to be lumped in with this dump but there is obviously no quality control going on in this chain of hotels which makes the name brand completely useless.

• Liked — After we got clean sheets and blankets the mattresses were at least comfortable
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

My family and I have stayed in many Quality Inn's over the years and I am a "choice member". However, This was by far the worst time we ever had!!! We were reserved for 4 nights-only stayed one! We had a very rude desk person on our check-in and it went downhill from there. After we checked in I called her about crud on the bathroom floor near the toilet and body hair in the tub and on the floor. I wanted someone from housekeeping to come in while we were out. I was told that there was no one available to clean the bathroom. (everyone from housekeeping was gone) IThis was not the middle of the night - it was in early afternoon!

My wife finally cleaned the bathroom herself. If we had access to a vacumn cleaner she would have used that also since our socks and feet were black from dirt after walking in the room.

When asked about the 100% guarentee we were told by Ray it didn't apply to us. We stayed in the room for the 1 night. Although they had signs all over the motel. And, we were not happy at all. We were offered a small discount on a future stay. Like we will ever stay at that motel again when we are on Chincoteague.

We stayed here last year and everything was wonderful....What a turnaround!!!! The front desk people were exceptionally nice and bent over backwards to be helpful The breakfast area was spotless and the hostess was exceptional. Although the room is still small. We were able to take our trays back to our room...not this year. The breakfast room was dirty and the food seemed to be thrown at us in dirty, greasy display cases. And the food tasted stale! We left it uneaten and went to a local restaurant.

We cut our time short (left right after breakfast) but we moved to another motel down the street. They were very nice and helpful.....AND CLEAN!

We were very unhappy with this motel. Very dirty and very very unfriendly staff. They made us feel as though it was our fault the rooms were dirty and we had the nerve to complain. They acted as though we were there to serve them not the other way around. You can't treat guests the way they did!! Without us they won't be in business very long.

The only bright spot was the maintenance man always had a smile and tried to be helpful. He kept the pool and the grounds very well.

And of course Lightening the Chincoteague Pony!!!! He is always a treat.

• Liked — The pool was nice and clean
  • Disliked — Attitude of managiment and staff!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

Carpet chewed by animal leaving exposed rusty carpet tacks. Room smelled so bad that we had to buy scented candles to get through the night. Tub wouldn't drain. Bath towels filthy. Front desk expressed little to no concern regarding overall poor conditions of the room.
It was the only motel in area with availablity when I reserved. Only booked it because it was part of a national chain. It was a bad decision. The 100% gaurantee satisfaction sign displayed in the room means nothing. When I inquired at the front desk about using the gaurantee, I was informed by the desk manager that she could not do anything and I would have to speak to the manager. I asked to see the manager and was told that he was not available. It's been a month since the incident and the only attempt by the motel to address the matter is a recent offer of 25% off of my next stay at the motel. That's an offer that they will never have to make good on.
Worst experience I've ever had at a motel. I suggest you spare yourself a similar experience and stay away from this place.

• Liked — Getting out of there
  • Disliked — Room and staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!