“Make Reservations” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner since 1960. The freshest local seafood, hand cut steaks, and chops. As well as pasta dishes. All accompanied by our international wine list. Beer and cocktails are served. Be sure to save room for our legendary desserts
Encinitas, CA
“Make Reservations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Tried just dropping in on a Friday night - a 3-hour wait. Made a reservation for the next night then asked where another good place to eat was. They were very helpful, gave us directions to what turned out to be a pleasant place about 4 miles away. Service at bills was great - the food excellent (although why they give you crackers and cheese as a starter is beyond me). Had bacon-wrapped scallops and they were perfect. I would highly recommend this place - just be sure to make reservations!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore, Maryland
“Best of Chincoteague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We had heard from several people on Chincoteague Island that Bill's was best for a celebration dinner...in our case a birthday. We agree. We've eaten at the Village, Mr. Paul's, AJ's...all good, but, in our view Bill's is considerably better. My son and I split a filet and blackened halibut and shared. Both excellent. The kid's chicken tenders went over very well with the eight year old. Pasta with marinara was a hit with the 12 year old. The special Mahi Mahi for our daughter in law was also outstanding. We could not have asked for a better waitress. In fact, we have observed that we think Chincoteague Island waitresses attend a special "good service and be friendly and nice" school. At every meal we have been impressed. At least on this Saturday night before Easter reservations were a must. It was packed, but, still, the food was served in a timely fashion.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
LOCAL
“Amazing dinner. We will go back every time we're down.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Ate here about a month or so ago......wife and I went down to check out the area and look at some houses for summer vacation.

Ordered coconut shrimp as an appetizer, and it was great. Then again, coconut + shrimp are among life's most perfect pairings, and I don't recall ever ordering coconut shrimp that I didn't like....so take that for what it's worth!

I ordered the cream of crab (and coming from someone from the eastern shore of Maryland who grew up crabbing and whose grandmother made the best crab dishes known to all mankind) and it was very very good. My wife, who likes crab, but doesn't go out of her way to order it like I do, couldn't keep her spoon out of my bowl. Again, very good.

For dinner, I ordered the flounder (when in Rome....) stuffed with crab imperial, scallops, and shrimp. I don't often order fish, but I knew if there was going to be a good place to order flounder, it should be Chincoteague.....and it did not disappoint. The flounder was HUGE and everything else was perfect. It was excellent.

For desert, based on the travel agent lady's recommendation, we ordered the chocolate cake....don't remember the exact name, but it was made in several layers, and it was probably the best chocolate anything I have ever eaten.

Anyway, Bill's is one of those places where if you are in Chincoteague and you want a memorable and fantastic meal, this place is an absolute must. We will be back every time we are ever in Chincoteague. Guaranteed.

And have others have mentioned, or errr...complained about, the lighting is low. However, I don't go to places for the lighting....or for the seating area while you wait for a table....I go for the quality of the meal.

And by the way, MAKE RESERVATIONS. Even in February/March....

PS - complaints about calories?? At a seafood restaurant? Seriously?? You don't go here to count calories, you go here for a fine quality meal. You want to count calories? Try a 6" veggie sub from subway. Sheesh.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Save your money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I ate there for his 60th birthday. Both the décor and the menu are in desperate need of an upgrade. We checked out the menu before going, but decided that it might be fun to step back in time to the 60s/70s. Even though we had a reservation, restaurant, we had to wait about 20 minutes to be seated. There is no place to sit while waiting, which is not helpful for anyone with a disability.

The food itself is so/so. I ordered a cup of cream of crab soup. It was flavored with some kind of spicy cheese product (something a notch or two above Cheez Wis). The crab cakes were okay and flounder was pretty good too. My husband liked the crab imperial. I didn't try it.

Our server kept making wise cracks about my husband's large appetite. He thought she was just trying to be friendly, but I found it to be highly unprofessional.

I asked the maitre d for a recommendation for the best desert. He suggested a blueberry lemon cream cake. It wasn't worth the calories.

The lighting was terrible; so dark I couldn't read the menu. And, it was cold. I ate with my winter coat on. I really don't care about the atmosphere if the food is good. But, we had better meals in Chincoteague for less than half the price.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Bill's fits it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Warm, inviting atmosphere complimented by friendly, charming wait staff makes for a perfect way to end a day at the beach. The food is tasty with well prepared seafood and meat options. Don't miss it.