“Like visiting old friends” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waterside Inn

You added Waterside Inn to your Saves list
Waterside Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3761 Main St., P.O. Box 347, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay Now SAVE Later!
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania, United States
“Like visiting old friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Every summer, at least once a summer, we travel to Chincoteague Virginia to see family. I have been coming to Chincoteague all of my 43 years. In those years we have tried pretty much all the hotels on the island. However, approx. 12 years ago my family recommended that we stay at the Waterside. They are friends with the owners, who are LOCALS so, naturally we want to support friends of the family and residents of what I consider "my happy place".

What an amazing experience we have each and every year. Greeted by Miss Donna, who is always super friendly and helpful beyond imagination. Miss Sharon who works there as well is awesome. These ladies are so sweet and so much fun. I love the greetings we get as soon as we walk in the front door. It begins even before that, if we make our reservations from home, they know who we are, how many children we have traveling with us and that we like to be near the pool. Which, I would like to add is open and heated until well past midnight. Something about relaxing by the pool and making memories with my family. Mr Donnie has the most beautiful roses surrounding the hotel.
Now, the hotel itself is CLEAN, and always updated-with free wi-fi. The staff who do the agonizing job of housekeeping always have something pleasant to say as you pass. The rooms are always fresh, clean, and done quickly. I feel safe completely unpacking my things into the dressers, cant say that about every place. The pool is always clean, with plenty of chairs and tables surrounding the pool area. Picnic tables and grills are provided, and is something we take advantage of each year. They provide breakfast, which makes the Waterside a deal that can't be beat.

I can honestly say that the Waterside Inn is the best hotel on Chincoteague. I love checking in and knowing that I am going to see the same people year after year, and have some laughs with them and feel welcomed and like they are glad to see us. I feel safe, hotel is well light with ample parking. The location is wonderful, walking distance to downtown, grocer stores, shopping, trolley stop is right there, and carnival grounds are super close. And great views from the dock.

this year alone our family from Las Vegas, Colorado and us from PA will be spending a week at the Waterside. We can't wait, and wouldn't stay any place else.

Room Tip: can't get a bad room. If you have children then by the pool. Adults, you might want by the lob...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
WIChincoteague, Owner at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Kelly , thank you for the terrific review. We really appreciate your loyalty for so many great years and are looking forward to seeing all of your family again. Tommy's roses will be in full bloom when you arrive this summer. He adds more every year. We have been working hard on renovations and upgrades and know that you will appreciate all of those. Breakfast choices have been expanded so you will have more choices for that. August can't get here fast enough. See you then. Donna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Princess Anne, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have stayed at the Waterside Inn in both summer and the "off season" both were fantastic! I wanted to take my mattress home with me- most comfortable ever! Took a beautiful picture from my private balcony of the sunset on the Chincoteague Channel! Topped off with a FREE hot breakfast!! I enjoyed having coffee and cocoa in my room and a lot of the restaurants, bars, stores are open year round contrary to what some people may think of in the winter. They even have first run movies at the local theater! I would highly recommend the Waterside Inn, they have a Jacuzzi and exercise room on site, every room has the private balcony and I love the "local flavor" it is locally owned and operated by the Mason family- the husband personally attends all of the gorgeous roses that surround the property. They even have a fishing and crabbing pier and free boat docking with your stay! Overall my favorite place and want to go right back for the Death by Chocolate promotion they have Valentines weekend with prizes from the Historic Downtown Merchants Association!

Room Tip: They still over smoking and non smoking rooms so choose your favorite. There are floors that favor...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
WIChincoteague, Owner at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thanks for the great review. It is pretty quiet this time of year but what a good opportunity to escape the pressure of the season. It can be a "staycation". You can travel less than an hour away and feel like you are in a different world. Relax with your Kindle or e-reader or go to one of the matinees at the movie theater and then a wonderful dinner afterward .The Wildlife Refuge is so beautiful in the winter, very different from the summer beach scene. I am glad you mentioned the Death by Chocolate event on Feb. 15th, call the Waterside for details at 1-877-336-3434. We hope that you return soon and often!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed here because of the close proximity to the Wallops Island launch facility. I couldn't believe that I could see the launch pad from the balcony of my room. I was able to watch the launch of the Anteres rocket on 1/9 from my room and it was amazing! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room (and it's location!) was perfect...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WIChincoteague, Manager at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for the fabulous review Scott! We appreciate you sharing the amazing photos of the launch that were captured from the balcony of your room! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is probably one of the cleanest rooms that I have ever stayed in. However, if you are the type of person who likes new and modern, this is not for you. The furniture is older and definitely dated, but in very good condition. The service at this inn is exceptional and breakfast is even included. It is styled after the breakfasts that you get at some chain hotels, including the waffle machine. The difference is that the staff makes the waffles for you and the eggs are real, not salty processed powdered eggs. If you get a room with a water view, it is inspiring.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a water view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WIChincoteague, Manager at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
We appreciate and thank you for your recent view! Cleanliness is very important to us, I will be sure to pass your compliments on to our house keeping staff. Our guests enjoy the hot breakfast daily and the waffles are a sure favorite! We hope that you will come see us again very soon!
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have been staying at Waterside twice a year for the past 5 years -- the waterside location, deck/balcony, views of the channel, awesome staff in the office and housekeeping are superb. It is always sooooo relaxing there. We are visitors to the Wildlife Refuge and enjoy the quiet of the location -- sunsets from the deck, dolphins in the channel, eagle flying over, loon in the channel -- couldn't ask for more. The roses are specutacular, the hot tub inviting, the pool refreshes, the privacy is welcome. Donna and Sharon and other staff are so friendly and helpful with questions about the Island and activities happening. We plan to continue our visits there till 'old age' prevents us from traveling! The only recommendation would be to have a more comfortable chair(s) in the room after a long day of walking on the refuge - the loveseat in our room never gets used. Thanks everyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for the great review! We love having you as a return customer and hope to see you again very soon!
Lanarkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a short stay here with friends
The views from our rooms were fantastic once the mist cleared in the morning!
The resort was very peaceful and welcoming
Breakfast was plentiful and fresh in a welcoming environment where all the locals were chatty and friendly
Value was very very good

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WIChincoteague, Manager at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
We hope that you and your friends will return for a visit very soon! It is so nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your review and your patronage!
NoVA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I came down to Chincoteaque for the Minotaur I Rocket launch on November 19. We found our rooms to be spacious and very comfortable. We had dinner at Bill's Seafood Restaurant up the street, which I though had good but not great food, and a bit overpriced. We came back in time to check the view from our South-facing balcony and discovered that we were just a bit too far back from the water to have a clear view of the launch pad. So we walked out along the Inn's 100 yard dock/fishing pier and set up to watch the launch from there. When we learned the launch had been delayed, we walked back to the Inn and met Donna, the delightfully warm and friendly owner of Waterside. She shared with us stories about earlier launches and said that NASA had selected Waterside as a site for one of their knowledgeable docents to give talks about the LADEE Mission and its rocket launch earlier this year.

We saw the rocket go up-- a clear view of the pad across the open water and a spectacular sight. This is an experience you want to do at least once in your life: watch a rocket launch from the Waterside Inn pier!

After the launch it was back to the room, a bit or reading, and bed. Comfortable firm beds ( I admit we like ours a bit softer) and a quiet night. The next morning we enjoyed a hearty breakfast on the house: Sausage patties, scrambled eggs, and some of the best biscuits and gravy we've had in a long time. Good coffee and tea. We passed on the mini-Belgian waffles only because we were too full. Also available were fresh oranges, canned peaches, doughnuts and muffins, bagels, rolls, English muffins... really, there was something for nearly every appetite.

While we were there it appeared that locals would come in to share their views on the launch and we and other guests sat together and chatted as if we'd been friends all along.

I think you'll find A truly delightful visit when you stay and the Waterside Inn. We plan to come back for other launches and in warmer weather to enjoy their pool.

Room Tip: If you want to watch a rocket launch from the comfort of you own balcony, get a room on the second o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed watching the Nov.19th rocket launch from our pier. The Waterside offers a premier view of all launches from Wallops!. We offer rocket launch discounts, be sure to give us a call and take advantage of our specials. Spaceflightnow.com has all upcoming launch details. I will pass the word on to Donna that you enjoyed meeting her. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Waterside Inn? Share your experiences!