“Waterside Inn, Chincoteague” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waterside Inn

You added Waterside Inn to your Saves list
Waterside Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3761 Main St., P.O. Box 347, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 2 get 1 FREE!
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dix Hills, New York
“Waterside Inn, Chincoteague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband & I planned an extended weekend getaway for last week and I found the Waterside Inn online totally by chance. I had read the reviews, which were mostly great, but was concerned about the couple of negative ones I had read as well. But I decided there were more plusses than minuses and went ahead and booked a room and then spent 3 weeks worrying over my decision. I shouldn't have worried. Waterside was & is the most perfect retreat I could think of in that little island town. We were greeted warmly as if we were old friends. Our room was clean, linens were spotless, carpet was new. It smelled of a pleasant, slight disinfectant and I felt reassured by the scent that the bathroom was well cared for too (which it certainly was). Our bed (we had 2 queens, one high & one low) was incredibly comfortable & when we took the pillows off the other bed, we slept great every night. We had a lovely view from our weathered wood balcony of the bay as well as some bushes & grassy areas where a couple of duck clans loved to waddle around. When we'd sit and read on the balcony, we had the sounds of seagulls crying above us & ducks chatting below us and we really couldn't hear anything else except a couple of voices from next door rooms. It was incredibly relaxing. Every room seems to have a view of the bay, except maybe if your at the end closest to the office on the ground floor, the bushes were higher there. Some people recommend getting a ground floor room b/c there's no smoking on the ground floor. I don't think that's true because I did see people smoking below us.

Two things that would make the hotel beyond perfect would be 1) if it were completely non-smoking like so many others are and 2) if the breakfast was a bit healthier. But, thankfully, we weren't surrounded by smokers & the ones that did didn't seem to bother me too much (and I'm really sensitive to that).

Waterside features a free breakfast every morning, which my husband insisted that we take advantage of but if you're trying to watch your weight or eat healthy, beware. It was all delicious, fresh waffles were just the way I like them. The pre-made omelets tasted very fresh and there were english muffins & whole wheat bread available each day. There was also assorted cereal & instant oatmeal but only whole milk to make them with. There were plenty of muffins and donuts to tempt me as well as biscuits or grits every day & sausages. Fresh fruit was a bit scarce, though. There was always apples in a basket & sometimes they had apples that looked & tasted like they came straight from the tree. And a couple of times during our stay they put out canned tropical fruit salad and that was it. So, even though my husband (and the little ones all around us!) were in their glory, I personally found it hard to eat as healthy as I preferred. But if that's the worse thing I can say about this hotel, I think that's pretty good!

I chatted with the ladies in the office every morning & sometimes would land up chatting in the evening when I stopped off for something. They are the nicest, most helpful, most down to earth ladies I have ever met! Just lovely from the owner (I think her name is Donna?) all the way down to the housekeeping ladies who did such a nice job in our room.

Towels were plentiful & fluffy. The bathroom was spotless, as was the refrigerator (never looked at the microwave). The pool & surrounding area were also beautifully clean & the water a nice 85 degrees as promised. And the dock was so romantic during the chilly evenings that we sat out there! We even saw a shooting star on our first night.

I can't say enough good things about the Waterside Inn. Just go there & see for yourself! You'll fall in love with the island, the town and all the people. I wish we lived a bit closer so we could make the trip just for a weekend. But if I had a few days and I wanted to relax & unwind, I'd do it on Chincoteague Island and most certainly I'd go back to the Waterside Inn!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views but all rooms face the bay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WIChincoteague, Owner at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Your generous and highly detailed review of our Inn is greatly appreciated! From the sounds of it
you captured the essence of what we offer at the Waterside.... clean spacious rooms, friendly personal service, and the sights and sounds of nature. We hope you return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay.
Clean,friendly and exccellent service.
These business owners know what service is. Staff is well trained and supper friendly. Owners and staff take pride in what they are doing. Pool is set beside the bay which provides for beautiful veiws while relaxing. Pool is clean and well maintained as are the entire grounds,
dock to fish from And picnic tables out side to eat next to the bay too. roses around entire complex are goregeous. Breafast in lobby is well done as well. This ma and pa operation stands out. Kudos to Donna and her staff. Thanks for a
WONDERFUL and relaxing stay. We will be back. Robert and Carol

• Stayed August 2013
We thank you for your kind words and generous review. The private pier, which has been a flounder catching hot spot this summer, and heated waterfront pool, are amenities enjoyed by our guests daily. We take pride in our ma and pa business, and pleasing our guests is a priority!
Please come see us again in the near future!
Media, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Waterside was able to fit us in at the last minute, and I am so glad that we went. We had a third floor room- excellent views. Quiet on the deck. Nice pier to fish from, grills and picnic tables so we could bring a dinner back to the dock there. Pool was clean, with a nice waterfront location. The property is smaller, so it was not crowded in the pool or on the pier. Our room was clean, we will agree with the one reviewer that the ac units were loud, and they must use a hefty dose of febreze after they clean the rooms. Bathroom was spotless, two sinks, refrigerator and coffee pot were much appreciated and added to the value. Mattresses were firm, small loveseat and table with two chairs were also a nice addition. Everyone was very friendly. Could not believe the value - given these additions and a superb waterfront balcony. Breakfast consisted of hot belgian waffles, sausage and pre-cooked eggs which served its purpose. Everyone seemed to be eating and noone was fussing - it got our day started without having to rush out to a restaurant. And it is in direct view of the Wallops rocket launch pads. We will be returning.

Room Tip: Third floor is well worth the extra $10. Beautiful view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your Waterside Inn experience with other travelers. We hope that you can return in the near future. There are many scheduled upcoming rocket launches from nearby Wallops Island, and as you mentioned we have a premier viewing spot. Spaceflightnow.com has all the latest rocket launch info. Check it out, and then set up your next visit with us!
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at this hotel. We were very pleased. We had a room on the first floor which was fine. The view was great. We loved fishing on the private pier and the ducks at the deck by our room. The breakfast was ok... it's free. The rooms were clean and the roses bushes that surround the hotel were beautiful. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review and feedback about your recent stay with us.Fall is a pleasant time of year to visit . Our roses will be in full bloom still, plan a quick getaway and come enjoy the sights and smells! Hope to see you soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at this Family managed Inn. The staff was very nice and knowledgeable of things to do in the Island and restaurants. This Inn is good for a short stay. A positive suggestion the room would be more appealing without the bedspread. Breakfast was good. We loved the waffles. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your recent review. Customer service is very important to us. I will be sure to pass
along the positive feedback regarding your interaction with the staff. We hope that you will make plans for a return visit very soon!
Barrington, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here on a last minute vacation and weren't disappointed. The location is great and all the rooms appear to look over the water. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The outside of the building looks like all the other newer and pricier hotels along the strip and the pool is small but big enough for us and clean. Children loved the pier and caught lots of crabs and we also did some fishing. Only knock on the hotel is the rooms are a little outdated but ours was very clean.

• Stayed August 2013
We are happy to hear your family vacation was complete with a stay at the Waterside Inn! Adults and children alike have enjoyed crabbing off of our 220 feet private pier. The crabs have been plentiful this season. Our heated waterfront pool is known for being sparkling clean and is inviting day and night. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!
Hampton Roads, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had such high hopes for our one-night stay at this hotel, but unfortunately they were all but dashed by the time we checked out. Location of the hotel is good, it's right on the water and within walking distance to a few restaurants, cute little island shops, and bike rentals spots. Check-in was quick, and the two ladies that helped us were very friendly and professional. Our room was our first major disappointment, though. The room was damp (despite the low humidity outside) and smelled terribly of what we eventually decided was industrial cleaner. There were splatters of oily furniture polish on every surface. The furniture and decor was outdated and drab, the bedding worn and unclean looking. We didn't want to sit anywhere but out on the balcony, which was thankfully nice with a lovely view of the water. The clean pool was nice, too, with a water view through a chainlink fence and relatively comfortable, albeit worn out, deck furniture. When we did reluctantly return to the room to sleep, we left the balcony door open because of the smell, but between the very loud AC in our room, and the AC noise from outside, and the uncomfortable bed, it was not a restful night. After an underwhelming breakfast (it was free, so you do get what you pay for), we were eager to leave. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer toward the pool/water for an even more beautiful view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WIChincoteague, Owner at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We are sorry that you did not voice your concerns to the office staff. We would have done our best to accommodate you in a different room. The Waterside Inn is known for its location, clean guest rooms, sparkling large pool, and our friendly staff. With at least 20 rotating hot and cold breakfast items to choose from daily, most guests are impressed with the wide variety that is offered. Upon check out, the staff is required to ask guests how they enjoyed their stay. I wish we had been afforded the opportunity during your visit to address any issues and accommodate your needs. If you should return to the area in the future, hopefully the accommodations you choose will exceed your expectations.

Been to Waterside Inn? Share your experiences!