“The perfect hotel on Chincoteague Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7105 Maddox Boulevard, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336-2104 (Formerly Driftwood Motor Lodge)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Box Elder, South Dakota
“The perfect hotel on Chincoteague Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary this year and I have to say it is one of the BEST hotels I have ever stayed in. Every room either has a balcony or patio that overlooks the water between Chincoteague Island and Assateague Island. We had a great view of the Assateague Island Lighthouse. Our room was very large and comfortable and the location, even though it is on the main road, is very quiet. The breakfast was fabulous, lots of choices and even easy-to-use waffle irons that make delicious Belgian waffles. (If I'm saying they're easy-to-use then they are. I'm terrible in the kitchen.) The thing that REALLY stands out about this place is the staff. EVERY member of the staff that we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. Chincoteague is one of those places that we visit at least once a year and from now on we will only be staying at the Best Western.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
richmond, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

We have gone to Chincoteague for Labor Day every year since 2005. We have stayed here 3 times and it is by far our favorite lodging. We have stayed on the chanel and this year tried another local hotel, but will be back at the Best Western next year. The service is great, staff is friendly and the grounds are immaculate. The breakfast is very hearty for a continental breakfast and we love the location. It is easy to get to the wildlife loop, rent bikes across the street, or just hang out at the pool with a view of the lighthouse. The rooms are spacious and the fridge is a nice bonus. Since there is no food service on the refuge, it's great to have a fridge to keep sandwich fixings for the beach.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Boca Raton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Large clean room with balcony. Nice breakfast which you can take outside to eat. The location is great right near the bridge to the preserve. The people at the desk were very helpful. Be very careful, the speed limit all over the island is 25.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We stayed here for three nights and were totally blown away by the awesome staff, including everybody from people at desk to housekeeping. They communicated a strong desire to do everything in their power to make our stay perfect. The place was also beautifully maintained with strong evidence of pride in their lovely spot.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Of the dozens, maybe hundreds of hotels and motels I've stayed at that are parts of big chains, this must be the friendliest: I felt sure the staff must all be family, but they're not (I asked): it just feels that way, as if this were a small, locally owned place and had nothing to do with a big chain. The landscaping is really lovely around the front entrance and the pool. It's located within easy biking distance of the marvelous National Wildlife Refuge, right next door to one of the better restaurants in the area, and next door also on the other side to the Maritime Museum, which really is surprisingly good (and a good cheap option if the weather's bad). Breakfast is the only element that reminded us of a typical chain--plenty of options, just none of them great. We've stayed at about half a dozen hotels on the island, and this is the one we'll surely return to every time from now on. In fact, we'll probably make extra trips to Chincoteague now that we've found it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

Chincoteague is a small place, (every one knows everyone kind of a place), it has only two main roads, the Main st and Maddox. This hotel is on Maddox, very close to Assateague. Next premise of this hotel is the Oyster Maritime museum, if that is on your trip plan. We had a very good stay, very clean spacious room, excellent breakfast, very helpful staff. We were lucky to get a good "summer sizzle" deal and got a cheap rate from their website. The Hampton hotel does look more grand from outside, it has the back water view and beautiful sunset view. But when we were visiting Chincoteague the room rate difference was almost double.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
DC/NoVa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Just returned from what was supposed to be a beach week in Chincoteague / Assateague. Unfortunately, it rained every day, and for all or most of each day... (sigh). The only thing that saved the trip was the friendliness and great service from the folks at the Best Western. This hotel has the best location on the island; literally a stone's throw from the entrance to the National Park / Wildlife Refuge. Most (if not all) of the rooms have lovely views of the lighthouse. The BW provides a decent value for the money: the rooms are clean and modern, with flat screen TVs and new bathroom fixtures, and the free breakfast is ample, although not gourmet. Upon my discovery that my room fridge had no freezer, the hotel staff were more than happy to store my cold packs in their fridge and to fetch them for me each day at my request. And to make the breakfast room microwave available for everyone's use, 24/7. When I reported a minor problem with one of the sinks, the staff was solicitous and responsive. The sink was fixed immediately, and I received a nice note and some chocolates as an apology. The only thing I can take issue with is that the construction of the building seemed flimsy; I could hear the footsteps of the person(s) immediately above me at all hours. Alas, the inhospitable weather meant that I was unable to partake of the hotel's pool, rental bikes, etc., so I am unable to comment about them. But I do plan to return to Chincoteague (in better weather!), and I will definitely stay at the BW again. Stay tuned for another review!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island? Share your experiences!