“Great hotel, great location, watch your speed!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7105 Maddox Boulevard, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336-2104 (Formerly Driftwood Motor Lodge)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Boca Raton
“Great hotel, great location, watch your speed!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Large clean room with balcony. Nice breakfast which you can take outside to eat. The location is great right near the bridge to the preserve. The people at the desk were very helpful. Be very careful, the speed limit all over the island is 25.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We stayed here for three nights and were totally blown away by the awesome staff, including everybody from people at desk to housekeeping. They communicated a strong desire to do everything in their power to make our stay perfect. The place was also beautifully maintained with strong evidence of pride in their lovely spot.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Of the dozens, maybe hundreds of hotels and motels I've stayed at that are parts of big chains, this must be the friendliest: I felt sure the staff must all be family, but they're not (I asked): it just feels that way, as if this were a small, locally owned place and had nothing to do with a big chain. The landscaping is really lovely around the front entrance and the pool. It's located within easy biking distance of the marvelous National Wildlife Refuge, right next door to one of the better restaurants in the area, and next door also on the other side to the Maritime Museum, which really is surprisingly good (and a good cheap option if the weather's bad). Breakfast is the only element that reminded us of a typical chain--plenty of options, just none of them great. We've stayed at about half a dozen hotels on the island, and this is the one we'll surely return to every time from now on. In fact, we'll probably make extra trips to Chincoteague now that we've found it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

Chincoteague is a small place, (every one knows everyone kind of a place), it has only two main roads, the Main st and Maddox. This hotel is on Maddox, very close to Assateague. Next premise of this hotel is the Oyster Maritime museum, if that is on your trip plan. We had a very good stay, very clean spacious room, excellent breakfast, very helpful staff. We were lucky to get a good "summer sizzle" deal and got a cheap rate from their website. The Hampton hotel does look more grand from outside, it has the back water view and beautiful sunset view. But when we were visiting Chincoteague the room rate difference was almost double.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
DC/NoVa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Just returned from what was supposed to be a beach week in Chincoteague / Assateague. Unfortunately, it rained every day, and for all or most of each day... (sigh). The only thing that saved the trip was the friendliness and great service from the folks at the Best Western. This hotel has the best location on the island; literally a stone's throw from the entrance to the National Park / Wildlife Refuge. Most (if not all) of the rooms have lovely views of the lighthouse. The BW provides a decent value for the money: the rooms are clean and modern, with flat screen TVs and new bathroom fixtures, and the free breakfast is ample, although not gourmet. Upon my discovery that my room fridge had no freezer, the hotel staff were more than happy to store my cold packs in their fridge and to fetch them for me each day at my request. And to make the breakfast room microwave available for everyone's use, 24/7. When I reported a minor problem with one of the sinks, the staff was solicitous and responsive. The sink was fixed immediately, and I received a nice note and some chocolates as an apology. The only thing I can take issue with is that the construction of the building seemed flimsy; I could hear the footsteps of the person(s) immediately above me at all hours. Alas, the inhospitable weather meant that I was unable to partake of the hotel's pool, rental bikes, etc., so I am unable to comment about them. But I do plan to return to Chincoteague (in better weather!), and I will definitely stay at the BW again. Stay tuned for another review!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Bucks County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Western for 5 days. We have been to the island before but not at this hotel. It was a great experience. From the friendly staff to the comfortable beds, overall, a terrific hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

This hotel is wonderful. If I stay at a chain hotel it is usually Hilton or Marriott. I had never stayed at a Best Western before until I stayed here. I enjoyed every minute I spent at this hotel. The location is great. It is the closest hotel to Assateague where the beach and ponies are. They have bike rentals and games out back. The pool area is nice and beautifully decorated with flowers. The morning breakfast is good. I had booked 3 nights called down there before I went and changed it to 2 nights. While there I decided to change back to 3 nights and it was no problem. The ladies at the front desk are very nice. I was always greeted by name weather I was stopping to talk to them or just in passing. The only problems I had were the bathroom door knob was hard to turn and I could hear the people above me walking and slamming their door to the balcony and that is picking. It was truly a great place to stay. I highly recommend the Best Western.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Chincoteague Island? Share your experiences!