“Glad I chose The Refuge Inn” 5 of 5 stars

7058 Maddox Blvd, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336 (Formerly Refuge Motor Inn)   |
Special Offer
10% off your room rate!
Coppell
“Glad I chose The Refuge Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed 5 days and enjoyed the stay very much. I had a first floor room that overlooked a back yard of pine trees. A lone seagull joined me each morning on the patio while I had breakfast provided by the Inn. The staff was very helpful to the point they let me use their office computer so I could check in at the airport and print out my boarding passes. I emailed them back in July after I had made my reservation for some names of island cruses. I chose one they recommened and the cruse was fantastic. I recommend an island cruse right away to get a great history of this beautiful island.

Room Tip: Any type of room should be good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Glen Allen, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having done a lot of research on hotels, condos and cottages in Chincoteague we decided the Refuge Inn best fit our needs. From the moment of check in when the receptionist juggled the rooms to allocate us a king bedded room on the second floor overlooking the pine trees, rather than a first floor room overlooking the parking lot, we were well pleased with our choice. With all the amenities of a much higher priced chain hotel without the exorbitant price, the Refuge Inn has character and personality. The owners very obviously take great pride in their business and it shows. Six nights flew by all too quickly, and we will miss the friendly, super helpful staff, the ponies who greet us as we pull into the parking lot, the delicious breakfasts with the cheerful ladies who ensure that everyone is happy, the lovely pool with its tropical plants, and the newly landscaped beds along the walkway. Be aware that there is no elevator, but an obliging young man was summoned to help us unload our car and carry the luggage up the indoor stairs to our room. The decor varies from room to room - I think ours was "shabby chic", but it was spacious, clean and contained everything we needed for nearly a week's stay. We hope to return.

Room Tip: If you don't want to look out onto parked cars ask for a room on the pool side of the Inn.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've booked many rooms for our vacations on the internet and always found that the accommodations didn't live up to the descriptions. The Refuge Inn however was far from a disappointment. It was better than I expected in every way. The location was perfect, the staff was friendly and helpful and the room was delightful. We had a Deluxe King room that was spacious, nicely furnished and reasonably priced. It was very comfortable. Our private balcony faced the pony corral. The Inn offered many amenities including a continental breakfast. I'm very glad I chose the Refuge Inn over another motel I was considering.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

First-time customer for a long weekend after Labor Day. We not be staying anywhere else going forward. We had a nice, quiet and relaxing visit and the location was perfect. The only bad part was the mosquitoes, but that was not anything under their control. Perfect place for families or couples to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Leola, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

First time staying here,highly recommended,have Spa pool outside upper deck,close to everything,breakfast was contanental ,yesterday was eggs today had them making waffles.Will be back next time there.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 136 in back no rooms above us.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kittanning, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My family's first "mini" vacation with our 4 and 6 year old was spent at Chincoteage Island, calling The Refuge Inn "home" for a few days. After my father's death a month prior, I needed a place of refuge and The Refuge Inn certainly delivered. The staff was incredible, accommodating and friendly. The grounds and the room were very clean and lacked the typical sticky, moist and mildewy smell and feel of most beach hotels. My kids couldn't decide if they liked the beach or the delightfully simple and uncrowded pool better! The breakfast had something for everyone (and we are vegetarians!) and even my picky daughter had ample choices that were healthy AND kid-friendly. My husband's family used to stay here when he was a kid, so the feeling of familiarity and carrying on tradition was special for us and he said the updates completed since he was last there were wonderfully done. Can't wait to return! My thanks to the staff for taking hospitality seriously!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed at the Refuge Inn on Labor day weekend - great location, quaint atmosphere and friendly staff. We were pleasantly surprised how nice the rooms were -spacious, clean and fairly modern. Bathroom is on the small side but nice. Has coffee pot/counter area and small refrigerator. We were on the second floor - which is nice and quiet, but it is all stairs to lug your suitcases up. The downstairs units have the sliding doors right out to a patio - which is out to parking lot so would be much easier for packing/unpacking car. As far as view - there really is not much to see other than the pony pen - which is one side of the building, which could be seen from just about any room, and the other side of the buiding is just a wooded lot. The entire property is smoke free - but you can walk across by the pony pen and sit at one of the picnic tables.
Continental breakfast daily - your basic breads, cereal, coffees/tea - and one hot choice each morning - french toast, waffle and scrambled eggs were the choices when we were there. The wait staff was very friendly and accommodating - even provide trays if you prefer to dine in your room.
The propery sits just outside the Refuge/Asseteague park entrances - easy bike or scooter ride - or less than 5 minute drive in a car. We preferred this end of the island to up by the Main street - as with all the cars and people over the weekend we really didnt have to deal with it. There are multiple places to pick up sundries and supplies within walking distance, a few places to eat, a gas station and a small cafe with a bar right across the street.

Room Tip: Not much views from any room other than the pony pen....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Refuge Inn? Share your experiences!