“Nice, quiet motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Birchwood Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Birchwood Motel
You added Birchwood Motel to your Saves list
1.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   3650 Main St, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice, quiet motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in the middle of the week. It's a nice, quiet motel with a veranda that goes around the length of it, so that each room opens to a little sitting area in front--a pleasant place to have coffee in the morning. The room was spotless, equipped with cable TV, a refrigerator and a microwave, and the bed was comfortable. They provided plenty of clean towels. They serve a continental breakfast in the morning, but mostly pastries and cereal -- no fruit or toast. The front desk person, Rick, was super helpful as well.

My only complaint is that it was a little far from the downtown area-- even the two closest restaurants, the Chincoteague Inn and Don's Seafood, are a little bit of a hike. However, we did walk home every night, anyway, so it didn't affect us too much. Also, there is a trolley that runs right in front of the motel starting at 5:00 pm that will take you around the island for 25 cents! You can't beat that.

Overall, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: You can see the water, which is across the street, from the rooms along the long side of the buildin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Older motel with rooms that need updating. The carpeting and bed spreads were filthy. The room smelled awful like mold and the wall near the front door was badly deformed from water. The steps and parking lot were flaking apart. Pool was nice aside from the ring of filth around the edge. Very nice dock across the street.

• Stayed August 2012
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for a weekend for our anniversary! We could not be happier! Jeanne and Rick (motel owners) were hospitable and helpful. The rooms were typical mom and pop rooms but they had a refrigerator, microwave and coffe maker in them which some of the bigger motels do not have. The rooms were clean! I read another persons review about the area being noisey, there is no way. We stayed around the same time right after them and did not find it to be noisy at all. They also wrote they had money stolen, I do not believe that either. Both owners were friendly and sweet and went out of their way to make you feel at home. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone and will be visiting soon.

Stephanie and Rick K.
Bucks, PA

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Martinsville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband, my 85 year old mother-in-law, and I stayed here just recently. The owners were nice to us but not smiling a lot. The rooms were not as clean as I like but tolerable. Noisy area. BUT, we had $300 of cash money missing out of our room while I was at the pool & rest of family gone fishing on Wednesday of this week. It took us several hours to realize the money was missing from our luggage & we had only ask for fresh towels, as we do not allow our rooms to be cleaned daily when we stay at places. We were shocked but we searched EVERYTHING & by the time we realized it was really gone, it was late and we decided to wait until the next morning when we left to tell the front desk. When we left at 8:30 am, the front desk was not lit up as if open. So, we travel back home, over 8 hours, and unpacked and went to bed. Friday morning first thing I called. I was nice & not accusing but wanted to inform them of the missing money. Told I would get a call back. When I got home from work, had message that I needed to look through my pockets as the cleaning service said they didn't have time to ramble through luggage!!! Had 37 rooms to clean that day. REALLY!!!! I didn't see 37 cars parked in the area for several days!!! Was told they had NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS. Well, they just became owners in the past 2 years!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed for one night and found our hosts very accommodating. The room worked well for our family of five with three young children. This was a great value for us!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Basic, budget accommodation. Not cheap but reasonable compared to others in the area. The desk clerk was helpful and polite.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We spend one night over the Easter weekend here and liked the place. The owner of the place was very nice and friendly. They offered many recommendations of places to visit and eat.
The room is pretty big and very clean. I liked the fact that there is an additional sink outside of the bathroom. It really helps when we have a family of four. The bed was comfortable. The only downside is that the air conditioner/heat and the fridge is pretty loud. So, I put the AC on Energy Saver mode and unplugged the fridge. The motel is located across the street from the bay where there is a fishing pier extending into the bay.
The breakfast room is fairly small, just a few seats to sit, no tables. The breakfast consist mostly danish, cereal, and instant oatmeal and grits. The coffee was good.
Since we mentioned we'd come back later for lunch, the owner offered us to keep the room in case we need to use it later. We didn't need it. But it was very nice for him to offer.
I'd definitely recommend the motel to my friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Birchwood Motel? Share your experiences!