“Wish I could be nicer” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Anchor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Anchor Inn
You added Anchor Inn to your Saves list
3791 South Main St, Chincoteague Island, VA 23336   |
York, PA
“Wish I could be nicer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We made reservations about a month before arriving. We asked for a 2nd floor room and two beds. The lady that made the reservation was very nice. We were given a higher rate at the time because it was supposed to be a better room. When we arrived we were told it was a king room and on the lower floor. I was there with my sister and we wanted two beds just as we had reserved. We were told that our original room was given away just an hour before. We were told to come back because the owner was not there at the time. So we took off and started to check out the limited amount of motels on the island. Everything was full and we started to panic, A five hour drive and now this! She (Anchor Inn)called us and said they found something for us. It was the tower retreat room. It didn't have two beds but did have a pull out couch. I thought we could do this. We checked it out and I will say it was very clean and very nice. The problem was we were looking forward to a balcony room, which this didn't have. If it was winter it would have been fine but in summer we enjoy being outside on a balcony. So we didn't take the room. Lucky for us we found another resort down the road with everything we wanted. I would try to stay here in the future and do appreciate that they tried to fix things but please if you change the room on the customer you should contact them and see if it is okay with them first.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Glen Allen, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

2013 was third trip to the Anchor Inn and as always we had a great experience. Enjoyed being with our kids and grand kids at the pool. Look on my grandson's face when his Dad caught a small shark at the end of the crabbing pier was priceless. Gram and #1 Grandson playing games in the room. Carolyn and staff do an excellent job with the breakfast. The light show Mother Nature put on was an added bonus.
Kudos to Tammy who kept us neat. Also she found a pony doll that my granddaughter dropped and brought it to us from their room.
You won't go wrong with Anchor Inn. Within walking distance to downtown Chincoteague and Muller's for ice cream. Raising the flag at the Coast Guard station next door. All these experiences make for a great time there.

Room Tip: Second floor gives better views of the Channel and Sound.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I've traveled all over the world and what you always hope is that the place you stay fits in with the experience your looking for. Well this place captured the spirit of the island perfectly. Nice clean simple rooms, super friendly staff, and a view to die for. I would high recommend to Anyone!

• Stayed July 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The owners and employees are the nicest I have ever met. The hotel room is clean and nicely decorated. The balcony makes the hotel. We sat out every evening watching the fishing boats come in and the sun set. They have a little fishing building that houses a stove, large refrigerator and fish cleaning station. If you book at the Anchor Inn, you can moor your boat there and take your trailer across the street into a locked area. We have already booked for 2014.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jefferson, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

This is the 5th year we stayed here and it continues to be our favorite place. The owners & staff are friendly & accommodating, breakfast is excellent, you have beautiful sunset views every day and there are several restaurants nearby. Our favorite room is 125 which is an efficiency: 4-burner stove with over (small), full-size refrigerator, sink, and all the utensils & dishware you need.

• Stayed May 2013
East Windsor, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We enjoyed it very much. Located on the bay and nice view of the water.Breakfast is decent.Plumbing can be a little quieter between rooms.The next room took a shower at 11 pm and it sounded like niagra falls for half an hour.

Room Tip: go for bay end
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Union, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I purchased a bushel of cooked crabs, placed them in my room in a closed cooler. When I returned later I found that they had opened my closed cooler and placed a garbage bag over the box of crabs along with a note from management to remove the crabs from my room. I found out later that about half the box of crabs was missing. I called the office and was told they would not take any action for the missing items. I was also told by the owner, at that time, that guests are not allowed to eat crabs or store seafood in the efficiency because of the smell. I would like to point out, that there is a note above the sink that states the crabs cannot be COOKED in the efficiency but no mention of not being able to eat cooked seafood in the efficiency. They wanted me to put the bushel of cooked crabs in a community Crab/Picnic House where everyone had access to it. I was not about to put the crabs I purchased for $75 in a community area. Besides they only had a freezer there. The crabs were cooked and ready to be eaten, not to be frozen. I thought my purchase would have been safe in my locked efficiency, not to find half of the box missing. I go on vacation to relax, not to constantly be on guard.

What is the reason for vacationers to come to Chincoteague other than for seafood and beaches?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Anchor Inn? Share your experiences!