“Great time on the water in Chincoteague Island, VA and worth every cent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spider's Explorer

Spider's Explorer
3860 Main Street, Docking: 3801 South Main Street (between the Anchor Inn and the U.S. Coast Guard), Chincoteague Island, VA 23336
757.990.4242 or 757.336.0611
Improve this listing
Socorro, New Mexico
“Great time on the water in Chincoteague Island, VA and worth every cent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I would highly recommend taking a tour with Spider on his boat in Chincoteague Island, VA. We went for a sunset "cruise" in early May and it was MAGICAL! Spider knew just where to go to see the famed Chincoteague Ponies and their foal, Eastern bottle-nosed dolphins, a lighthouse, crab and oyster beds, beautiful country, etc, etc! During the two-hour tour, we learned a lot from Spider about the area, its history, the current businesses (clamming, fishing, oyster beds, etc), the animals, and the environment.

We just happened onto this tour and Spider, but we would definitely choose to go with him again in the future. One plus with Spider is that he only takes 6 people at a time on his boat, so you get a much more personal tour, and he asks what you want to see and then makes every effort to fulfill your wishes. As I said before, it was a magical evening!

Visited May 2012

New York
“Choose Spiders!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We were lucky enough to choose Spider's Explorer for our tour of Chincoteague and Assateague. Spider took us out on a beautiful night in April - it was quiet in town, so it was only my husband and I on the sunset cruise. Spider let us bring snacks and beverages aboard. He was great - so knowledgeable and friendly, but it didn't feel like a "formal" tour - he provided interesting tidbits on the island but most of the time let us just take in the sights and chat. I wasn't sure if we would actually find any ponies but he went out of his way to ensure we saw plenty - something I had wanted to see since reading Misty years and years ago.The sunset was absolutely stunning. I can't say enough about our tour with Spiders - it was perfect!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My inn recommended going with this guide or Spider and we admit we were a bit disappointed with our choice. I was expecting more of a narrative to accompany this trip. We often cruised in silence, especially in the beginning, when we hoped to get an introduction to the area and hear more about the history. We had about 20 people on our boat and the captain walked among the group and took individual questions. Perhaps it was simply too big to do it any other way. Now, things did get very entertaining when Bob Fears left the wheel and began to tell a few stories, while we were stopped to look at wildlife, and we enjoyed that. Still, we might have got more bang for the buck on one of the smaller boat tours like Spider or Dan and went all the way around the island. This cruise went up from the southeast of the island to the refuge bridge and back.

Visited May 2012
Baltimore
“Worth every penny - Sunset cruise is stunning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The most intimate and true way to see the beauty of this island is from the water. Spider took our family and friends on the sunset cruise around the island. In the 2-hour trip we learned about local culture, the business of clamming & fishing, environmental impacts of regional politics, history and fun tidbits - all in a wonderful conversation with our captain. He knows the waterways well and took him time making sure our daughters saw amazing things. Highlight of our tour - seeing a newborn foal unsteady on their legs enjoying the seashore with the mama pony, bald eagle and many other waterbirds and then as we made our way around the last bend - the stunning sunset over the water. WOW!!

If you do go in the evening, bring a jacket. It was an April tour for us but I imagine it gets gusty and chilly as the sun goes down throughout the spring.

McLean, Virginia, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Great tour by a great guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Spider took my daughter and I on a fabulous 2-hour tour of Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. He is a wonderful guide -- both personable and knowledgeable . . . and we saw so many wild ponies! I have literally wanted to see wild ponies ever since I was a little girl, and this tour fulfilled my childhood fantasies!