“Unfortunately small portions and undeserved prices.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
“Unfortunately small portions and undeserved prices.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife, friends, and I were curious about this restaurant as we have been vacationing here the last 2 years. We love trying new places, but unfortunately we were all dissapointed by this one. First of all, the prices would be a little high even if the meals were large, but they were quite small portions. Three meals and two sides costed us over $50.00, and after finishing everything we had to order pizza from Famous Pizza to fill up.

As for the flavor of the food, which in my opinion is what matters most, some meals were good and some were not. They ask you how spicy you want your curry (chicken curry) based on a 1-10 scale; we picked 7. It was so spicy (which some people would like) that we could not taste anything but spice. There was little to no actual curry flavor. Our other meal was the assorted BBQ which had very good flavor, but again very small portion for the $14.00+ price tag. We also ordered pork spring rolls and the wontons. They were both good, but not good enough to redeem the rest of the meal.

If you are eating at the restaurant, the inside is definitely a "hole in the wall" feel. There is a table or two outside to eat, but you are right next to the road. It is a very small restaurant.

On a side note, we would recommend going for lunch and getting the lunch specials if you are going to try this place. They are over $4.00 cheaper per meal, and I can't imagine the portions getting any smaller.

Overall, we probably will not be eating here again unfortunately.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Talking Rock, Georgia
“Saigon Village: Quiet, Pleasant, Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Saigon Village was where my wife and I had our first Chincoteague Island dinner, and it was a relaxing and pleasant experience. We shared varieties of spring roll with each other -- very tasty and hot (temperature, not spice). We also each ordered pho of different varieties, and the soup, noodles, vegetables and meat were very nice. For those who naturally expect their Vietnamese soup to be spicy, please note that you have to specifically order one in the "hot and spicy" style. Ours were flavorful but very mild. They offer indoor and outdoor dining; we dined in, and I think I'd like to make sure I'm sufficiently mosquito-repellent to try dining outside next time. Also, if you need to make a potty stop, there's not one in the restaurant, but a nice municipal facility across the street.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
CI
“I live here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011 via mobile

It took the Chinese restaurant burning down earlier this year to get me here. My first visit was so-so. My second, not so great. Our dinners were $13 each. Small servings though the flavor was okay. My bbq pork was two small flattened cutlets atop rice and shredded lettece and carrots on the side. For a total bill of $31, I was not impresses. For that much, the Chinese joint would have given me left overs for two days. Here's the clencher, my card wouldn't go through (later to find someone had stolen my number and the bank froze it) and the girl said loud enough for all in the room to hear, "Your card has no money. It's no good.". I used another and a thank you I never heard. Her mother came over and they spoke only in Vietnamese. Not what you do. Their English is perfectly clear. Won't be back and we'll go off the Island if we want Oriental food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reisterstown, Maryland
“This place is my favorite place to eat on the island, fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

You must try this cute little restaurant! I guarantee you will be impressed. One of the few places to get vegan/vegetarian fare without all the hassle.

• Visited October 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Super spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011 via mobile

Wonderful food-great value. The vegetable and seafood soup is stocked filled with fresh goodness. The Thai coffee is perfect. Byob. Perfect spot.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere