“The place to be in the off season!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Hiking, Viewing wildlife, Birdwatching
More attraction details
Owner description: Uncrowded wildlife refuge managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
Burlington, NJ
53 attraction reviews
“The place to be in the off season!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

You'll truly enjoy the walks, the beaches and the wildlife at this refuge. The end of October and beginning of November brings the snow geese - and you'll see a sight you've never seen before when you see them upon Swans Cove and Snow Goose Pool. The weather is pleasant enough to really enjoy all that the parks have to offer.

Hampton Roads, Virginia
40 attraction reviews
“Take the Chincoteague Natural History Association tour in the reserve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

We took the Chincoteague Natural History Association 2 hour tour with our older parents and we loved it. You ride a small air conditioned bus through the reserve to places that regular visitors cannot access or are not accessible by car. We saw a lot of wildlife including the wild ponies. In fact, the ponies were about 2 feet from the bus! The great thing is you are protected from the many mosquitoes. The tour guide told us about the reserve, the island, the wildlife and would stop and even back up if we saw some interesting wildlife. The tour has room for 30 people and cost $12. It is not very well advertised and most people seem to not know about it. I only learned of it by seeing an ad in one of the local magazines. You can buy tickets at the refuge visitor's center. We went in October and they only had 5 tickets left about 1/2 hour before the tour started so get your tickets early! Bring your camera and binoculars.

herndon, va
43 attraction reviews
“beautiful hikes & neat beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

definitely try a few of the hikes. (cover yourself with avon's "skin so soft" mosquito repellent wipes first.) the trails are very pretty and secluded (and are easy).

the beach is neat.

horses are most often found (at least in my limited experience) a bit after the park entrance... on the straight stretch... looking off to your right... just before turning right toward the lighthouse. see this link for a helpful map (http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/upload/VAtrailmap2009a.pdf)

Buffalo, New York
“Don't bother if you want to see wild horses”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

My family went very far out of our way to see the famous wild horses. Apparently this is herculean feat. All we saw were a handful of corraled horses. A major bust and dissapointment to our kids. Oh, and days after going on one of the trails, we're still scratching the bug bites and we used bug spray with deet, to no apparent avail!!!

Alexandria, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Unbelievalbe skeeters!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

I have one word for future travelers to Chincoteague: DEET!!!!! Do not leave home without it. Now during the winter time I suppose it isn't necessary, but I was just at Chincoteague 2 weeks ago and the mosquitoes were still UNBELIEVABLY bloodthirsty!!!!

I've seen big skeeters in Texas, but never in swarms like this and never so ferocious. I had been warned so I was prepared with lots of bug spray and insect repellant wipes, but I still went out and bought a long sleeve shirt once I got there and saw what I was dealing with. And thank goodness I did!!!! Without being completely covered in clothing and repellant I am certain the skeeters would have sucked all my blood then carried off my carcass.

Other than the nasty mosquitoes, the refuge is a pleasant place to see some wildlife and there is a very nice visitors' center there as well. The nearby seashore is clean and I found it the perfect place to relax after my day at the refuge.