“Average - below average if you don't like cigarette smoke” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Chester
Ottawa, Canada
“Average - below average if you don't like cigarette smoke”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Good location, lots of free parking and close to the highway - but not so close that you hear it. The lobby and breakfast area is small but functional. I stayed on the third floor by the elevators in a non-smoking room. The first thing you notice when stepping out of the elevator is the strong odor of old cigarette smoke.

It's like walking into a well-used bar. The room itself was clean and large with two queen beds, a desk, TV and a good sized bathroom. Only problem was the non-smoking room still smelled of cigarettes though not nearly as bad. There was an ashtray in the room which led me to believe they don't really have any non-smoking rooms.

The hotel was quiet at night and the breakfast was probably the most basic I've ever seen. Toast, cereal and pastries was about it.

I doubt I'd stay here again but if this is all that was available, one night wouldn't hurt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
QualityInn340, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I would like to personally apologize for the unfortunate strong odor of old cigarette smoke that you experienced during your stay with us. We have just finished our renovation project in the hotel lobby, and now, will start renovations into our guest’s rooms. I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel smoking policies. We ask that you give us another opportunity to better host you at our property, and once again, thank you for your positive comments!

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The place had a horrible smell of cleaning chemicals. My kid was actually complaining of headaches and I wouldn't be surprised it was the smell!

That free breakfast was pretty bad too. Stiffest bread ever!

I wish I could give this place a zero rating, because getting a 1/5 shows they tried. They don't try. Staff is horrible!

Room Tip: Find a better hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests, thank you for your review. I would like to personally apologize for this unfortunate incident that you experienced during your stay with us. I was disappointed to hear you felt the carpet had a heavy odor. We are currently in the process of an extensive guest room renovation; new carpeting, wall coverings and accessories are all underway.

We ask that you give us another opportunity to better host you at our property, on our dime! I would invite you to contact me personally at 804-796-5200 to discuss this with you further. (email is aamayzingg@gmail.com)
Binghamton, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We checked in at 2AM hoping to sleep til 8AM and then get back on the road for the rest of our trip. At 5:30AM, we awoke to an alarm that stopped after a couple of minutes. We fell back to sleep, only to be startled out of sleep again at 5:50AM, by the same alarm. We discovered it was the smoke/CO2 detector. The night desk clerk was friendly and helpful, removing the alarm and offering us another room. We declined since we were planning to be up and about by 8AM. The night clerk mentioned that she would not charge for the room for the inconvenience. I thought, this is a great place to stay! But, NO! Not only was a charged for the room, an additional $20 was also charged. Then a $10 credit to my card. I have been on vacation and on the phone with Choice Hotels and this property numerous times. There is never a manager or anyone in charge. I am dealing with front desk clerks who obviously do not care about customer service. Now the Assistant General Manager alleges that there has been a $30 credit processed for my "inconvenience". Crazy. If you dont mind being over charged and have a defective smoke/CO2 detector jolt you from a deep sleep, then, by all means stop here for no rest and inappropriate credit card charges. If you prefer drama free lodging, skip this property and stay at any number of other options in this neighborhood. I should note that Corporate Choice Hotels Customer Service was not able to do much to influence the outcome at the location, but did offer to send discount coupons to defray the cost of this ridiculous situation. Little consolation for mistreatment of a guest, but better than nothing I guess.

Room Tip: Just choose another hotel all together.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We have always believed that travelling is a stressful endeavor, and if we are able to provide customer service that would lessen some of that stress, then we are on the right track. I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies. My front staff has been re-trained on how to handle inappropriate credit card charges! We ask that you give us another opportunity to better host you at our property, and once again, I do apologize for your experience.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked 10 days in advance directly with choice hotels, of which I am a Choice Privileges Member. I advised it would be a late arrival and guaranteed the room with a credit card. When I arrived at the hotel exhausted at 12:30 AM with three children in tow after 7 hours on the road, I was told that they had overbooked the hotel and bumped me to a nearby sister hotel, a Suburban Suites where I would be treated very well. It happens, and I took it in stride. I was just looking forward to some sleep in a clean room, but soon found myself in a hotel I never would have stayed at were it not by then 12:45 am. I will post that hotel review seperately (Suburban Suites Extended stay)YUK! The kicker here is that they put me in a hotel that did not include breakfast or a pool, was pretty gross, and tried to charge me the same rate that I had been booked at. I complained and they finally discounted me. Poor, poor management and policy-poor treatment. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Overbooked and bumped me to a dump for the same price even though I guaranteed the room and am a Cho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
QualityInn340, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding our hotel management on your past visit. I have looked into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies. I have shared your feedback with all my management staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. We will soon be completing an extensive guest room renovation, inclusive of new carpeting, wall coverings and accessories. Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Chester.
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Where do I start? We asked for a none smoking room. The room they gave us had a very bad smell of smoke in it so we ask to be moved and they did. The next room they gave us had a air filter machine running in it to mask the smell in it. It said no smoking on the bed with a little sign but ash trays were present in both rooms. ???? That night my wife noticed that the door safety lock was missing on the door. I could tell it had been ripped out. This made us fill very unsafe that night. The bath room door would not close all the way due to dragging on the floor. The bath room light shade over the sink had a large baseball size hole broken out in it with the bulb conection partly showing. There was mold on the tub and the cover for the tub valve was broken. There was a dead bug on the cealing over the tv. On check in we were no given sheets for the pull out even though we said we were going to use it. When I took all this information to the asst. manager he told me they had cut back to one service person. I advised him that was not working for them. We were there for a church conference in the area with several pastors there. I told the manager I would see to it that we as a group would not stay there again. He offered to take 10% off my bill but did not do so at check out. Lots of truck noise all night long and my wife could not sleep due to it. I called choice hotels and advised them of this. A lot more I could list but I think you can get the picture.Hope this helps someone. Pastor Larry Lane Portsmouth Va.

Room Tip: no way to get away from truck noise!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete the online review regarding your stay at our hotel. Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding our hotel management on your past visit. I have shared your feedback with all my management staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. We will soon be completing an extensive guest room renovation, inclusive of new carpeting, wall coverings and accessories so I think this will exclude the carpet that had a heavy odor. We ask that you give us another opportunity to better host you at our property, at a 25% discounted offer. I invite you to contact me personally at 804-796-5200 to discuss this with you further.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Although the staff was very pleasant, we spent most of our overnight stay hearing trucks and other vehicles from the nearby interstate/highways. My other complaint was the breakfast - not the food but all the truckers hogging the area (we walked in at 6 A.M. ready to eat and hit the road). The tables are joined together by twos or threes. Unfortunately, it was common to see one trucker sitting at the middle table, occupying all the joined tables. The only place we could find to sit down was at the computer table, trying hard not to get any food or drink on the keyboard. Also, some of their conversations were a little spicy. Keep this in mind if you like to eat early.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask if your room is near the interstate/highways
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests, Thank you for taking the time review our Quality Inn with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.
We are looking forward to providing you the same pleasant accommodations and service the next time you are in town! :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

The hotel that I was originally headed for was over booked, so when I ended up at the Quality Inn I didnt have very high expectations. But, I was very pleasantly surprised. My sons loved the indoor pool, the king suite was perfect for us, and the hot breakfast was fantastic! I would definitely suggest this property to families with small children.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Please accept a huge thank you from all of us here at the Quality Inn! We were so happy to hear you had such a great experience. It means the world to us to hear when we have had a success. All comments are worth reading and learning from, [especially the the good ones :) ] Thank you again and we hope to see you again!

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!