“Over-charged & horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Chester
Binghamton, New York
“Over-charged & horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We checked in at 2AM hoping to sleep til 8AM and then get back on the road for the rest of our trip. At 5:30AM, we awoke to an alarm that stopped after a couple of minutes. We fell back to sleep, only to be startled out of sleep again at 5:50AM, by the same alarm. We discovered it was the smoke/CO2 detector. The night desk clerk was friendly and helpful, removing the alarm and offering us another room. We declined since we were planning to be up and about by 8AM. The night clerk mentioned that she would not charge for the room for the inconvenience. I thought, this is a great place to stay! But, NO! Not only was a charged for the room, an additional $20 was also charged. Then a $10 credit to my card. I have been on vacation and on the phone with Choice Hotels and this property numerous times. There is never a manager or anyone in charge. I am dealing with front desk clerks who obviously do not care about customer service. Now the Assistant General Manager alleges that there has been a $30 credit processed for my "inconvenience". Crazy. If you dont mind being over charged and have a defective smoke/CO2 detector jolt you from a deep sleep, then, by all means stop here for no rest and inappropriate credit card charges. If you prefer drama free lodging, skip this property and stay at any number of other options in this neighborhood. I should note that Corporate Choice Hotels Customer Service was not able to do much to influence the outcome at the location, but did offer to send discount coupons to defray the cost of this ridiculous situation. Little consolation for mistreatment of a guest, but better than nothing I guess.

Room Tip: Just choose another hotel all together.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
QualityInn340, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We have always believed that travelling is a stressful endeavor, and if we are able to provide customer service that would lessen some of that stress, then we are on the right track. I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies. My front staff has been re-trained on how to handle inappropriate credit card charges! We ask that you give us another opportunity to better host you at our property, and once again, I do apologize for your experience.

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
East Brunswick, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked 10 days in advance directly with choice hotels, of which I am a Choice Privileges Member. I advised it would be a late arrival and guaranteed the room with a credit card. When I arrived at the hotel exhausted at 12:30 AM with three children in tow after 7 hours on the road, I was told that they had overbooked the hotel and bumped me to a nearby sister hotel, a Suburban Suites where I would be treated very well. It happens, and I took it in stride. I was just looking forward to some sleep in a clean room, but soon found myself in a hotel I never would have stayed at were it not by then 12:45 am. I will post that hotel review seperately (Suburban Suites Extended stay)YUK! The kicker here is that they put me in a hotel that did not include breakfast or a pool, was pretty gross, and tried to charge me the same rate that I had been booked at. I complained and they finally discounted me. Poor, poor management and policy-poor treatment. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Overbooked and bumped me to a dump for the same price even though I guaranteed the room and am a Cho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
QualityInn340, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding our hotel management on your past visit. I have looked into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel policies. I have shared your feedback with all my management staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. We will soon be completing an extensive guest room renovation, inclusive of new carpeting, wall coverings and accessories. Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Chester.
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Where do I start? We asked for a none smoking room. The room they gave us had a very bad smell of smoke in it so we ask to be moved and they did. The next room they gave us had a air filter machine running in it to mask the smell in it. It said no smoking on the bed with a little sign but ash trays were present in both rooms. ???? That night my wife noticed that the door safety lock was missing on the door. I could tell it had been ripped out. This made us fill very unsafe that night. The bath room door would not close all the way due to dragging on the floor. The bath room light shade over the sink had a large baseball size hole broken out in it with the bulb conection partly showing. There was mold on the tub and the cover for the tub valve was broken. There was a dead bug on the cealing over the tv. On check in we were no given sheets for the pull out even though we said we were going to use it. When I took all this information to the asst. manager he told me they had cut back to one service person. I advised him that was not working for them. We were there for a church conference in the area with several pastors there. I told the manager I would see to it that we as a group would not stay there again. He offered to take 10% off my bill but did not do so at check out. Lots of truck noise all night long and my wife could not sleep due to it. I called choice hotels and advised them of this. A lot more I could list but I think you can get the picture.Hope this helps someone. Pastor Larry Lane Portsmouth Va.

Room Tip: no way to get away from truck noise!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete the online review regarding your stay at our hotel. Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding our hotel management on your past visit. I have shared your feedback with all my management staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. We will soon be completing an extensive guest room renovation, inclusive of new carpeting, wall coverings and accessories so I think this will exclude the carpet that had a heavy odor. We ask that you give us another opportunity to better host you at our property, at a 25% discounted offer. I invite you to contact me personally at 804-796-5200 to discuss this with you further.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Although the staff was very pleasant, we spent most of our overnight stay hearing trucks and other vehicles from the nearby interstate/highways. My other complaint was the breakfast - not the food but all the truckers hogging the area (we walked in at 6 A.M. ready to eat and hit the road). The tables are joined together by twos or threes. Unfortunately, it was common to see one trucker sitting at the middle table, occupying all the joined tables. The only place we could find to sit down was at the computer table, trying hard not to get any food or drink on the keyboard. Also, some of their conversations were a little spicy. Keep this in mind if you like to eat early.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask if your room is near the interstate/highways
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests, Thank you for taking the time review our Quality Inn with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.
We are looking forward to providing you the same pleasant accommodations and service the next time you are in town! :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

The hotel that I was originally headed for was over booked, so when I ended up at the Quality Inn I didnt have very high expectations. But, I was very pleasantly surprised. My sons loved the indoor pool, the king suite was perfect for us, and the hot breakfast was fantastic! I would definitely suggest this property to families with small children.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Please accept a huge thank you from all of us here at the Quality Inn! We were so happy to hear you had such a great experience. It means the world to us to hear when we have had a success. All comments are worth reading and learning from, [especially the the good ones :) ] Thank you again and we hope to see you again!
Exeter, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were passing through the area late night and needed a place to stay. We generally don't choose Quality Inns, but every single hotel off this exit was booked, this was the only one with availability. That turned us off, but it was after midnight and we couldn't be too choosy. The room was cheap, only $99.00. The beds were very uncomfortable, the sofa bed particularly so. When you laid on it, the mattress sunk right through the frame. The rooms weren't very big, only a narrow walkway to get around the beds once the sofa was opened up. There was a window seat which doubled as a bed, but it was filthy and had so many stains on it, we wouldn't even let our kids sit on it. The soda machines ate our money, but there was a decent selection in the snack machines.

Having arrived late, we were slow getting around in the morning and the front desk staff started harassing us exactly one minute after check out time. We got 3 calls to our room and someone knocking on our door. I understand we were running a little behind time, but surely one call was sufficient. We've never been so harassed when simply running a few minutes late upon checkout.

We'll not be back to this hotel and are sorry it was the only one with availability

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we used the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. Soon, a complete an extensive guest room renovation, inclusive of new carpeting, wall coverings and accessories so I think this will exclude the carpet that had a heavy odor. Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Chester.
Chester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

ms.johnnisa was very helpful with everything i ask her polite and smile all hotel need front desk clerk like her . when hotel get good review on front desk clerk they should give them raise no matter the reason.

Room Tip: check in quality inn chester,va
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
It is very encouraging for me and my team to receive positive feedback like yours. If your future travel plans bring you back to Chester, we will be delighted to serve you again. Kind regards from your Quality Inn family.

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!