“Chic and Upscale” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dearborn, Michigan
“Chic and Upscale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Am currently staying here and I am delighted! Got a good bargain online via the no-bid secret deal and was thrilled to get a Hyatt Place for a very low price. The rooms are all mini-suites with huge flat screen TVs, work desks, large L-shaped sofas and expensive toiletries. The furniture is sleek and modern, with plenty of wood and mirrors. There is a soothing, Asian feel to the decor. The staff is warm and eager to provide good service. Continental breakfast is included, which I never find in an upscale hotel. Chester is a pleasant suburb about 10 miles south of Richmond, close to Petersburg and City Point for the Civil War buffs out there. If you are travelling with children this would be a good choice, since there is space to spread out in the room and 2 kids could easily sleep on the L-shaped sofa, plus 2 more in one of the beds. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester, responded to this review, February 26, 2013

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 804-530-4600.

Terry Ford
Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I had a great stay at the Hyatt Place in Chester, VA. The room was huge, with a super large sofa, king bed, work desk, and what seemed to be a 60" flat screen TV. The room came with full breakfast. The hotel in general, but our room in particular, was exceptionally clean. Also, Marcel at the front desk was extremely accommodating to our unique request and needs. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was in the middle of a long road trip when staying here, and I really needed to relax. I definitely chose the wrong hotel. I had some food and drinks at the bar. When the server gave me the bill, I was charged for 27 beers (I only had 5)! When I pointed out the error, the server could not figure out how to fix it. He asked 2 other associates, and none of them could figure it out. They promised me that when I checked out in the morning, it would be fixed. When I checked out in the morning, it wasn't. The desk clerk couldn't fix it either. Errors do occur (in fact, once a Hyatt had missed charging me for something, and I pointed that out), and Hyatt staff have always been able to quickly fix them. So, I don't know why 4 associates couldn't. I was told the Assistant Manager would fix it and call me. When she called me, she told me she had seen the 27 beer charge prior to my checkout and figured it was an error. Why didn't she fix it then?

It gets worse. Someone from the hotel removed ALL my Hyatt points after adjusting my bill, including the ones for my actual bar tab. I had to call Hyatt customer service. They were excellent as always, and fixed the issue in 2 minutes. I don't understand why Hyatt customer service could fix this in 2 minutes, yet the hotel's entire staff could not at all. When I informed the property manager, Terry Ford, he sent me a terse and rude email speaking negatively of Hyatt customer service, the only people who had made me happy. He promised to add 2,000 points to my Hyatt account, but never did. I am now again speaking with Hyatt customer service, as they are the only ones who are courteous and professional in resolving the issue.

Room Tip: Check your bill carefully.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel is well built to usual Hyatt Place standards but seems to have a number of problems.
I have stayed there several times and on the latest stay had a number of problems which seems to indicate poor management -- the AC did not work, my wife got bitten all over her back by insects when in bed and the breakfast was awful:
After an hour in bed by wife had to get up as her back was covered by insect bites. They did check the bed and we assume it was an mosquito..but in November...??
The AC would not cool the room properly and we had a very warm night in a stuffy room.
Then the much heralded and usually very good review was awful. The hot food was stone cold as it was on a hot plate that the stay had not bothered to turn on and the freshly baked pastries were nowhere to be seen. Perhaps the fact that the three staff stood around the reception area and talked about basketball in very loud voices -- oblivious to the existence of guests had something to do with the awful breakfast. This was shocking for a supposedly good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

The lobby is very dark, has loud music blaring and a strange smell (I think the smell is some kind of air freshener piped through the vents). The breakfast area was way too small to accommodate diners, so people were standing and eating everywhere. The fruit they had out was rotten and the selection of everything else was poor. My room was a nice size, but very dirty and had an old, dingy toilet/shower area. I found pubic hairs on the towels hanging in front of the sink. I had a nice large tv, but it emitted a loud, high pitched noise. It was one of the noisiest hotels I've ever stayed at. The air conditioner/heater was incredibly loud and I constantly heard people coming in and out of their rooms at all hours...no sound proofing on the doors at all! I liked the full length mirrored closet door in the room...that's about it!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a great surprise in this little area. Amenities were brand new, very comfortable and the bar and breakfast were a nice touch. Beds were really comfy rooms were big! The Mexican restaurant across the street was good too!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Here for a wedding weekend, our room on the 4th floor, no. 424 to be exact. This was a standard room with two double beds, but it felt like a suite. The room had a large modular sofa and ottoman, flat screen TV on a swivel to be viewed from bed or from the sofa and desk. Marble countertops and a small fridge, no minibar. The bathroom was adequate and clean. The closet did not have a door, but it only faced the sink and served as a divider to the bedroom portion. The hotel had some partiers on our floor, but due to proximity they did not affect our stay, we only heard the noise when walking by that hallway. An icemaker was across from our door, however I never heard any disturbance from this. In the lobby they have a small Starbucks station and bar serving wine and beer. The hotel has self parking, a full free breakfast in the lobby and room service. There are no bellman services. I would return if I had a need in the area.

Room Tip: Corner room is larger and quieter than rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester? Share your experiences!