“Excellent choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Chester
Rockford, Michigan
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I travel frequenty for business and have a project that brought me to Chester VA. I tried several hotels before I tried this one, once I stayed here my search was over. What a find. Very nicely decorated and updated hotel, seems very new, great rooms, but the best part is the staff. Rooms are very large, very nicely furnished, and very clean. What more could you want in a room. Public areas are also very nicely furnished and decorated. Breakfast and evening dinners (Monday thru Wednesday) are very good. The staff is the best, they are all very friendly and helpful. I have stayed here over 50 nights since April and will continue to stay through October, and have never been dissapointed by the hotel. Manager Sonita is a true host, very friendly and accomodating. I tried other hotels in the area and they do not come close to this hotel. Price is very reasonable for what you get. Hotel is very accessible from 295 or 95.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We enjoyed staying at the Residence Inn Chester Virginia earlier this week for a one night stay. Prior reviews are accurate there is more of a military presence (including dependents, families and kids) than fellow business travelers but the room was quiet and clean. It did make the breakfast/managers reception and pool a bit more crowded than other hotels that cater to a business crowd. My daughter is in the military and stationed outside the continental US so the military 'buzz' didn't bother me a bit! This location is several miles off of I-95 (about a 5 minute drive) but easy to get to I 95 and I 295.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We really liked this property. It is very clean, updated and the breakfast was hearty. The only thing I could add to the breakfast-was more of a selection of fresh fruits(only had apples) would have been better. The pool was large and no one was in it-kids loved having it to themselves. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is a Chinese place in the nearby plaza and that was excellent for take out.

Room Tip: Upper floor and corner rooms-away from elevator are quiet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here. I didn't experience any problems with noise and the rooms were very nice and breakfast was good.

One thing you might consider before making a reservation is that when I was here, about 90% of the guests were Army and Army families. From what I understand, some of them are living here long term.

I served in the Army myself, so I got nothing against our fighting men and women, but since I'm a businessman now, I felt a bit out of place walking around in my suit and nearly everyone I saw like 26 years old and dressed in combat fatigues.

Everyone was really nice, but just ask yourself if you saw a very nicely appointed Army barracks with a "Vacancy" sign out front, consider if you'd stay there if you were on local business.

So pretty nice spot, but I felt a bit out of place not being in uniform.

Room Tip: Request a high floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kaiserslautern, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The room and location was well kept and maintained. The shortfall was in service, I attempted to relay the issues with Sonita Segrest the GM but her staff either failed to pass on my info or she didn't care to resolve them with me. The hotel is filled to capacity by the US Army officer trainees so this may be part of the complacency. The hotel will have to fix this soon because Fort Lee will open a 1000 bed hotel and all this government billing will dry up. The service issues included low standard housekeeping, the housekeeping staff would come in and do the bare minimum (Make the bed, new towels etc.) but the normal quality of care I've seen at other Residence Inn's was not met. This may be due to staff shortfalls or poor QC by mangement....both easily fixed with an engage leader. I stayed 4 nights and the first morning's breakfast had run out of a number of items (OJ, breakfast meats, the waffle iron was missing, etc.) the next 3 days were back up to the norm. Bottom Line, the hotel could easily be a "excellent" if the management was engaged in the quality of services.

Room Tip: Stay away from the basketball court, the constant bouncing of the ball can become annoying.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Residence inn has become our new favorite hotel brand! It's perfect for our family of four. Hot breakfast, large TVs, full kitchen, modern amenities, GREAT PRICE!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Petersburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I had an excellent experience at the Residence Inn Marriot in Chester and I would definitely recommend this hotel. I had to change my reservation dates a couple times and the staff did so without an attitude and were quite professional. The room was very up to date and well appointed with nice finishes. Everything was nice from the furnishings and decor to all the amenities in the kitchenette. You can be comfortable in this hotel if you are staying for a week long vacation or TDY to Fort Lee for 3 months. This hotel even offers a complimentary dinner 3 nights a week in addition to the 7 days a week complimentary hot breakfast. The only down side I noticed during my stay was the indoor pool was not heated so the water was a bit chilly in early May but the whirlpool was hot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Richmond Chester? Share your experiences!