“Roaches” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Suburban Extended Stay Hotel

You added Suburban Extended Stay Hotel to your Saves list
Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2401 W. Hundred Road, Chester, VA 23831 (Formerly Clarion Hotel Chester)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Roaches”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Saw a huge roach carcass in the hallway, and had a baby cockroach in my bathroom. That's too bad, as everything else was adequate.

This hotel would be priced right if it weren't for the infestation.

The rooms are somewhat updated.... everything except for the little things that are often overlooked in a room renovation: The electrical outlets were worn and dirty, the bathroom door bottom was rotted out, the room door and hinges were old rusty and worn, and the cover for the bathroom exhaust fan was rusty and old, and the TV is the old tube type..

Everything else in the room looks like it was updated within the last couple of years, yet very beat. The carpet was newer, but near the doors and edges it is frayed. The carpet had stains and gum marks. The wallpaper is torn in some places. The room has modern furniture and pictures on the wall, but you can see where the pictures bolt to the wall, and the dresser is warped and worn where the heavy TV sits on it. The counter top, table, and nightstand tops are real granite, as is the shower wall, although the shower wall is stained. The toilet is a newer quick flush. The lamps are modern. although they all have incandescent bulbs instead of energy saving CFL's. See what I mean? Nice new lamps and old bulbs. Same with the bed. Modern new headboard, and old dated comforter.

Upon arrival the internet network jack on the wall was dead, and the shower handle was broken. The maintenance man was here today, but he was unable to fix either problem. The shower still worked, and they have wireless internet, so these items were not critical.

If they can convince you they fixed the insect problem, then the hotel would be worth the rate. It seems like they have had this problem for a while, though. Wish I could have seen these reviews before I booked, but used a phone app to do so.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed three nights; Mon - Wed. Good service from the desk staff and the chamber people. The owner, Aneil, tries to please his guests. I would stay here again. A very good two-star hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Chester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Once hotel management knew about my dog they wanted to additional charge me $35.00.
Not only is that amount over the top for pet charges usually $20.00 every where else. This Clarion Hotel in Chester VA threathen me with the credit card charge or I could leave my room and the hotel without my paid hotel amount of $69.00 . They will not accept your pet unless you paid their $35.00 ransom. They also demand the $35.00 cash or charge immediately or it goes on your credit without approval.
If you travel with a dog compaion like I do ( I am a windower) stay away from this Clarion hotel in Chester, VA

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Hotel was really good. The location is really convenient right off the exit. and Hooters is right next doors so you get food and beer. Nice place to chill and stop by along your long drive.
Staff were really helpful. They show me the direction to certain places also informed me about the other good restaurants near the area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

The reviews are right! Do yourself a favor and pass this hotel by.

This place is way to "BUGGY" -- Roaches & Bed Bugs... EEWWWHHH. No Shower Curtain in many our our room, doors wouldn't close right, holes is bath tubs - item stolen out of the back of a truck outside... Just don't waste your time here! There are other hotels across the street - stay at one of those.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Laurel, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

I came here with a big group of colleagues, so we all had plenty of horror stories to share about the rooms. The biggest thing you should know is that there is absolutely a roach infestation. The other reviewers are not lying about this! One of my colleagues found a giant roach upon first entering his room. Another colleague saw multiple roaches scatter when he turned on his lights. And if you don't have the pleasure of seeing a roach in your room, just look for all the dead ones in the hallways and stairwells. This hotel is extremely dirty. There were big stains on my floor, ceilings, and walls. My colleague found a big collection of nail clippings on the carpet. The maintenance staff came and picked them up by hand, which makes me think they may not even have any working vacuums. There are strange noises in the room - I'm not sure if it's bugs or what, but I had a very hard time falling asleep. There are some hotels literally right across the street. Just go stay in one of those, because in no way is this place worth saving the $5 or $10 a night, unless you are not bothered by bugs or filth.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I stayed here on the Government's dime. I was attending a two week course at nearby Ft. Lee. My first night as I sat in my rickety chair to use the computer, I noticed something dark under the bed that was about 1" long. Further investigation indicated that it was a dead Cockroach, prompting me to buy slippers (which I've never worn in a hotel). Thinking that it had just died and looking for a fight, I decided to leave it there to see how long it took for housekeeping to get it. Two days later, before I left for class, I kicked it out from under the bed because I was tired of looking at it. I later spoke with some of my classmates who also found dead roaches.
I was also shocked that in my two weeks there, the only hot showers I enjoyed were the ones I took immediately upon retuning from class or right before bed. A hot shower in the morning just wasn't going to happen. I've never been in a hotel that ran out of cold water. In all fairness though, the desk clerk was more than happy to move me to a different room (which I'm not sure would have helped), but I chose to stay where I was rather than repacking all my stuff.
My last complaint was their business center. It consists of two computers and a printer. I went to print handouts for my class and found that one of the computers had some type of error message that prevented me from doing anything and the other wouldn't print. The desk clerk informed me that he cold print for me at $1.00 (yes I said one dollar) per page. Thankfully, he didn't charge me for my 4 page document.
One thing I do have to say though, they did take great care of us. I don't know if they do this for all the guests, but every night a clerk delivered milk and cookies to our rooms. Additionally, this was the first time I can remember the front desk clerk calling me on several occasions to ensure that all was well.
The bed was comfortable and conveniently located. If I ever have to return, I hope that I get to stay in a different hotel.

• Liked — Customer service
  • Disliked — Maintenence
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Hotel? Share your experiences!