“Property is okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Akron, Ohio
“Property is okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I am typically a loyal Marriott customer but IHG hotels was offering a special promotion for members so I stayed here for 2 weeks. Hotel room was comfortable. I had a room with double beds. I do a lot of work on laptop - sitting chair and ottoman was really comfortable. I loved the sauna - it actually got really hot - exactly how a sauna should be. I used the gym once to twice a day. It is too small and needs to have new equipment. I was surprised how many people actually used the equipment - but sometimes I had to wait and treadmill (one) was broken. The hotel is undergoing renovations. I had a nice, quiet, decent stay. No complaints - holiday Inn just needs to do better to be like Marriott. There also was no computer room/ business center.printer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Chesterhie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Dear Mallowmow,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide a great experience for all of our guests, so I will work with our team at this property to ensure your issues are addressed for future stays.

However, I am glad you mention your satisfaction with our rooms and sauna. We aim to provide a comfortable stay at a great value for all of our guests.

Again, I apologize for the issues you encountered and hope you will consider our hotel the next time you stay in the Chester area. Please get in touch with me if you have any additional issues to discuss.

joanne@shaminhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here and had the most unprofessional hotel attendant EVER. The AC worked in the lobby but the room was hotter than Hades!!! The room was not clean and there was female hair everywhere. If I had to stay in the area again I will stay at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed June 2011
Chesterhie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Roadkingwarrior,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I can assure you that your noted comments are certainly not the norm, and will most certainly be addressed. I further welcome your call or email to discuss the details of your visit, as well welcome the opportunity to show we can do better.

PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Front Desk staff for check in was slow. Breakfast was good, but couldn't get staff to refill pancake machine once it was empty.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chesterhie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear PSU1983,

Thank you for your recent stay and review.It was very concerning for us to read this review of our hotel.We take pride in providing excellent customer service in all areas of the hotel including breakfast.I can assure you your comments will be addressed.

Clio, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

The room was OK. The hotel offers most everything that i've come to expect from the Holiday Inn Express line, minus a pool. The hotel advertises having a "Fitness Center" and a "sauna" . Yes, the hotel has these, but they're quite small, adequate for one person or two, but any more, and it's quite crowded. Add a pool, and it would be much better. Free Breakfast in the lobby in the mornings, and free WiFi. You need a code for this, and they write it on the check-in envelope, but if you're on the 'backside' of the hotel, you can pick up a neighboring hotel's WiFi without a code.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your visit and review.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Enjoyed the stay up until I discovered that I Ieft my cell phone charger plugged into the wall behind the nightable. We checked out at about 1:00pm (late check out no problem) and I called at 5:30pm that same day to see if it had been found. Apparently houskeeping was gone, but it hadn't been turned in. Long story short after several calls over two days and cumulative 30 minutes of holding time, it can't be located. The way I see it, either housekeeping took it (had to find it because I unplugged the bedside lamp) or subsequesnt quest took it which means no one from the hotel went to look for it. Shame on me for leaving it, but hotels response could have been way better.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chesterhie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our property. As mobile phone charges are the most commonly left items by travelers/guests, I can understand your frustration. I am happy to take another look in our lost and found department to see if I can locate your missing item. Please do not hesistate to call us so that we can move forward with this transaction.

All the best,

Joanne
BALTIMORE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Staff was nice and that's about the most I can say. We had a room with a "fireplace" (more like a nite light) and jacuzzi (which I fell getting into and out of - poor design). Jacuzzi and Bathroom Floor was extremely slippery and I slipped many times throughout the three days there. Not immaculate. We had a second room and it also was not very special. Due to problem with shower design, bathroom was very wet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We booked into this hotel via the hotel`s website at 11:30 p.m. for an expect 1 a.m. arrival. When we arrived, the man who checked us in was as slow as molasses. Completely forgiveable at one a.m.. although he said, somewhat curiously that he didn't know where the front desk staff was! We were to get an upgrade autmatically because of the hotel`s loyalty program., which is generally a great program. Didn`t get it and was told that all the rooms are the same anyway except for the suites, which were booked. This is certainly not what their web-site says.

So we staggered off to our room. The third floor stinks - reeks - of stale cigarette smoke. It`s like a bar at six in the morning when the beer and cigarette smoke have gone stale. The door to our room says `non-smoking`` and to be fair, ithe room didn`t stink of smoke. But there is a gap under the door, a big one, and the smoke was unavoidable. It was 1:30 a.m. and we had driven for almost 13 hours. The front desk fellow had been so unhelpful at check-in - and we were so tired - that we simply lived with it. We mentioned it in the morning to the very efficient front desk woman who promised to credit us with hotel loyalty points. We`ll see.

This is not up to this chain`s standards, that is certain. The room was adequate. A king bed. Four pillows on the bed. No extra blanket. The heater/AC is a unit that sits close to the floor and has its thermostat right on it - no thermostat to set a temperature - simply the type that allows you to set hot, cold, more hot, more cold... and noisy. Free internet. Close to I95 south. Dated but functional showers

We were very tired from driving, so I'm trying to be fair. We booked this hotel, however, because of the chain's name, and they shoudl meet the standard of the chain. This one doesn't and there are too many other choices out there. Avoid this place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chester? Share your experiences!