“Nice Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Clio, Michigan
“Nice Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

The room was OK. The hotel offers most everything that i've come to expect from the Holiday Inn Express line, minus a pool. The hotel advertises having a "Fitness Center" and a "sauna" . Yes, the hotel has these, but they're quite small, adequate for one person or two, but any more, and it's quite crowded. Add a pool, and it would be much better. Free Breakfast in the lobby in the mornings, and free WiFi. You need a code for this, and they write it on the check-in envelope, but if you're on the 'backside' of the hotel, you can pick up a neighboring hotel's WiFi without a code.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Chesterhie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for your visit and review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Enjoyed the stay up until I discovered that I Ieft my cell phone charger plugged into the wall behind the nightable. We checked out at about 1:00pm (late check out no problem) and I called at 5:30pm that same day to see if it had been found. Apparently houskeeping was gone, but it hadn't been turned in. Long story short after several calls over two days and cumulative 30 minutes of holding time, it can't be located. The way I see it, either housekeeping took it (had to find it because I unplugged the bedside lamp) or subsequesnt quest took it which means no one from the hotel went to look for it. Shame on me for leaving it, but hotels response could have been way better.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chesterhie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our property. As mobile phone charges are the most commonly left items by travelers/guests, I can understand your frustration. I am happy to take another look in our lost and found department to see if I can locate your missing item. Please do not hesistate to call us so that we can move forward with this transaction.

All the best,

Joanne
BALTIMORE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Staff was nice and that's about the most I can say. We had a room with a "fireplace" (more like a nite light) and jacuzzi (which I fell getting into and out of - poor design). Jacuzzi and Bathroom Floor was extremely slippery and I slipped many times throughout the three days there. Not immaculate. We had a second room and it also was not very special. Due to problem with shower design, bathroom was very wet.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We booked into this hotel via the hotel`s website at 11:30 p.m. for an expect 1 a.m. arrival. When we arrived, the man who checked us in was as slow as molasses. Completely forgiveable at one a.m.. although he said, somewhat curiously that he didn't know where the front desk staff was! We were to get an upgrade autmatically because of the hotel`s loyalty program., which is generally a great program. Didn`t get it and was told that all the rooms are the same anyway except for the suites, which were booked. This is certainly not what their web-site says.

So we staggered off to our room. The third floor stinks - reeks - of stale cigarette smoke. It`s like a bar at six in the morning when the beer and cigarette smoke have gone stale. The door to our room says `non-smoking`` and to be fair, ithe room didn`t stink of smoke. But there is a gap under the door, a big one, and the smoke was unavoidable. It was 1:30 a.m. and we had driven for almost 13 hours. The front desk fellow had been so unhelpful at check-in - and we were so tired - that we simply lived with it. We mentioned it in the morning to the very efficient front desk woman who promised to credit us with hotel loyalty points. We`ll see.

This is not up to this chain`s standards, that is certain. The room was adequate. A king bed. Four pillows on the bed. No extra blanket. The heater/AC is a unit that sits close to the floor and has its thermostat right on it - no thermostat to set a temperature - simply the type that allows you to set hot, cold, more hot, more cold... and noisy. Free internet. Close to I95 south. Dated but functional showers

We were very tired from driving, so I'm trying to be fair. We booked this hotel, however, because of the chain's name, and they shoudl meet the standard of the chain. This one doesn't and there are too many other choices out there. Avoid this place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Mattawamkeag, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I was there for a total of 12 weeks while working in the area, room was pretty quiet, clean, there was no restaurant on the site but plenty of restaurants closeby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Troy, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed 3 nights while in the area for a Richmond Nascar weekend.
The staff was friendly and helpfull. Nice clean hotel , Good breakfast, easy access to the track and highways ...
Over all , a VERY relaxing and enjoyable stay at a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I stayed at this HI for two nights during the week on business in nearby Hopewell. All in all no major complaints, but certainly nothing stood out to me to make me want to stay here again. The service at check-in was speedy with no surprises but the front desk was not friendly or very helpful outside of check-in. I was in a king room which was a little on the small side. The furnishings seemed new but the rest of the room, like the common areas of the hotel, was noticeably much older and outdated. It was clean and the bathroom was clean enough (a few hairs here and there). The bed was on the firm side but after a long days work, I had no problems with the sleep I got on it. A/C was newer and worked fine. The breakfast was your typical pre-prepared foods with the signature HI Express cinnamon buns which were not on par with ones I've had before. There are not that many restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel but plenty within a 15 minute drive. Went to an italian place (Caeser's ?) down Rte 10 West that was good and fairly priced. The internet connection in the rooms is not great but good enough for the usual web surfing. To sum it up, I was looking out my window at the Courtyard next door that was another $20-40/ night and if I was going to be in the hotel for any significant amount of time, I'd opt to stay there but for a quick one or two night business trip this HI works fine but in the future I will try somewhere else that is comparably priced. .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chester? Share your experiences!