“Robbed and treated like nothing” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Chesapeake
Poquoson, Virginia, United States
“Robbed and treated like nothing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

While staying at this hotel the night of our wedding all of our monetary gifts were stolen from our car. I asked the desk clerk if there was video and he said maybe but only the manager could look. They wrote my name and number on the back of another slip of paper and didn't even take a formal inquiry. Two days later we came back to talk to the manager and she said the car hadn't been on camera and that she had tried to call earlier that day. I had no missed calls on my phone. Oddly enough no one had been in the parking lot when we arrived or in the lobby or elevator. Only the desk clerk saw me come in wearing a wedding dress. Our car was not decorated with "just married" or anything of the sort. Somehow the only thing taken or even looked through was the card box. I have called corporate who has sent an email to this hotel asking them to call me and its been almost a day and I still have not heard back. It seems that there is something very suspicious going on here and I feel as though we were targeted by the staff as honeymooners. Now it feels as though the hotel is covering it up and not being helpful at all. I would not stay here or at any other of these chains again! The staff is obviously untrustworthy and when things go wrong can not be counted upon to take the situation seriously.

Room Tip: no where in this hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter K, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for staying at our hotel. It was unfortunate and our heartfelt apologies for the supposed robbery incident. All of the staff members have empathized over the issue to you and the Manager Tammy has spoken to you in length. She even took you to the surveillance area and showed you the security monitor and discussed with you in detail. However in the TV interview, you made a comment that you left the car "UNLOCKED" and there was no forced entry!!! Although getting robbed in a very busy parking lot in today's day & age is not uncommon locking your car will definately enhance better security.I take a lot of pride to thank my honest and dedicated staff who would not only go an extra mile and do whatever it takes to make my guests happy. There have been many occasions where my honest staff has turned in expensive diamond jewellery, Ipod, Ipad, wallet,etc. which was left in the rooms. I am sorry you suspect hotel staff but our staff has only been safegaurding troopers highly caring for our valuable guests. Once again thanks for staying with us.At our hotel Guest Services is not everything but it is the only thing! We care, love and value our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

If you need a long term place to stay, this is not a bad hotel. The first non-smoking room we were put in had obviously been smoked in but they gladly changed us to another room. Overall, the hotel is clean and well maintained. The corridors are heavily perfumed, and that is a bit overwhelming, but the staff is friendly, the beds comfortable, and the price was right for a long term stay. We booked 3 rooms and were there a week the first time and two nights the second time on business. This hotel gets lots of contractors staying there who come in to work in the area. Parking is ample even with many trucks. We also saw happy families with kids. The grounds were als clean and well maintained.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Zebulon, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Check-in went smoothly. I cannot say enough good things about the clerk that was working when we got there. Check-out went.....not so smooth! I called to request a late check out.. The desk clerk said that she would call me back. Well I waited over thirty minutes. I called her back and she apologized for not getting back with me. We were given a late check out of 2pm. At approximately 1:05 the phone rang in my room. It was the general manager of the property. She stated that they could not honor the late 2pm check out because there was a reservation for the room that we were in. We were basically kicked out. I am a priority member which obviously means nothing. The room was wonderful but customer service needs improvement. Everyone should be on the same page so that what happened to us does not happen to anyone else.Definitely do not plan on staying there again. Better service and amenities await you at the Holiday Inn around the corner from this property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter K, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Batts,

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The rooms are spacious and well maintained, and the staff goes out of their way to ensure that your stay is perfect. Outdoor seating area and grill are a nice touch for the warm days, and the rooms comes equipped with full kitchens.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for attending training and it is a clean hotel with a lot of amenities. I liked the free guest laundry and DVD players in room. They even have movie rental for free! I found the staff at all levels very caring and going above and beyond for anything requested. The rate was very reasonable and I enjoyed my stay. When I return to the area, I will definately stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at candlewood and i let the front desk lady which i believe is a manager know that we are having problems with the toilet running . She told me that maintenance was gone and that she'll see what she can do and hung up on me .. Hearing that toilet run aggravates me and makes me not even want to use the bathroom . Instead of me and my boyfriend enjoying our stay he ended up working because he ended up fixing the toilet . Smfh

• Stayed March 2013
Peter K, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Your business is greatly appreciated and our sinceres apologies for your experience at our hotel. I was unable to find a toilet related work order or a front desk person handling it recently. However I have addressed your complaint with our staff. It is our goal and mission here at the hotel to exceed our guest expectations and go above & beyond to address any situation.
Peter Kumar
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I was in the area for some training and staye here. For the price I coul not have asked for a nicer place or staff. I love the fact that my room has a kitchenette so I can cook if I want to instead of eating out every night. The staff have been extremely friendly and helpful and seem to go above and beyond to want to help their guests. I checked in a little early and my room wasn't ready but they cleaned my room quickly and got me in as quickly as they could. If i had any complaint at all it would be that the free wifi could get bogged down at times but I also like to stream movies on Netflix so I understand. If you are in the Portsmouth area give them a chance. It may not have the fancy hotel chain names but the rooms themselves are very nice and may save you some substantial money.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk? Share your experiences!