“It Was Quite an Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Sasebo, Japan
“It Was Quite an Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed here for 3 months and during that time, we survived a fruit fly infestation, a fire just down the hall from our room that forced us to evacuate in the middle of the night, broken pipes that shut down the water in our room for the day and a broken dishwasher that drained the water out all over the floor. Things sometimes happen that aren't within the control of the staff and you just have to be understanding. But I did have one complaint, being that it took a full week for someone to come by and fix the dishwasher.

I went to the front desk on several occasions to find out what was taking so long and was told that their guy said every time he came by, I had a Do Not Disturb sign up, which simply wasn't true. Why not call to set up a time then? Or have the front desk call me? One of the handyman guys didn't have any trouble hanging out in my room talking to one of the maids while they were trying to clean. I returned to my room on several occasions to find him standing there, chatting. I would see these same guys hanging out at the front desk at any time of the day, chatting up the front desk clerks or out smoking, so I feel that they had plenty of time to fix my dishwasher. I also feel that while I am paying for a room and have my personal items there, it is a huge invasion of my personal space to have staff members that treat it as a place to just hang out.

Also, we had one unexplained incident. My husband's cell phone went missing. He doesn't always carry it with him and had decided to leave it behind in the room one day. We were out and about and came back that evening to find it gone. He went to report it to the front desk and they said that no one had turned one in, but they would keep their eye out for it. Within 10 minutes, one of the staff members came with his phone in their hand and said it had just been turned in. We can't figure out what happened, but we were so glad to get the phone back, we didn't ask questions. However, it was very odd.

We also ran afoul of Lori, the general manager, the very first day. My husband stopped to ask the maid coming down the hall with the cart for an extra towel. She asked for our room number and said she would be there shortly. About 15 minutes later, Lori came to the door, handed us a towel and said that if we needed anything, we were to call the front desk and not "bother" the maids. Unfortunately, that incident seemed to label us as troublesome patrons to be avoided as we would see her circle the gathering room to greet and chat with the other patrons, but in 3 months, she never stopped at ours.

I would take my laptop to the gathering room and hang out during the day. Spending so much time there, I noticed a few things that would not be tolerated in other hotels. Several of the front desk clerks would leave the front desk unmanned for long periods of time to stand out front, smoking with the handyman guys, only to return when they would see someone through the glass, standing at the desk. The handyman guys also waste a tremendous amount of time, wandering the hallways, smoking, or leaning up against the front desk, chatting and everyone laughing loudly. Sometimes it would get so loud, I would have to return to my room.

On the plus side, I appreciated Lynn and Lance cooking for us twice a day, Monday through Friday, and breakfast on the weekend, battling fruit flies and grumpy, hungry patrons. I thought they did a great job and enjoyed seeing their smiling faces. They took the job of feeding us very seriously and the meals they prepared were more substantial and tasty then the Homewood Suites in Virginia Beach where they serve microwave pizza and chicken nuggets. bleh

Amanda, who usually cleaned our room, was also awesome. She was quick and very efficient and never forgot a thing. She is also very focused and disciplined and a great asset to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

OK hotel and location which we used as base for our virginia beach area visit. Rooms as expected but housekeeping extremely poor (if they showed up). Despite adressing it at the front desk then no improvements during our stay. Hotel has an outdoor pool but it is never open (closed 5 out of 7 days we stayed here) so really no point in having it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Although the GM was excellent, the service from the breakfast/dinner server was terrible. The woman who serves the breakfast and dinner makes you feel like an unwelcome intruder in her kitchen. The rooms have old carpet and generally appear dirty.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lori_Santiago, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your stay. As much as we pride ourselves on our customer service, the upkeep of our property is of great importance to us as well. Whether a guest is with us for a short visit or extended stay, making one feel as if they are home away from home is our goal.I would hope should you visit this area again, please give us the opportunity to fix where we have fallen short.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Please stay at this hotel. It's absolutely amazing. Staff is friendly. They have complimentary food and wifi. And the location is amazing. You are near plenty of places to eat and shop. And abut 15 to 20 minutes away from the beach and place to jet ski. We were even able to wash and dry our clothes a total of 1.00 per load at the end of our stay. And they even let you rent DVD players to watch movies.

Room Tip: We were placed on the first floor and had an amazing housekeeper Amanda.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback as to your last visit with us. I am so glad to hear that we have made a positive impression, that is the icing on the cake. Please do not hesitate to stop by and visit us again when you are in the area.
Spots
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Lori Santiago as a General Manager did an OUTSTANDING job. We were there as a group - we had a total of 4 rooms, 8 adults and 10 kids. We were pampered. Lori has done a great job motivating her employees to perform a very outstanding job. WE loved our stay there and if we are again in the area, this is the hotel that we will be staying. Her staff (Anitra, Zack, Lance - were just a few to mention) was very polite. Breakfast was great, hot and fresh. Since we had kids with us, sometimes if we were late getting to breakfast, knowing how big our group was, they were very nice to stay open a little late until our kids had the breakfast. That was a HUGE help. Lori kept on checking in with us a few times a day to make sure our kids or us did not need anything else. Lori and her team is a great asset to Homewood Suites.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wow, thank you for your feedback. I am so very glad to hear that we have made an impression. Should your travels have you come back to this area, please give us the opportunity to serve you again.
klelmore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had an excellent experience here. When I arrived they did not have my reservation because I made a mistake and had booked the night before. The wonderful lady at the front desk helped me and got us a room. She was amazing and with a newborn it was so wonderful. Dinner and breakfast were great too.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I do remember your check in and was very glad to be able to assist. It was my pleasure and I do hope you plan on making us your home away from home should you happen to visit Chesapeake again.
Spots
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Lori Santiago as a General Manager did an OUTSTANDING job during out stay last weekend. We were there as a group - we had a total of 4 rooms, 8 adults and 10 kids. We were pampered. Lori has done a great job motivating her employees to perform a very outstanding job. WE loved our stay there and if we are again in the area, this is the hotel that we will be staying. Her staff (Anitra, Zack, Lance - were just a few to mention) was very polite. Breakfast was great, hot and fresh. Since we had kids with us, sometimes if we were late getting to breakfast, knowing how big our group was, they were very nice to stay open a little late until our kids had the breakfast. That was a HUGE help. Lori kept on checking in with us a few times a day to make sure our kids or us did not need anything else. She is a great asset to Homewood Suites.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

To exceed our guests expectations is what we strive to do and it looks like we did just that for you. Thank you for your very kind words and please make it a point to stop by a visit us again.