“Time away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 40 hotels in Chesapeake
Mechanicsville, United States
“Time away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Homewood Staff makes me feel at home from the time I arrive until the time I depart. They know me by name, and when I am away from home for weeks at a time, they treat me like family. The rooms are nice and the oversize beds are wonderful. All of my needs and wants are satisfied.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Swoods2, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
I shared your review and comments with our team and we were all extremely delighted that you feel so at home at our property! As an extended stay hotel it is imperative that our guests feel welcome, warm, comfortable and at home when they are aware from their own home for such long stretches. I am so proud that my team has obviously gone above and beyond to make you feel all of those things! Thank you for your thoughtful words on our team, our complimentary amenities and our spacious beds and suites. We know you have many choices in Chesapeake and we thank you for continuing to choose our property when you visit.

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Gretna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our stay was very nice. The only problem that occurred for us was that we booked a smoking room and was told it was smoking at check in. When we got to the room, noticing there was no ash tray, I called down and spoke to the desk clerk who once again said it was smoking, but when I asked about the missing ash tray, she said "hang on, no it's not. We're transitioning into a non smoking hotel and don't have any." Our room obviously was a smoking room due to evidence left of burn marks on the chair and floor, and we had another guest, right down the hall tell us they were in a smoking room and could smoke in their's...but this was only a minor problem and we just had to make other arrangements. Breakfast was wonderful and the staff was very nice. Would stay again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

It was wonderful to see such positive comments about our staff and our complimentary breakfast. It is so important to provide accommodations so that our guests are comfortable and truly believe that they recieved a value for their money. We do apologize for any miscommunication concerning the smoking preference on your room though I am pleased to see that your overall stay was extremely pleasant. Our team looks forward to again providing a comfortable and hospitable stay for you when you return to Chesapeake.
Sterling, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stay at Hilton Hotels when traveling but this was our first visit to Homewood Suites. Overall, it was a very nice place to stay. I would certainly recommend it to others in the market for suite style accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Swoods2, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
As a traveler who frequently chooses to stay at the Hilton family of hotels, we are beyond thrilled that you chose our Homewood Suites to be your first! Even more rewarding is to see that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to share with our Team your comments and positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you home the next time you visit our property.
Hilton Head Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The staff has done very well to make our stay here comfortable. Issues with the washing machine and A/C units are a challenge for a staff limited in number, so that is a consideration. Nonetheless, they accommodated us in our stay here and went the extra mile to take care of us. We have been regulars here for 3 years now and the staff continue to be hospitable and helpful and remember our names! We're looking forward to our next stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

We appreciate you taking the time to share such wonderful comments about our Team. We are incredibly thankful that you have chosen to stay with us for the last 3 years and I am so pleased that one of the main reasons you choose our property is due to the level of hospitality that you have recieved. Certainly we are a small staff but it is very true that we go out of our way as much as possible to make our guest's stays as comfortable as possible. After all, this is supposed to be your home away from home! Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Akron, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The guest clerk, DeAnna, went above and beyond her duty making sure that my wife had accommodations for working on graduate work. I was well pleased that a clerk made sure that her guests were satisfied; after experiencing a negative ordeal with Staybridge. My wife was able to work on her doctoral work in a quite, relaxing, clean, and comfortable room. However, my wife and I experienced certain times of smelling cigarette smoke in the room, probably through the ventilation system, that made us uncomfortable considering that we both have asthma. Overall, our experience was great. There are many stores and restaurants in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Swoods2, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property for your most recent stay. We appreciate your kind comments concerning DeAnna and I am looking forward to sharing them with her! She is truly a great asset to have on our team. Though we are sorry to see you had a negative experience at another property in our area, I'm thrilled you chose our property and that we were able to improve upon your stay in the area. We know you have many options to choose from when visiting Hampton Roads and we really do go out of our way to make every guest's stay the best stay possible.
Suwanee, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Ok, I've got to separate the property from the people. While on a short stay in a one bedroom suite I was in a car accident and needed to stay a few more days in a nearly full hotel. I had my wife and two kids along and did'nt want a studio suite. The management and front desk and cleaning staff went out of their way to help us out. They even upgraded us to a 2 Bedroom, 2 bath suite for one night. Excellent service all around.

Now on to the property itself. This is an excellent location, just across the street from Greenbriar mall, just off the highway. There is just about everything you'd want to eat fairly close.

The hotel itself is a typical Homewood Suties, with studio suites, one bedrooms and two bedrooms. The one bedrooms have a small living area with a double sleeper sofa, chair and a two seat table. The kitchenette has a full-size refrigerator. Like most properties with kitchens, there were pots, but no cooking or eating utensils(?). I have never understood that, but I guess you could get them from the front desk.

ROOMS: The room was generally clean. Now, I am a road warrior. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in every major city in America. And I find this to be the case at most hotels, regardless of the price or quality, is that NO hotel room is really clean.
All three rooms I was in had dirty doors, cabinets and handles. What I mean is that there were dirty finger marks, toothpaste, dust, excetera on the doors. It's just not something that gets clean. My advice, always, ALWAYS bring wet wipes and wipe down all the secondary surfaces (door handles, coffee maker lid, drawer handles, light switches). All that being said, it wasnt nearly enough to be a deal breaker.

My only issue that might keep me from returning to the hotel is the lack of a Jack & Jill bathroom. while we could separate our kids with a door in the one bedroom suite, they had to come into our room to go to the bathroom.

The 2 bedroom/2 bath. Huge room! Living room area that was probably as big as a typical apartment. However, they have the same small two person table in the kitchen. I'd recommend to the owners to get a larger table, or put a second two person table. The room is set up with living in the middle and a bedroom on each end. Our rooms had two king beds. Again, no bathroom accessible from the living area. If you have people staying on the sofa bed, remeber that.

BREAKFAST/FOOD: The breakfast was good variety, but not nearly hot enough (or cold enough). My kids complained every morning about the milk not being cold for their cereal. The eggs, sausage and other hot food, was NOT every hot. There was one toaster for bagels and toast but one side of the toaster didnt work. There were two waffle makers, and only one worked. On the pro side, the coffee was good, there was a good variety of food items and different choices daily.
The nightly (Mon-Thur) manager's reception was really light dinner. We didnt eat there, as we were in town visiting relatives, but I checked it out and there were burgers and fries with all the fixings, and the other there were hot wings that looked pretty good.
There was always fruit and coffee available. There is also a small suite shop with a few easy meals to purchase (note to management, get some healthier items.)

POOL. The pool was a small outdoor pool. The pool area seemed to be in decent shape, but was in an odd place. It's right next to the main entry, with parking spaces looking right at it. It There is a fence around it, but it lacked privacy. I'd recommend some potted trees or bushes to beautify and add privacy.

All in all, good hotel and would recommend, depending on your situation.

Room Tip: If you want to stay away from elevator noise, remember there are two here. request a room in the 10...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Swoods2, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I am beyond pleased to see that you felt our entire Team went above and beyond to accommodate you during your recent stay with us! It is so wonderful to see that our Team's efforts to offer exceptional service is appreciated by such a seasoned traveler as yourself. Thank you also for offering suggestions on areas where we can improve as our Team finds these reflections to be incredibly important is insuring we are offering the best stay possible to all of our guests. Thank you again for your kind words and for choosing our property when in the area. We hope to see you again soon!
Libertyville, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our stay was ok but the rooms were very tired and needed some serious updating. The tub had chips of porcelain out and rust showing through. The carpet in the living area had Cheerios scattered on it when we arrived. Not a huge deal but shows a lack of professionalism on the housekeeping staff. Breakfast food was fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for sharing some information about your recent stay at our property. While we apologize for any unfortunate events during your stay, please know that we share all of our guest's comments and reviews with our team in an effort to continuously improve our ability to be as hospitable as possible. We know you have many options in the Hampton Roads area so I am hoping that you will choose to stay with us again. We are currently rolling out a new bedding collection and new sleeper sofas and with many new additional items coming very soon. We would like for you to have another opportunity to experience our property and the new items we are bringing in!

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier? Share your experiences!