“Housekeeping and Restaurant need Improvement” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1565 Crossways Boulevard, Chesapeake, VA 23320   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 40 hotels in Chesapeake
Albany, New York
“Housekeeping and Restaurant need Improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have been a Hilton Honors member for at least five years, and travel often. I always stay at Hilton properties, and this Hilton Garden Inn is the only one that I will not return to. The two problems are with housekeeping and the restaurant. In terms of housekeeping, even after leaving a tip, the bathroom floor was not swept, the shower not cleaned, two cloths not replaced, and a pizza box from the previous night not removed from the room. The restaurant is in need of some major help! The cook was clearly in way over her head, and said she had not even cooked some of the items on he menu. So, I ordered some simple things. One of them turned out good, and the other was just bad. I don't think it was her fault - she clearly had not been appropriately trained. So, if you're not concerned with having a decent restaurant to eat at, and don't care if housekeeping does anything more than take out the garbage (some of it), then this is a good hotel for you. Otherwise, consider staying somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rachel G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your stay in the area and we apologize for the problems you encountered. We have addressed the issue of guest room cleanliness with our housekeepers and can assure you this will be an area of improvement for us. Your feedback regarding our restaurant will help us to make improvements there as well. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights in late August on business. I've also stayed here several times over the past five or so years. It's a good HGI, not outstanding but good. The staff are very friendly and efficient but the rooms are getting a bit tired. LIke most good hotels in Hampton Roads that are not on the beach, the nightly rates are heading up and up compared to 24 months ago.

The parking can be a pain as this property shares part of a lot with the Homewood Suites next door. Both hotels are frequently packed and it gets tight.

Breakfast is standard HGI fare. However, every HGI that I've experienced has a different breakfast routine. Some have you order directly from the short-order chef, wait for your food, then find your seat. Others, like this location, direct you to a seat and then come around like a full-service restaurant to take orders, fill drinks, etc., as well as delilver your food. I don't have a preference but would like the process to be the same at each HGI. It seems that each property has the option to handle breakfast as they please and not to any stardard.

As for dinner, there are tons of the usual suspects (wings, roadhouses, pizza, etc.) very close to this hotel. It backs up to a sprawling shopping center but it doesn't intrude on the privacy of the rooms. It's also adjacent to I-64 with easy access to most areas of Tidewater.

Overall, a good HGI for business but I would look elsewhere for a leisure trip.

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This HGI is in need of decor updating. The front desk staff and dining room staff were all excellent. However, this is not a good hotel for extended stay. Housekeeping more interested in using computers in business center than concentrating on clearning rooms. Spent 8 nights and my bed linen was never changed. My floor was never vacuumed and my drinking glasses were rarely changed out. The bathroom on the other hand was impeccably kept. Okay for weekend stay but do not recommend for extended stay.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms had more water pressure.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Rachel G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with our hotel. I appreciate your kind words about our staff, however, I am truly sorry that your experience with our housekeeping did not meet your satisfaction. Rest assured, that we have taken the necessary steps to correct this issue with our housekeeping staff, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. There is always room for improvement, as we strive to be the best. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel if I can be of any further assistance in any way.
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Guys...second weekend of travel in a row. Glad to be in a place that is clean and smells fresh!. The check in process was seamless...even though I arrived 3 hrs prior to check in. The staff was very accomodating to myself and a guy in front of me that wanted to switch rooms. I did not get breakfast the next day because did not want to spend the $10.95 but it is normally yummy. I have stayed here before. (at least twice) Hard to find decent hotels in this area for a reasonable price for some reason. But this is one I will definitely return too! Great location close to highway and shopping!

Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

During my recent stay at this Hilton property, I found the staff to be very courteous, professional and accommodating. The room was very comfortable with a refrigerator AND microwave which was a pleasant surprise. Most rooms are not providing microwaves now. There is a lovely and relaxing area to eat breakfast, pick up a snack or have dinner. I will definitely go back here. Excellent overall!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I usually love Hilton Garden Inns, so when I suddenly needed to drive down to Chesapeake for a night to take care of personal business the next day, we used his Hilton Honors points to book a discounted rate for a room at the Greenbrier HGI. The process was quick and easy, and was the only good thing about the entire stay.

Short story: Reeking, stinky room, pathetic mattresses (this location does NOT have Comfort Select mattresses in anything but king suites here, which is only disclosed on a tiny sign at the front desk or if you ask why your mattress sucks), low water pressure, crappy appliances, multiple broken things (AC, door locks, ice machine), did not feel safe outside the hotel at night (dark and inconvenient parking lot, doors completely locked even to guest keys late at night, when safety matters to me most), and worst of all, weaselly staff with no follow-through that lies/forgets/just wants you to go away. Utterly not worth the Hilton Garden Inn name, nor the premium rate charged compared to the many other hotels located in the immediate vicinity. My recommendation as both a guest and a long-time resident of Chesapeake? Stay anywhere else but here until Hilton corporate can audit this place and make major changes.

Long story: Within 30 minutes of booking the reservation online through the HHonors site, my husband received a call from the front desk to explain that they were very full and only had a few smoking rooms available. Our preference is non-smoking rooms, which is on our HHonors profile and was what we of course booked -- but the manager assured us up and down and sideways that they book the smoking rooms as non-smoking sometimes because they clean thoroughly and the rooms don't smell bad at all, and that it should all be fine. Since I would be there in just 4-5 hours and it was only overnight, my husband told them it sounded okay, just to hustle to clean the room and air it out before we arrived.

When I got to the hotel around 12:30am, the parking lot was completely packed. I had to park around the side of the building, where it was surprisingly ill-lit. The gate for the dumpster was wide open and blocking part of the lane that wrapped around the hotel, and 2 drunk guests were making their way across the parking lot as I briskly walked towards the front of the hotel to where it was safer and better lit.

The lobby doors were already locked, so I had to locate the buzzer and wait to be let in. Check-in was prompt, but I was told when requesting late checkout that "The latest we can go for that room is 11:30am," a half-hour past the 11am regular checkout time, and "I don't doubt someone will be here at 11:30 asking about early check-in for it!" Wha...? I don't understand how that even makes sense -- either offer late checkout (always 1pm whenever I've stayed at other HGIs) or tell me late checkout is unfortunately not available. It made me feel like I was responsible for their busy bookings and whatever possible delays and logistics they might have with their next day's guests instead of making me feel like a HHonors guest who was, in fact, currently handing them my payment over the counter.

After checking in, I of course had to go all the way back outside to the dark parking lot, which made me nervous. I got my bags and headed for the side door of the hotel now that I had my guest keys, but there was a deadbolt thrown on the exterior side door to keep it from opening despite my keycard unlocking the electronic lock. Frustrated, I had to walk all the way back the way I had come, around the dumpster gates and back through the lobby to go up to my room.

The elevator was hot, at least 90 degrees, yet curiously deafening from the roar of some ineffectual fan or non-functional AC unit.

As soon as I opened the door to my guest room, I was hit in the face with the worst smoke smell I have ever smelled in any hotel, motel, apartment, house, or any space, really. I have relatives who smoke, so I am accustomed to staying places where the environment isn't 100% smoke-free, but this was beyond anything I had experienced or prepared myself for. I am not an asthmatic bloodhound but I do have some allergies, and they started acting up immediately. It was not the kind of smell anyone could miss or get used to -- all I can figure is that either the front desk guy who called us was either an amazing optimist, had no olfactory senses, or flat out lied to keep our reservation. When I got home, even my ex-smoker husband made me wash my hair, all my clothing, and febreeze my duffle bag to get rid of the awful smells clinging about my person.

Someone else's keys were sitting on my computer desk, too, so I had to wonder if someone else had been in the room and asked to be moved or what. It was a little disconcerting and offputting, not to mention weird to see someone else's full name and 2 keys just waiting in my reserved room...

It was 1am, and knowing the hotel was booked up, I figured toughing it out was really the only thing I could really do. I turned on the AC to try to at least filter the air and cool the room down, but as soon as the compressor kicked in it started making a rattling, groaning noise that sounded like a tractor trailer downshifting in the corner of the room. I let it run for a bit to see if it would work itself out while I turned down the bed. I felt the mattress -- flaccid mush -- so I hunted around for the adjustment dials on the mattress. No dice.

I had seen the many "We'll do what it takes to make you happy or you don't pay" guarantee signs all over the HGI website, at the front desk, in the elevators, and around the room, so at that point I decided to call down and, if nothing else, let them know about the very sad state of the room. What I got when talking to the front desk guy was a bunch of meh, nervously glib explanation-apologies, and an offer to comp me breakfast (despite me explaining that I had early business and no real desire to eat breakfast at the hotel.) I agreed to let them comp me breakfast though, and the front desk guy said he would slip it under my door with my zip-checkout paper.

Come 6am, I wake up and look over to see no nothing waiting by the door. No bill, no breakfast voucher. Okay... I hadn't really cared about breakfast, and by this point I figured I should check out in person anyway, so I just added that to my mental list of Things That Didn't Go Well During This Stay. I went out to take care of my early business and came back to shower and pack up, and still had nothing around my door but a newspaper.

As I was gathering my things to shower, Maintenance knocked on the door and announced themselves, then immediately started unlocking the door before I could even stand up. They look surprised to see me when I ran over and opened the door, and explained that they had been told I was gone already and they were there to fix the AC. I told them I would be checking out in about an hour and to come back then, so they apologized and left.

I decided to speed up and check out ASAP before anything else could go wrong or anyone else could barge in. The tub faucet was sad and weak, though the Waterpik showerhead did a good job, as usual, of outputting good shower pressure -- I always like the showerheads at HGIs, and it is one of the reasons my husband and I choose HGI over other hotels.

I complained at the front desk when I finally went to check out, listing all the problems I had had in my very brief, unrestful, and unenjoyable 11 hour stay there. Again, the lady at the front desk gave me very halfhearted explanation-apologies, said I should have just come by the front desk and I could have gotten my free breakfast voucher (missing the point about followthrough entirely), and finally she offered to refund 15,000 HHonor points. I had no time or desire to haggle, and had already resolved to speak to Hilton corporate about my stay, so I accepted and went on my way, figuring my husband would at least get back the points he'd used up to get a better rate on the crappy room I'd wound up with.

He was able to get a full refund after speaking to Hilton customer service, but incidentally, I just checked and my "15,000 point" compensation offered by the front desk turned out to be 1,500 points instead. Fitting, really, since I feel the HGI Chesapeake Greenbrier is about 1/10th the quality of any other HGI I or my husband has ever stayed at.

It is unfortunate that this place has the Hilton Garden Inn label, because it really is bad enough that it makes me and my husband rather hesitant to go "Well, we'll just stay at a Hilton Garden Inn if there's one nearby!" A name that used to be a touchstone for consistently pleasant and comfortable for us now will need to be thoroughly vetted at each location before we'd spend our points and/or cash there.

Room Tip: Pick a room at another hotel nearby -- seriously, don't waste your money here. Definitely don...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Rachel G, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
We always appreciate any and all feedback, as we are constantly striving to improve our service and quality. We stand behind our Hilton Garden Inn Promise, that if you are not satisfied you do not have to pay. In this instance, we refunded the guest 100% of what they paid, 100% of the Hilton Honors points they used, and in addition we credited their Hilton Honors account with 1,500 bonus points. This is not a typical experience with us, and I am truly sorry that we did not meet this guest's expectations on this occasion.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I would say just about everything at this property was OK. but just that. We had the two double room and the mattresses needed to be replaced. They were not to the level of comfort you would expect for 155 dollars a night. The tub area of the bathroom had some sloppy caulking but overall was acceptable. I would say, the front desk was very attentive and the staff in the restaurant was excellent. Would I recommend this hotel, maybe, but not for this price point in this area. Too many other options.

Room Tip: Book the king. They apparently have sleep number (or their version of) mattresses.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chesapeake/Greenbrier? Share your experiences!