Ate lunch here on a week day last week with my husband. We were really impressed. I'll make a list.
1. We were greeted by the staff the minute we walked inside. It's a small, cozy restaurant. You expect to be greeted in places like this, but often you aren't.
2. They have multiple daily specials across the meat world: fish, pork, chicken, etc. They drop the price on each dish AND add another side, so you save about $3.50 on the plate.
3. The place is clean. I didn't visit the restrooms, but the dining area is clean and bright.
4. The food. Oh my, the food is just amazing. I had jerk chicken, white rice with black bean sauce, and collards. I ate every tender bite of that chicken and finished up every kernel of rice and beans. Collars were done perfectly: not mushy and perfectly slippery--lightly--with oil. Spice on the meat was perfect, not too much, not too little, hint of smokiness from the grill. My husband had the baked tilapia special and green beans. I tried his lunch too. Succulent fish encased in perfectly crispy, light breading. Tender-crisp green beans with just the right amount of salt and oil. We enthused over the flavors and textures throughout the entire meal.
5. Early into our meal the cook came out and asked us if everything was OK. Now that was a nice touch. Don't you love it when they care if you're having a good experience? He suggested I try a particular sauce that was already on the table, told me it was perfect with the jerk chicken. I tried it. He was right.
6. Someone was cleaning up empty tables regularly to make sure there was a place to sit for the long line of customers that thronged the place at lunch.
7. With tax, our bill came to $16.01, and it was a full meal, my friends, not just a light lunch bite.
8. They serve dessert, wonderful things on plates on the counter so that you can get a look, but I did not order any.
9. It wasn't really noisy. This is a beef my husband and I complain about regularly. We don't mind noise, music, the sound of other diners. In fact those things add a little dynamism to the experience. What we don't like is noise so overwhelming that we can't hear each other speak. CG had CNN going up on the wall on a big screen, but they kept it low so that diners could visit. Thank you CG.
To sum up, this place is all about the fabulous Jamaican food. But the friendly, attentive service and clean surroundings made it over the top. I highly recommend CG, and my husband and I will definitely be returning soon.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.