“Proceed with caution booking here!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Sun Suites Of Chesapeake
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1520 Crossways Blvd, Chesapeake, VA 23320   |
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Chesapeake
New Castle, Pennsylvania, United States
“Proceed with caution booking here!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I made a reservation at this hotel back in May for a stay in Aug was given a conformation number and total. I then called the first week of July and made changes to my reservation at this time I was given a different conformation number and the new total. I called today July 24 to ask a few questions was told that I didn't have a reservation in the system there was portfolio with my name but no reservation mind you I have never stayed at this hotel. The gentleman that I spoke to told me no problem though that they could get a reservation set up for me there were still rooms available. Go thru the process of setting up the reservation only to be quoted a rate that was 15$ per night more then before. When I ask about the rate he tells me well thats because you are coming in peak season and rates change. I said it didn't make a difference I was given one rate and it was not my fault that my reservation wasn't there. He didn't want to help me at all told me even with a reservation you are not guarantee the rate that the rates change based on the season. At that point I told him to cancel the reservation and that I would find a another place to stay. I will be driving over 8hrs with 2 children and myself I can only be greatful that I am a super planner and need a little bit more info from them or I would of ended u p 8hrs from home with no place to go. All I can say is proceed with caution with this place seems that they may rip people off.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Monterey, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Decent rooms, fair prices. Central location to desired places to visit. Relatively close to all desired eating places. Free WiFi and HBO a nice benefit. Would recommend to friends when they travel to this area. Friendly check in staff and handy vending machines.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was in town for a short stay but my time at Sun Suites was great. The manager, Byron, was gracious and accomodating and even though he was clearly working on several tasks at one time, he still gave guests the courtesy and respect and speedy response we expected. The room was nice and spacious and clean. And even though we were on the bottom floor, it was a quiet night. I would totally stay there again and I encourage anyone who is looking for an inexpensive hotel to check in at Sun Suites

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Winder, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

The staff was courteous but I stayed in multiple rooms and they were just terrible. There was at least one thing that didn't work in each room and the building has a very obvious clock roach infestation. Far an away the worst motel I have stayed in yet.

• Stayed November 2012
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I reserved a room at the Sun Suites for my families military move to Chesapeake, VA. At this time I was traveling only with my 9 year daughter and am 7 months pregnant. I had a Expedia coupon so the room only cost me $26. We are expecting a 11pm check in time.

Three hours into our 10 hour drive from Florida to Chesapeake, I got a call from an office that I had left my wallet in Florida. I did happen to have a credit card on me so thank Goodness, I had access to gas. I did not have my drivers license. I had a college ID and and a ID that had my maiden name. I immediately called the hotel and explained what had happened asking if it was okay to be able to check in without my drivers license. I was told I could not check in, that it was a very strict Expedia policy that I could not check in without a federal id. I asked if i got Expedia to confirm my identity, if I would be able to, I explained that I was 7 months pregnant and traveling alone with my 9 year old daughter. The girl at the front desk said yes, and to have Expedia call them.

I immediately called Expedia and was comforted when they explained that they did not have a federal ID requirement, that my alternate ID's should work fine and that they would confirm this with the hotel. The Expedia rep put me on hold to call the hotel. After a long wait the Expedia rep came back to tell me that the hotel was refusing to allow me to check in and they were also refusing to refund the cost of the hotel based upon my failure to cancel my booking within 24 hours.

So... 7 months pregnant with a child, this hotel refused to allow me to check in with two alternate id options AND were going to charge my credit card for the hotel room in full (granted only $26...), even though it was their refusal to allow me to check in. The girl that spoke to me at the front desk, with whom i stayed very polite, was clearly upset and kept apologizing about the decision her manager was making. A manager that never got on the phone to discuss the situation with me.

Take this review how you like. My brother did end up checking in and staying one night in the hotel and his review, while horrible, I will not speak to. I will only speak to the obvious lack of concern for patrons the management displayed to me and my daughter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

For the price it was OK, staff was helpful.kitchen was small, but they have pots and pans to borrow. Bed was some what uncomfortable. location was good, air conditioner work well.first time here.I dont think I would reccommend this place beacuse It was only ok.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
manitowoc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I don't normally write reviews but this stay compelled me to say something. I stayed here 3 years ago and enjoyed the time but this time wow it has really gone down hill. Actually checking in was the best part after that it was downhill. I had stepped into a 60 degree room. it took a day to get the room to a normal temperature. Everything was ice cold so it all started to sweat once the room started to warm up. The carpet was so dirty it was a totally different color from the area under the furniture. I had some evening visitors also and bought some cockroach traps to slow them down. I have quite a selection now. Moving into the bathroom I found a toilet that kept running. It was so bad I had to turn off the water just to have some quiet. The maintainence man was apparently unable to fix it. From the condition around here I suspect the maintenace staff are not to competent or abservant. The cockroaches were one thing but this was the other fatal flaw, the bathtub had a crack running down the middle and water is actually running under the tub. The water diverter was nearly impossible to engage. They also advertise free internet but the service was slow even though there was a strong signal. One more thing the smoke alarm is hanging from the ceiling by its 2 wires and the free HBO channels keep cutting out but the kitchenete was clean.

The day staff were pleasant but the evening staff don't really seem to want to tak much responsibility for the hotel they work for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sun Suites Of Chesapeake? Share your experiences!