“it sure has changed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Chesapeake
manitowoc
“it sure has changed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I don't normally write reviews but this stay compelled me to say something. I stayed here 3 years ago and enjoyed the time but this time wow it has really gone down hill. Actually checking in was the best part after that it was downhill. I had stepped into a 60 degree room. it took a day to get the room to a normal temperature. Everything was ice cold so it all started to sweat once the room started to warm up. The carpet was so dirty it was a totally different color from the area under the furniture. I had some evening visitors also and bought some cockroach traps to slow them down. I have quite a selection now. Moving into the bathroom I found a toilet that kept running. It was so bad I had to turn off the water just to have some quiet. The maintainence man was apparently unable to fix it. From the condition around here I suspect the maintenace staff are not to competent or abservant. The cockroaches were one thing but this was the other fatal flaw, the bathtub had a crack running down the middle and water is actually running under the tub. The water diverter was nearly impossible to engage. They also advertise free internet but the service was slow even though there was a strong signal. One more thing the smoke alarm is hanging from the ceiling by its 2 wires and the free HBO channels keep cutting out but the kitchenete was clean.

The day staff were pleasant but the evening staff don't really seem to want to tak much responsibility for the hotel they work for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

very dirty and nasty room, horrible customer service. Speech less just look at this images.
Since I was driving from NYC after flying from work. I cannot find out more rooms in the area and I have to stay at this hotel since I kept driving to the Outer Banks (NC).
I think the building and location is great and I cannot understand why the housekeeping and the management do not pay attention about the rooms. How they can allow the visitor to have this negative experiance.

Room Tip: Excellent location just very poor maintenance
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed at the hole in the ground a few days ago for work and so glad I didn't have to pay. My roommate luckily brought bed bug spray and sprayed our whole room. It had a very small kitchen, but I would have never used it because it was very dirty. The room was pretty small; the bed even seemed small. I was given a heads up about this place and brought my own sheets - which was a blessing. The mattress was very worn and needs to be replaced. The tub was filthy and luckily I had sandals to be able to take a shower. The place reeked of smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. Hope I never have to stay here again! The area had a ton to offer - plenty of places to each at shop, but also plenty of other places to stay! We had about 30 people staying here but they would only give us one key per room - this was quite a hassle as everyone goes and does their own thing for dinner.

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jacksonville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We recently stayed in (2) non-smoking rooms-a Queen size(room 335)&2-double beds(room 312) for 2 nights.We had (2) other guests with us.Queen size bed linen was stained & we had to ask for clean linen for the (2) rooms.The 2 double beds were not cleaned.The room was smoked filled. As soon as one opens the door the smell of smoke hits you strongly. The bed linen was not changed,our clothing in our luggage smelled of cigerette smoke after we left the hotel suite, the floors were not vacuumed, the 2-double beds were broken, the refrigerator was not working, there was urine smell in the elevator and the hallway.We called & informed the hotel staff that we would check in late. After inspection of the rooms we were told that there were no other rooms available until maybe the next day.The hotel staff was cordial. We stayed in this hotel about (2) years ago & our stay @ that time was much better than this visit. We will not return here nor recommend this hotel suite to others.

Room Tip: Ensure that you check and believe the review of the hotel before booking and recommending others.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SunSuitesChesapeake, Manager at Sun Suites Of Chesapeake, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
We would like to thank you for the feedback about Sun Suites in Chesapeake,VA. We do apologize for any inconveniences that may have caused your stay at Sun Suites to be unpleasant. We always push to make sure our guest are happy and that they enjoy their stay. We would like the opportunity to make your stay worthwhile in the future. Please feel free to contact us to discuss your future stay with us. Thanks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

My friend & I and our daughters came for the weekend looking for the cheapest hotel we could find. We paid $65 a night & were about 20 minutes from the beach. We were greeted by a wonderful staff who immediately put us in the model room. We were very pleased. It was very clean, smelled fresh & had everything we needed! The coffee pot plug still had the plastic on it! Brand new! The room was small, but suited us just fine; very cozy. I think anyone who placed negative reviews maybe expected a little too much. We were very happy & are planning our next adventure! It will include Sun Suites!! Thanks so much!

• Stayed July 2012
It is always nice to hear feedback from our guest. We are glad you chose to stay with us. Thank you for the kind words and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. It is always our pleasure to meet our guest. We look forward to your next stay with us. Thanks Amenia
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a cheap place to stay for two nights while we attended two concerts at NTelos. The room is not great but served its purpose. The floor could use a good deep clean but no bed bugs. The mattress looked new and I even lifted it up to make sure no pesky creatures would attack me in the night. This is an extended stay so expect people living in the rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you submitting your feedback and will use it to continue in our efforts to make our hotel better. We hope you will give us another opportunity and look forward to serving you again. Thanks
Goose Creek, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

THIS IS THE CHEAPEST PLACE IN THE AREA!!! I could list all the things that suck, but we ARE close to all the food/shopping/interstate. The staff is really nice and they are willing to help, be nice to them and they will give you what you need. Also, the hotel owners must've seen the reviews and now they have brand new refrigerators (Whirlpool) and changed out a bunch of the chairs. This would be great if you need to stay somewhere cheap for a night or two. Go to the beach/downtown and stay out of the room.

If you have kids with game counsels, bring a TV (or a converter box) with you or expect to have family time. The TV is from early 1990's and there are no components/HDMI in the back of these suckers. The internet IS NOT HIGH SPEED (there are signs that say this all over the place), but it's slightly faster than dial up. There are tons of Redboxes around here, though.

Also, bring stuff to make things sanitary and don't go barefoot in these rooms (they are sticky/dirty). The kitchenette is just enough for two people to cook a decent meal and bringing a toaster oven helps. Expect to bring/buy your own stuff if you want better tools/cookware. The hotel plans on you taking things so they buy the cheap stuff to keep the prices low.

Overall, if you want something better, than pay for something better. This isn't a 5 star place and never will be.

Room Tip: Never had problems near the lobby. There are a ton of cameras around here and no one has been THAT d...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
SunSuitesChesapeake, General Manager at Sun Suites Of Chesapeake, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for your time to submit a review of our hotel on trip advisor. I would like to apologize for the issues that you encounter with in your room during your stay with. I am working on making sure that all of the procedures are being followed as to making our guest satisfied. I have recently taken over as General Manager, and would like to accommodate you in the future. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for me. Thank you for your business.

Been to Sun Suites Of Chesapeake? Share your experiences!