“Get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Chesapeake
Ft. Bragg, NC
“Get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This motel is nicely remodeled but pay the extra $10 and go to the Cedar Tree across the street. No microwave, no refrigerator, no iron, no hair dryer; not even a coffee pot in the room. The front desk was efficient but curt until YOU engage him into conversation. I was in hospitality for many years but would not hire someone who could not at the least say Good Mornong or Good Afternoon before asking for a name. The only thing he would say when I told him what type of room I was looking for was What's your last name. He would not even acknowledge that I had a request, such as "Yes, Let me see what I can do for you." Just ill-mannered.

Room Tip: Close to the Wawa station where you can get a good cup of coffee, breakfast, or fast food item at go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience. At Red Roof Inn, every guest is important to us. I will look into why we fell short in this instance. We do try to offer basic amenities, as our Superior King room currently has in-room coffee pots, and we do have irons and hairdryers available at the front desk. Our main focus has always been to offer a clean and comfortable room at a reasonable price. I appreciate you sharing your comments as we are always looking for ways to improve our service and our amenities.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Summerton, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have now stayed at renovated Red Roof properties over the last 2 years or so and always stay in the Business King. I have probably stayed 10-12 days over the last year or so. But my most recent experiences at this property and one other have now convinced me to spend more money and go to LaQuinta or Hampton Inns.

This property is in the midst of a hotel and shopping area, which makes it a good location. It is across the street from an industrial truck sales lot and next to a lower end apartment/motel, but the rest of the "neighbors" are higher end hotels. It seemed pretty safe, but the desk clerk did lock himself in at night. This Red Roof is appeared to be larger than most, with more buildings but less parking lot. A large Wawa is walkable.

I received a RediCard email for a discount due to the recent renovations but it was not honored due to a dog show. This made me assume the renovation was very recent. But when I got to the room, I was rather disappointed. Although it was renovated, the air conditioner unit was covered in years of dust and gunk and I did not want to even touch it. I had to touch it, however, to turn it on in January due to the 80 degree temperature of the uncontrollable heat coming out of other vents in the room.

Although Red Roof is now "smoke free", that grungy A/C blew smoky air into the room for the duration of my stay. Upon my return home, my luggage smelled like smoke. Since no one was smoking, I can only assume that years of smoke were in the filter of that A/C.

I did report the heat and smoke to the front desk and the response, more than once, was, "I have no idea, sweetheart. I will write that down." Upon further discussion with other staff, it appeared that I had to convince them that what I was saying was true. I was asked whether I was having hot flashes. They did offer to take a look at it, but by then, I was on my way out.

The one bright spot in this experience was the very friendly and efficient man who checked me in. Even though the hotel was full, he was helpful and cheerful, which is nice after a long drive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the heat in the room and air conditioner. I have made the proper adjustments to this situation as I have noted in a previous survey, and hope that your future travels will be much more comfortable. Thanks again for staying with us.
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had driven 14 hours. I was exhausted and facing another long day of driving the next day. The desk clerk was polite, but brusque. She gave me a menu for Chinese food when I asked if any restaurants nearby delivered. The food was so awful, I can't believe no one has ever mentioned it to her! The bed was AWFUL!! I woke up with a horrible back ache. I asked for a wake up call and I was told they performed them, but they never called me and I was late getting up and getting started. So, to re-cap, I got up late and cranky and in pain. The Red Roof Inn is inexpensive and now I know why. The room was clean, that's all I'll give them.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you sharing your comments about your most recent stay. I am glad to know that your room was very clean, as that is our priority.
I do apologize for the food delivery recomendation and the hard mattress. Our mattresses were recently replaced during our renovation and may feel a bit firm to some of our guests. I am sorry if this was uncomfortable to you. I will follow up to insure there is nothing wrong with the bed set. I will also look into the menu recomendations to see where we can make improvements with the local restaurants.
Thank you again for sharing your concerns, as we are always looking for ways to improve our operations.
Comins, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My father and I came down to Chesapeake to visit with some friends and attend our church. We initially booked through our church to an Econo Lodge in Norfolk near Military Circle Mall, and it was a nightmare for the week we stayed; we only stayed because the church had booked us for a week and we are traveling with our dog.

At the end of the nightmare week at Econo, we checked out this Red Roof as it's actually closer to our church, and in a much safer location. The rooms are all remodeled, and very up to date. The beds are new and CLEAN. The front desk staff is outstanding, Miss Sandra was very helpful, polite, and professional! They didn't charge anything extra for our dog, Molly, unlike Econo Lodge which charged a $25.00/day fee for the dog. This Inn is 100% smoke free, which is nice because there are not burns in the linen, or on the tubs like I have seen at other hotels. If I want to smoke, I go outside, which is fine because I just came from N Michigan where it's in the teens with a lot of snow, so I am enjoying the mild temps and weather.

There is a Wawa Gas Station and Convenience store located within a 2 minute (or less) walk, but is separated by trees so you don't get the noise. This Inn is located in a moderate - heavy traffic area, but there is no noise in the rooms which is great! Plenty of power plugs throughout the room, great lighting, fridge, wave, desk and nice roll around chair, flat screens, hardwood and carpet flooring.

I would certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: any room location should be fine. we are on the upper floor to the rear facing Greenbrier, which is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at the Chesapeake Red Roof Inn.
I am glad that you enjoyed the location, employees, and our newly renovated rooms.
We are very glad that your family and your pet were able to spend some time with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our staff.
We look forward to see you during your next visit to the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a quick, cheap place to stay in Chesapeake, VA so I booked online at redroofinn.com. I was pleased with the ease of navigating the site. Check-in was simple and fast. I got my keys and opened the room and SURPRISE! I was impressed by the chic design and quality of the room, especially because of the affordability. It featured modern decor and small conveniences like outlets on the nightstand so I could charge my cellphone next to me as I slept. I will definitely return to this location when passing through.

• Stayed February 2013
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your most recent experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our new decor. It is also nice to know that you used the outlet strip on the night stand to charge your phone. We recently added those just for that purpose.
Thank you again for sharing your comments, and it is our hope that you can stay wth us again very soon.
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

i just arrived in town and Karen at 7154 Chesapeake helped with everything thank god for her she was a god sent. best stay ever. she helped with food,directions, shopping she was amazing.the hotel has recently remodeled and the place looks great. it is in a great location to everything.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. I am so glad that you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms and our front desk representative. I will be sure to share your experience and comments with the rest of my staff, as we are always looking to provide our guests with a great stay. We look forward to your next visit to the area.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The rooms were recently updated - newly painted, laminate floors, modern furniture, clean. Really firm beds (which I hate). Had to pay approx $10 more per night to get the deluxe room; which has a refrigerator (no freezer) and a microwave. No coffee pot. Ice maker is by lobby; had to walk a ways to get to it. Called for an extra roll of toilet paper around 8 am and was told I had to wait until the housekeepers got there - was not told when that would be.

Overall, the room is nice for the price. The amenities and service are lacking a bit.

Room Tip: ask for a room that does not face the road (noisy)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Katie M.
Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you liked the look of the new room updates. We currently offer in room coffee in our Superior King rooms and as we continue updating all of our rooms, we are looking at adding additional amenities in the near future. I appreciate you sharing your recent experience and will be sure to share your comments with the rest of my team to see what we can do better.

Been to Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center? Share your experiences!