“Something different” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Chesapeake
virginia
“Something different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

My boyfriend just returned from overseas and we wanted someplace nice to stay and what was available at a good price was the aloft at Chesapeake. It was different from what we are used to, but hey we think outside the box and like to try something new. For example, the hallway was decorated primarily in brown which made it dark, and the room itself had a European feel. The staff was young, hip and friendly on the day shift...though for the life of me I could barely hear them from the loud music playing near the bar. Returning to our room after a day of sightseeing our room was not cleaned and when I requested new towels it took two hours to get. When we checked out there was no one at the receptionist desk.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We had reserved a room on-line with this hotel's website for 2 rooms. Got the confirmation email and left home with no worries. I called at 8 p.m. to let them know that we would be coming in late, around midnight, and were told there would be no problem. When we arrived at midnight, we were told that there were no more rooms, and we would have to be moved to another hotel. When I complained that we had called in, and should have been told then that there was no room (we passed dozens of hotels we could have stopped at) we never received an apology, or anything. The check-in when we went in was extremely loud, since it was in the middle of the bar, and I could barely hear what the receptionist was telling us. We went to the hotel they passed us to, and got a nice room, but with room only for three of the four of us, and my son ended up sleeping on the floor. Overall, a terrible experience, and I will never use aloft again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

Great for the laser tag crowd

This hotel shows an admirable design focus. The room was the height of efficiency-a modernist package in a very compact space. I can’t believe this won’t encourage a raft of imitators, since it looks great, and probably costs significantly less that a standard hotel room. Nice touches abound like bottled water, a contemporary magazine selection, indirect lighting, wall-mounted HD flat screen, electronics docking station (to play devices on the TV, or play your I pod, etc.). Also loved the carafe-less coffee maker, (much more sanitary).

However, there was a bit of a day-glo/clubby look that might have tried a little too hard. The elevator was excruciatingly slow. My room could have been cleaner. Noise level in the room was atrocious, exterior noises easily found their way into the room-along with an incredible whooshing noise that either came from the elevator, or from the noisiest HVAC system I’ve ever encountered, (as the noise seemed to somewhat abate later in the evening, I’m guessing it was the elevator-even though I was on the opposite side of the corridor from it).

The price for this place was surprisingly affordable, the Internet perfect, and the overall experience was different for a jaded traveler. An excellent attempt at breaking the mold that mostly hit the mark.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

The lobby of the aloft is very trendy and modern - comfortable chairs and couches indoor and in the outdoor lounge. The lobby offers a nice bar with great details, pool table, and snack bar. The staff was friendly and efficient. We arrived WAY before check-in and the front desk said it was no problem and checked us in immediately upon arrival. The rooms are extremely clean and comfortable. The only thing I would have liked more would be more light in the shower area. The layout of the room was very interesting. Very pleased with the room and will be sure to stay here again. The pool and workout area are smaller than you would expect, but still very nice. The lobby is loud at night, but fun. We had no issues wtih hearing the music in our rooms. Overall great stay. We booked on hotwire.com - 3 star for $69/night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
MD Suburbs, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I had heard great things about W hotels, so when I saw this property, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I booked it on Hotwire, for if I had paid rack rate, I would have exploded.

As the one poster pointed out, the bar is basically in the lobby, and the music that's blasting is LOUD. There were no signs telling people where to park to check in, and the kiosk did not give me my room keys, after repeated attempts.

When I got to my room, it wasn't any better . . . I appreciate the modern, minimalist look, but this was ridiculous. No closet -- only a "cubbyhole," like in a college dorm room; no soap at the sink, no ice buckets, the sheets were scratchy, and the bed was like a concrete slab.

And, you'd think that at a hotel that is trying so hard to be "hip" would attract a "hip" clientele . . . But, the clientele looked like they had appeared on "COPS," the Springer show, or both.

The very few pluses were: the staff is friendly, the shower is great, and there is a nice LCD TV in the room.

So, unless you are a hard-partying college kid or a lowlife, I'd stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Sometimes I like to stay somewhere fancy, and sometimes I just need a cheap place to crash after a long day out. For the latter, I usually wind up at some shabby, boring hotel room that always looks the same. This place is different, it's interesting, it's clean, and it's fun. Sure it's not a 500/night hotel, but for the money it's really great! My wife and I will definitely be back next time we're in town.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

The amenities were great - the staff were friendly and helpful - the room was MARVELOUS!! It was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to aloft Chesapeake? Share your experiences!